Tire Repair Equip

Willy

• Member Contributer

Wondering what advice the forum has for carrying basic tools for roadside tire repair.

Like anyone - I don't like the idea of putting a plug in a motorcycle radial. But if needed to get back on the road to a repair shop - is it an option?

What tools are folks carrying? And for slow leaks - carrying any on board air?

Preventing this situation is best I know. And i have roadside assistance. So that's an option. I don't carry anything right now and i did lose a tire with a pin hole from a small staple I picked up. I was home and no big deal. It gave me a good reason to replace my Dunlops with some Michelin PR's. :-)

Thanks for any advice - Ernie

didn't get to use it yet, but that's what I carry

slime-smart-spair-15-minute-emergency-tire-repair-kit.jpg

apparently they have a "power-sport kit" but I was in a pinch heading to middle of nowhere thousand miles from home

0000_Slime_Power_Sport_Smart_Spair_Tire_Inflator_--.jpg

• Member Contributer

Wondering what advice the forum has for carrying basic tools for roadside tire repair.

Like anyone - I don't like the idea of putting a plug in a motorcycle radial. But if needed to get back on the road to a repair shop - is it an option?

Preventing this situation is best I know. And i have roadside assistance. So that's an option. I don't carry anything right now and i did lose a tire with a pin hole from a small staple I picked up. I was home and no big deal. It gave me a good reason to replace my Dunlops with some Michelin PR's. :-)

There's a thread around here someplace from a few months back with interesting discussion about plugging tires. Some say replace the tire ASAP, others say plug and ride to the cords! Like you, I picked up a staple (in my rear tire last summer in Santa Fe during a 2,600-mile trip). It was a slow leak but a persistent one, taking the tire right down to the rim overnight. I used a gummy worm-type (string) plug with the glue already applied. I had to clean out/enlarge the hole with a ream before I could get the plug in. I shoved it about halfway into the puncture (which was near the center of the tread), cut it off flush, and inflated with a C02 cartridge. One cartridge was just enough to get the rim off the road so I could ride to a service station a few blocks away that had an air pump. There I pumped it up to 42 psi and tested the plug by dribbling some water on it--no leaks. I was scheduled to be in Denver that night, so I hit the road, checking the tire at each stop. It was fine. I spent three days in Denver and the tire didn't lose any air. Being a cheap bastige at heart, and since the tire had plenty of tread left, I decided to risk using it the remaining 2,000 miles of the trip home. Long story short, it didn't leak at all the whole way. As soon as I got home, I ordered a replacement tire (also a Michelin PR).

So, to answer your question, I carry a tire repair kit with self-gluing string plugs and C02 cartridges, but I also picked up a small 12-volt Slime compressor that I'll be carrying now too. I lucked out with the nearby service station last summer, but next time I might not be so fortunate.

As for whether to plug or not to plug, if the nail is near the middle of the tread a plug will certainly get you to a repair shop--and it may get you several thousand miles. Although I rode a plugged tire for 2,000 miles without incident, I'd be inclined to replace at the first reasonable opportunity. That tire, and its small contact patch, is all that's keeping you shiny side up. Tires are expensive, but $200 isn't much versus the consequences of a crash.

I carry a reaming tool(makes the hole big enough to stick a string gummy plug in the hole), and a tool that holds the string to insert. Also carry two types of air supply, one is a manual hi-volume bicycle hand pump($30 & 10" long), it will take forever, but it'll work. Two is the slime electric air pump. Three is the AMA members roadside service($49 a year including membership).

I ride most of the time without my hard bags, but all the time with a small soft tank and tail bag. The bike pump will fit in the tool area under the seat on the left side. The rest of the tyre stuff is in my tail bag.

"Stop n Go" tire plugger w/ C02. Just in case of no cell service. Reminds me to pull up a Youtube tutorial before my next long ride. Beats walkin'.

Ditto on the Stop 'n Go kit + carry the Slime Powersport compressor like Dimitry above. I used a mushroom plug from the Stop 'n Go kit on a Bridgestone BT-016 rear and put maybe 4k miles on it after the puncture (roofing nail) until time to replace. It barely lost any pressure at all over its lifespan, other than through normal wear. You just have to be sure to seat the plug correctly when installing.

The Cargol Gryp Turn 'n Go 30 second repair kit has recently been imported to the USA from Spain, however, and is reputed to be "DA BOMB!" I haven't tried it, and hopefully won't need to, but it's received rave reviews from those that have. Check it out here:

http://www.gryyp.com/cargol/ing.html

• Member Contributer

Everything I need for a trip is carried in a modified Chase Harper tank bag...

gallery_3131_51_64453.jpg

The Chase Harper rest on my home made aluminum tank bag bracket...

gallery_3131_51_15864.jpg

Tank bag rest upon the bracket and does not in any way touch the

expensive $2,500 aluminum tank...

gallery_3131_51_6823.jpg

Mr.RC45's tank bag contents:

1 Home made aluminum chain adjuster spanner

2 & 3 BMW tire repair kit

4 tape measure

5 fuses

6 pen

7 flashlite

8 razor

9 digital infrared thermometer for tracking tire temps

10 digital air pressure gauge

11 Rolaids (CHP gives me heartburn)

12 Brown Bomber (Advil)

13 home made tool to access tail cowl storage space

14 5mm allen... spare mirror screw... cross point tool...

15 525 master link...

16 Home made collapsible lift to levitate the rear tire in order to

lube my stinky chain every tank full of gas... (my belt drive

conversion will eliminate this silly stuff...)

Total weight 2 pounds 5 oz

1453472317_42ef8d9849_o.jpg

Stand extended...

RC45Maint.StandErect.JPG

Stand in place...

RC45Maint.StandLifts209pds.JPG

"Stop n Go" tire plugger w/ C02. Just in case of no cell service. Reminds me to pull up a Youtube tutorial before my next long ride. Beats walkin'.

Ditto on the Stop 'n Go kit + carry the Slime Powersport compressor like Dimitry above. I used a mushroom plug from the Stop 'n Go kit on a Bridgestone BT-016 rear and put maybe 4k miles on it after the puncture (roofing nail) until time to replace. It barely lost any pressure at all over its lifespan, other than through normal wear. You just have to be sure to seat the plug correctly when installing.

The Cargol Gryp Turn 'n Go 30 second repair kit has recently been imported to the USA from Spain, however, and is reputed to be "DA BOMB!" I haven't tried it, and hopefully won't need to, but it's received rave reviews from those that have. Check it out here:

http://www.gryyp.com/cargol/ing.html

That's cool.... the main thing I like about that system is you can plug the hole without losing much air. Trick... Thx for the link.

• Member Contributer

I carry the Aerostich kit, http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-expedition-pocket-plugger-tubeless-tire-repair-kit.html minus the CO2 cartridges.

4936a.jpeg

I have the 'power sport' slime pump pictured above but removed the guts from the plastic housing and carry the much smaller pump in a plastic bag under the seat.

I just put a mushroom plug in a few weeks ago without any glue and it's holding great.

• Member Contributer

I carry a "home made" tire plug kit and have used it several times.

1) "Sticky rope" tire plug kit available at most auto stores and Walmart. Kit comes with 4-8 sticky rope style plugs, insertion tool, and hole reaming tool (to make the hole the right size for the plugs). I have very good luck with this inexpensive kit.

2) To fill the tire after the being plugged I carry a portable compressor. Again available at Walmart for $10. I take the plastic housing off and replace the cigarette plug with alligator clips so I can attach directly to the battery of any motorcycle. By removing the plastic housing the compressor is small enough to be fitted into any "nooks and crannies" under the seat. Just be careful when using because the electric motor and drive gears are exposed.

3) Also a good idea is a Leatherman toolkit or a pair of needle nose pliers for removing nails and screws.

4) Pencil type tire pressure gauge.

5) OEM tool kit

Total kit is very small and shares a place under the seat with a role of electrical tape, fuses and water hose repair tape. Leaving it under the seat means I usually have it when I need it. They are cheap enough that I leave one under the seat of each MC I own so I don't have to remember to pack it.

I have ridden on a plugged tire for a year with no problems, but I usually replace the tire at the first convenient opportunity.

Jack

I have plugged a tire on the side of the road and been on my way in less than 10 minutes

• Member Contributer

I hate to be off topic, but I have to know.

BLS, what is the tape measure for??

• Member Contributer

It lets him know how long it took to plug the hole

• Member Contributer

This forum is great! You guys gave me several options and added a lot of practical advice along the way - BLS - especially the Rolaids! OK - I'll put a kit together and ride with one added option now... Thanks to all!

Ernie

• Member Contributer

When he gets in Rossi's garage he likes to take measurements of his GP bike. Not something the rest of us need to concern ourselves with. :dry:

• Member Contributer

Worm Plug kit

C02 cartridges

Bicycle pump with CO2 capability

Slime Electric Pump

Slime tire sealer

Plus Cell and Spot with roadside assist

• Member Contributer

Sticky ropes kit and small compressor that hooks to battery.

I tried Slime once - it did not work on a finishing nail hole, so never again. The sticky ropes have worked for me 3 times, including front. I had no troubles and did not change the tires until worn out.

• Member Contributer

Like vfrcapn said... Measuring MotoGp bikes at Laguna Seca...

gallery_3131_5511_85261.jpg

Confirmed the V4s of Ducati and Suzuki are running longer swingarms

than the Yamaha I4s... proof Ducati GP10 sports a 26 inch swingarm...

gallery_3131_5511_54881.jpg

Suzuki GSV4 swingarm 26 inches...

gallery_3131_5511_137747.jpg

Confirmed Yamaha M1 swingarm 24 inches...

gallery_3131_5511_5529.jpg

• 3 months later...

Just about any of the kits that have the mushroom shaped plugs with the CO2 cartridge are excellent choices. I would stay away from putting the SLIME sealant inside the your wheels though unless you are sure your going to change the tire shortly after. I've changed a lot of tires, close to 200 now. Every wheel that I've seen that had SLIME or Fix A Flat left in it for any extended period of time had corrosion damage to the inside of the wheel (see attached photo. The outside of the wheel was in great shape, no corrosion. One of the wheels, it was a aluminum wheel from a H/D was so bad I had to tell the owner to scrap the wheel, and he totally agreed. The SLIME stuff works, and if I was on the side of the road with a flat I'd use if I had to, just don't leave it in.

post-21944-0-35439200-1313716149_thumb.j

I recently got a nail in my tire and I was torn between getting a new tire. I decided to plug it...no problems. I carry Slime pump. I comes with all the connections I'll ever need and the worms. Tire's holding air just fine.

Everything fits in my tank bag and Plus I can have it in the hard bags if I don't want the tank bag.1. Slime Pump

2. Sticky worms, tools & Glue

• Member Contributer

I have a sturdy T-handle plug kit and a small compressor similar to the Slime product. I used to carry the C02 cartridges and decided the compressor made more sence.

Archived