PR3 Review

Dutchy

• Member Contributer

Thanks for posting this Dutchy.

I'll prolly give'em a try as a next set.

Given the right price of course.

• Member Contributer

Can't wait til next Spring's Tire package sale... :wheel:

I'm all rubbered up for the year.

Well. OK. :musik20:

• Member Contributer

Their estimate of 5,000-6,000 miles is meaningless without knowing their mileage estimate of PR2's.

Their estimate of 5,000-6,000 miles is meaningless without knowing their mileage estimate of PR2's.

Got 7k miles out of Pilot Road tires on my 1250 Bandit, Hard riding while bagged up 590lb wet weight

My friend got simular milage from his bandit with PR2 tires.

• 1 month later...

I was on the fence about changing tires. I had a few millimeters of tread before the rear was at the wear bars and the front had just bit of cupping. But a dealer had a special on tires so I pulled the trigger a bit prematurely. Or so I thought!

What a difference! I now have about 400 miles on a set of PR3's. I love them! I had Bridgestone B023's prior and never developed a "feel" for them. Now I know its not fair to compare old tires to new, but the Michelins inspire much more confidence. Already my chicken strips are narrower over the B023's. The bike just feels lighter and the turn in is so much crisper (the rear was getting squared off). The Michelins are also quieter than the Bridestones as well. Even my passenger says the ride is more fluid.

So if I can contribute to the topic at all, it would be don't necessarily wait until your tires are worn completely out to enjoy fresh rubber.

• Forum CEO

I just bought a set of PR2s at JakeWilson.com and looked very hard at the 3's but the $40 dollar difference was just too much. I dont really ride that much in the rain and well PR2s do very well in the rain too.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I came across a detailed description of these in a bike mag (forget which) at my Honda store and decided to buy a pair after my Dunlop RoadSmarts wear out. (second pair; first pair went 13,000 miles). Probably in the spring. Hope the reviews keep coming in. I am interested in good mileage. I can't afford to pay for mounting twice a year!

• Member Contributer

I just mounted (ok, Perham mounted them while I drank his beer) a PR3 rear and PP front. Not had a chance to ride yet but will be putting on a new chain and sprocket this weekend and prolly head up to Highlands/Franklin next Tuesday for a little ride before the Doc tries again to fix my broken collar bone next Thursday.

I will definately post up my impressions afterwards.

• Member Contributer

Seen a post on another site about PR3, the heat had these tires literally falling apart, it was a couple of months ago, will see if it can be found. Don't know if it was a bad batch of tires or anything else for that matter. Did a search and it's out there, will let you look yourself. Am also interested in them but need to look more on how they perform and how reliable they are. Right now don't ride enough to push it, unfortunately, maybe they have some driving miss daisy tires for me. Need to ride more!!!

I was on the fence about changing tires. I had a few millimeters of tread before the rear was at the wear bars and the front had just bit of cupping. But a dealer had a special on tires so I pulled the trigger a bit prematurely. Or so I thought!

What a difference! I now have about 400 miles on a set of PR3's. I love them! I had Bridgestone B023's prior and never developed a "feel" for them. Now I know its not fair to compare old tires to new, but the Michelins inspire much more confidence. Already my chicken strips are narrower over the B023's. The bike just feels lighter and the turn in is so much crisper (the rear was getting squared off). The Michelins are also quieter than the Bridestones as well. Even my passenger says the ride is more fluid.

So if I can contribute to the topic at all, it would be don't necessarily wait until your tires are worn completely out to enjoy fresh rubber.

i am hundred percent with you on this one. after much thought i put my pr3 on the rear with a good 1000 miles left on the old 5 year old tire. i feel bad about wasting it but holy crap is there a difference. after scrubbing it in on the ride up to to school *300 something miles* i bob and weaved back in forth in my lane just enjoying the god damn ease of it. thanks for all previous advice on doing so from other memebers well worth not waiting =]

I can get a pair up here in Canada for $360.00 shipped right to my door. I am sure as spring gets closer they come down in price more to. I just want to get as much info from guys running them before I buy a pair.

• Member Contributer

Seen a post on another site about PR3, the heat had these tires literally falling apart, it was a couple of months ago, will see if it can be found. Don't know if it was a bad batch of tires or anything else for that matter. Did a search and it's out there, will let you look yourself. Am also interested in them but need to look more on how they perform and how reliable they are. Right now don't ride enough to push it, unfortunately, maybe they have some driving miss daisy tires for me. Need to ride more!!!

I saw that. That guy must have been running on flat tires to do that.

• Member Contributer

In my opinion, there were MAJOR problems with that posting. One example: he claimed to have something like 10,000 miles on the tires before his problems, but the photos were of much, much newer tires.

• Member Contributer

In my opinion, there were MAJOR problems with that posting. One example: he claimed to have something like 10,000 miles on the tires before his problems, but the photos were of much, much newer tires.

I agree. There was no way there was 10,000 miles on that guy's PR3's. Plus my close examination of the pictures of the rear tire lead me to believe it had just under gone a very extensive burnout. When he posted pictures of his "failed" rear tire he also said chunks came off from riding. I saw no jagged torn away sections. I saw places where he forced his fingers down inside the over heated sipes.

His story about crashing through the rear window of his girlfriend's suv when the front tire "came apart" under normal braking was highly suspect. He posted no pictures of the "destroyed" front tire. I think he was showing off, pulled a stipple, target fixated, and went through the window. When front tires fail or slide out in braking the bike usually slides out and doesn't flip the rider high over the handle bars. Other things he said and how he talked made him look like a squid/risky street stunter to me.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just fitted a pair of Pilot Road 3's to replace the original Dunlop D204's. The stock tires seemed reluctant to turn, and needed effort to maintain any lean. By contrast the PR3's seem downright eager on turn in, and very stable mid corner - I have not had them "step out" on me like the stockers seemed to do even on tiny bumps in the road. Note my riding skills are above average, but I am too old to really push the bike - I like having some margin to get me out of trouble. In short, I am delighted with the handling of these tires, only time will tell how long they hold up. :tour: Based on the compounds in the tires I have hopes that front and rear will wear out together. My stock front tire had many miles left on it when the wear marks came up on the rear. I will gift the old front tire to a "friend in need", I could not bear to ever put it back on my bike!

-VFRGeek

I'm using the PR3 on my Rc36. Nothing to complain about. Good enough grip, very easy to turn with and a reasonably good lifespan. I've clocked about 5000 miles including a trackday and my there isn't much wear. Compared my old rear tire to a new one (ran over a nail and got a flat tire) And all i could see was that not even 2mm worn.

Archived