The post no one wants to make...

V-FORE

• Member Contributer

Fist off this pains me to write/admit that I did a Moronic thing Inattention, while riding. But here goes ( I am a #'s guy not a writer, so please excuse my poor writing).

After my last Milestone 515 miles ago, I had an accident Friday morning on the way to work. I was coming off the freeway and the offramp is a cloverleaf so as I was going over the overpass, which has the right lane opened up now( it has been closed off due to construction, they were widening/creating a right turn only?) So as I was paying attention to the new lane stripping( it now does an slight “S” ) for reasons unknown to myself. As I looked up to the traffic light on the end of the bridge with the morning sun in my eyes I could not make it out ( I think I spent too much time trying to focus on it) needless to say it was red, I was as doing about 35 entering the intersection, I looked ahead there is a 2006 Toyota Sequoia OH S***, I had time to grab a handful of front brake, rear brake, locked wheel, OH S***, S***, BANG the front wheel hit between the front tire/door. I have bruise on my left pinky knuckle, a little soreness in my right inner thigh muscle ( I don’t know if some of that is from my Thursday Gym workout)

So at least no one was hurt! The Toyota will need Front fender/door. The woman driving the Sequoia was more worried about me.

The police on the scene first was a motorcycle cop, very knowledgable helpful understanding. Even though he had to write me the ticket, he did notate on the accident report that the sun was directly inline with the signal. He showed me how I used more rear brake than front due to the tire markings? & explained that I should have used more front, the funny thing about it is that the previous day I had been practicing emergency stops! I guess in my inattentive state, I was paying more attention on the road below me instead of my normal looking/scanning ahead.

This marks the first time that I have had an accident, I had a lowside in 10/2008, & someone backed into me 06/2009, but I really don’t count them as accidents, more so as incidents. This is the first time that I have had a problem due to my inattention. I hope that anyone reading this can learn from my mistake.

As for the bike, it was towed to my work 1 mile down the road, I loaded it up in our box truck at the end of the day, she fired up & was walked up the ramp slowly & she is sitting in my driveway now. After I unload her I will have more detail on her damage, I know that the front plastics are trash, both pegs are broken, forks are bent, wheel is fine, radiator is crunched/leaking, oil cooler is smooshed but not leaking moved …. I will take a picture when I unload her. Other than that she is good! I am wanting to bring her back to life, I will have a better idea after my insurance company tries to lowball me.

Most important

ATGATT!

I was unhurt, I could have been hurt badly, I have a scrape across my visor nothing else(that I have seen yet)

Rede safe everyone.

I am planning to be back on two wheels ASAP :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Well that was a bit of a shock to read that topic. Glad you are OK and the bike is just an object and can be replaced or repaired as required. Well done on the ATGATT.

Wow, glad to hear you're okay and thanks for sharing and reinforcing the need to be attentive.

It seems easier to be distracted these days, (gadgets, construction (in season in Michigan and other places I'm sure), more distracted other drivers). The challenges are there for us which means we have to stay ever vigilant.

Best of luck on your rebuild :fing02:

Stay Safe!

Sorry to hear about that, Gary.

I'm glad to hear that you were not hurt in the incident.

I've had similar things happen looking into the morning sun and trying to make out traffic lights.

Sounds like with some repairs your bike will be fine, too.

Take care and make sure to have yourself looked at again by a doctor to determine if there were any injuries you missed (soft tissues, etc.)

Fist off this pains me to write/admit that I did a Moronic thing Inattention, while riding. But here goes ( I am a #'s guy not a writer, so please excuse my poor writing).

After my last Milestone 515 miles ago, I had an accident Friday morning on the way to work. I was coming off the freeway and the offramp is a cloverleaf so as I was going over the overpass, which has the right lane opened up now( it has been closed off due to construction, they were widening/creating a right turn only?) So as I was paying attention to the new lane stripping( it now does an slight “S” ) for reasons unknown to myself. As I looked up to the traffic light on the end of the bridge with the morning sun in my eyes I could not make it out ( I think I spent too much time trying to focus on it) needless to say it was red, I was as doing about 35 entering the intersection, I looked ahead there is a 2006 Toyota Sequoia OH S***, I had time to grab a handful of front brake, rear brake, locked wheel, OH S***, S***, BANG the front wheel hit between the front tire/door. I have bruise on my left pinky knuckle, a little soreness in my right inner thigh muscle ( I don’t know if some of that is from my Thursday Gym workout)

So at least no one was hurt! The Toyota will need Front fender/door. The woman driving the Sequoia was more worried about me.

The police on the scene first was a motorcycle cop, very knowledgable helpful understanding. Even though he had to write me the ticket, he did notate on the accident report that the sun was directly inline with the signal. He showed me how I used more rear brake than front due to the tire markings? & explained that I should have used more front, the funny thing about it is that the previous day I had been practicing emergency stops! I guess in my inattentive state, I was paying more attention on the road below me instead of my normal looking/scanning ahead.

This marks the first time that I have had an accident, I had a lowside in 10/2008, & someone backed into me 06/2009, but I really don’t count them as accidents, more so as incidents. This is the first time that I have had a problem due to my inattention. I hope that anyone reading this can learn from my mistake.

As for the bike, it was towed to my work 1 mile down the road, I loaded it up in our box truck at the end of the day, she fired up & was walked up the ramp slowly & she is sitting in my driveway now. After I unload her I will have more detail on her damage, I know that the front plastics are trash, both pegs are broken, forks are bent, wheel is fine, radiator is crunched/leaking, oil cooler is smooshed but not leaking moved …. I will take a picture when I unload her. Other than that she is good! I am wanting to bring her back to life, I will have a better idea after my insurance company tries to lowball me.

Most important

ATGATT!

I was unhurt, I could have been hurt badly, I have a scrape across my visor nothing else(that I have seen yet)

Rede safe everyone.

I am planning to be back on two wheels ASAP :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Wow, glad to hear you are OK Gary. It only takes a second and everything can change forever. Well done on the ATGGATT.

The bike going to up and running in time for Troutdale?

• Member Contributer

Thanks all for the well wishes, yeah it sucks, but no one to blame but myself :fing02: I am ok that is all that matters, I will post a link to a short walk around video I took as soon as it up loads....

My dads a tv repairman, he's got a awesome set of tools.....

She will live again, My goal is to be back on the road for the July Kootenay ride :fing02:

Gary

• Member Contributer

ATGATT :fing02:

Good to read you are ok, rest is insurance/your money... :fing02:

Glad to hear you are well and everything should be able to be fixed.

I know exactly what area you talked about. I have been on the overpass and when it's winter - spring the failing light is misserable.

Look forward to seeing you again on the road soon!

Dude, after looking at those videos you're really lucky to not be injured.

There are salvageable pieces there but I'd guess that would be a write-off. You may be sporting an entirely new bike soon. smile.gif

My dads a tv repairman, he's got a awesome set of tools.....

Glad you are ok - and you still have a sense of humour. Order yourself a pizza to Mr. hands class, and enjoy..... wink.gif

• Member Contributer

Glad to hear you are OK!

As I've learned, most serious injuries are permanent. You've been fortunate to avoid them and that's all that matters.

The bike is... Well, who cares about the bike. You can always get a new one for cheap.

Hey bud, glad you're OK. Don't beat yourself up over it. We all make mistakes while riding, especially in traffic when there is so much going on. What's more, is that you learned something from this too. You'll be up and running in no time!

• Member Contributer

So sorry about your bike Gary, but as others have said, so much better the bike than your body or both. If you are ever over in Spokane give me a shout and I'll treat you to a dinner...

Steve

• Member Contributer

Well after reading the responses, it makes me realize how lucky I am to be involved here :rolleyes: I appreciate all the comments, you guys Rock! Now anyone have any 4th Gen parts laying around??gallery_8073_5169_671913.jpg

Slap a set of F4i forks in there, I'll bet they cost you the same if not less than VFR parts. :rolleyes:

I have a headlight, and a couple pieces of the upper. Probably a side fairing that would need fixing. Honda uses the same oil cooler connectors across the board, so any Honda cooler should work on there, just a matter of making a bracket.

If you're going through ins though, wait to talk to them... they're probably going to total it... sad.gif

Damn, another 4th gen bites the dust. Glad to hear that you're OK, buddy. I have a front headlamp panel which I bought thinking that I'd need it for my repair but I won't. It's the fibreglass bit that surrounds the headlights. Looks like you will need it. It's not that big and it's pretty light. Let me know if you want it. Oh, and it's already red. :rolleyes:

Archived