MX boots on the road

timmythecop

Back in the day, when leathers had no armor and roadrace boots had a zipper on the back, I went racing. Until I finally got my frank thomas roacing boots, I used MX boots. I remember that they worked ok, but were a bit stiff.

I tried revisiting that with the purchase of some alpinestars tech4 boots. I figured the beloved aerostich combat touring were damn close to MX boots, so why not. See photos:

DSCN0013.jpg

DSCN0014.jpg

I have gone on a small ride and I think I have found a viable alternative to roadrace boots. Todays MX boots are so more flexible than the 80s stuff, and they make you feel armor plated. I have no restriction of movement, super duper support and protection and none of the lift your whole leg to shift syndrome. They even work over top my leathers due to the adjustable straps. So far I dig them and they are even comfy to walk in. The biggest bonus is the lack of squeaking on a rest stop.

Any drawbacks you all can think of? The only thing I could come up with eas the possibility of the buckles touching down befor the kneepuck, but that is just a guess. Let the mocking begin.

They look a little "Mad Max" and such, and I could probably get up the nerve to laugh at you (behind your back and quietly) when I saw you wearing them....but hey, to each his own...I say do it.

I am a 21 year MX vet. No fraking way I would wear them on the street unless dual sporting.

Pro's. Protection is top notch

CONS, WEIGHT 2 TONS, WAY TOO STIFF, MEATAL AT END OF TOES AND ON BOOT CAN SCRATCH BIKE BAD. WAY TOO HEAVY FOR THE STREET TO WEAR ALL DAY. yOU WILL LOOK STUPID. WHEN THEY DRAG THEY TEAR UP QUICK.

I own many pair but never wear them on the street.

• Member Contributer

My question would be about the feel of them. If there's too much material on the heel or toe or sole, then it might affect how you feel the gear shift. Yeah, you can always adjust the shifter and that to help. Who knows. Good topic.

I am a 21 year MX vet. No fraking way I would wear them on the street unless dual sporting.

Unless your a cheap azz punk like me, then it's moto-X Viffer. :fing02: My pic is from 1999 when I re-entered street riding and bought my "wish I still had" 93. :fing02:

I eventually replaced everything with the proper quality gear.

I see some of the points being made. These are really not THAT much different than full on roadrace boots, just a tad taller. The feel is at least 80-90 percent of anything else I have tried. One of the reasons I tried these boots is that I have been using these for the last 2 years and I love them, but hey are difficult to use with leathers on:

thor-motocross-boots-5050-boots_2.jpg

Unless your a cheap azz punk like me, then it's moto-X Viffer. :fing02: My pic is from 1999 when I re-entered street riding and bought my "wish I still had" 93. :fing02:

I eventually replaced everything with the proper quality gear.

Top level MX boots are awesome. They do offer the best protection, period.

I did shatter my heel in a good set of mx boots though.

Road race boots feel like bedroom slippers to me after flogging around the track all day in mx boots.

I see some of the points being made. These are really not THAT much different than full on roadrace boots, just a tad taller. The feel is at least 80-90 percent of anything else I have tried. One of the reasons I tried these boots is that I have been using these for the last 2 years and I love them, but hey are difficult to use with leathers on:

thor-motocross-boots-5050-boots_2.jpg

The mx boots must be broken, worn out, something. I always wear fox MX boots and A-stars road race boots. Their is a HUGE diffirence. I bet the MX boot is well over twice as heavy.

They work for motards and dual sports, but not on sportbikes, IMO.

They can and will scratch, gouge plastic.

He don't care

41%2BM6NJY7BL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

LOL! my last pair of MX boots were Tech IV's , they do have gell inserts in the ankle. Later they came out with the Tech 8's and they were like wearing an ankle brace. I didnt bite on those horrible I thought.

But Tech 7's seemed similar to tech IV's, course I havent bought any since mid 90's. But I agree, Id rather have something lighter weight on the VFR and more comfortable.

these are older tch 4's and thet are almost all leather. The area around the ankle is leather. They are heavy, but they feel great. I guess I just wish someone would make a quasi-mx, mixed with a roadrace, with touring built in boot.

Let the mocking continue...............

• Member Contributer

CONS, WEIGHT 2 TONS, WAY TOO STIFF, MEATAL AT END OF TOES AND ON BOOT CAN SCRATCH BIKE BAD. WAY TOO HEAVY FOR THE STREET TO WEAR ALL DAY. yOU WILL LOOK STUPID. WHEN THEY DRAG THEY TEAR UP QUICK.

What type of boot do you prefer instead? I ask because I find most racing boots so uncomfortable that I wouldn't actually wear them (and protection you aren't wearing does no good). And most slightly-more-comfortable motorcycle boots offer little more protection than a pair of work boots. I don't think I'll go out and buy a pair of Motocross boots, but it's an interesting topic.

these are older tch 4's and thet are almost all leather. The area around the ankle is leather. They are heavy, but they feel great. I guess I just wish someone would make a quasi-mx, mixed with a roadrace, with touring built in boot.

Let the mocking continue...............

Hmmm, MX boots, flat black Interceptor, I'm beginning to see a connection.. :fing02:

post-13109-126697399361_thumb.jpg

What type of boot do you prefer instead? I ask because I find most racing boots so uncomfortable that I wouldn't actually wear them (and protection you aren't wearing does no good). And most slightly-more-comfortable motorcycle boots offer little more protection than a pair of work boots. I don't think I'll go out and buy a pair of Motocross boots, but it's an interesting topic.

I wear mx boots in the dirt. I wear road race boots on the street.

• Forum CEO

I had to toss out my mx boots, $200 pair that for some reason I think got infected with anthrax or somthing cause every time I put them on the next day I had the worst rash - itching and stratching for a week. I tried everything to clean and disinfect but the rash would always come back after an hour or so of riding in them. I even filled up a trash can with bleach water and let them soak, scrubbed them out with a nylon brush too. The basic problem was they did not breath at all and my shins would get all rashed up. I got to have boots that breath and are somewhat ventalated or I get that rash. These plastic race boots would just kill me, no way, I would be in itch land in less than a day. I use alpine stars waterproof goretex lined boots for my long trips, the keep my legs dry and I dont get that rash. I tried changing socks, using natural wool, cotton, nylon, cotton blends, all kinds of socks, I comes down to how well the boots breath.

I had to toss out my mx boots, $200 pair that for some reason I think got infected with anthrax or somthing cause every time I put them on the next day I had the worst rash - itching and stratching for a week. I tried everything to clean and disinfect but the rash would always come back after an hour or so of riding in them. I even filled up a trash can with bleach water and let them soak, scrubbed them out with a nylon brush too. The basic problem was they did not breath at all and my shins would get all rashed up. I got to have boots that breath and are somewhat ventalated or I get that rash. These plastic race boots would just kill me, no way, I would be in itch land in less than a day. I use alpine stars waterproof goretex lined boots for my long trips, the keep my legs dry and I dont get that rash.

Didja try a little Gold Bond? :warranty:

now mebbie these are woth a look,

sidi_canyon_gore.jpg

but, still, the protection looks weak. I dont love to wear mx boots, but modern roadrace boots are mostly plastic, uncomfy and will wear the soles out quickly in the real world.

For a track day or racing I would wear proper roadrace boots, but I'm talking about riding distances in twisties, long distance, foul weather etc...

• Forum CEO

Didja try a little Gold Bond? :warranty:

useless - I just have sweaty feet I guess, that stuff helps me absulutly zero! Oh and I hate the muck it creates when I take off my socks. I tried it at work a few times too, in my bunny suit at the plant in the clean room it gets a bit itchy there too. I just wear mesh top running shoes, I know I am not supposed too with all the chemicals we use but man I cant stand the itching. I dont snap the boots up tight at the top like I am supposed too, and often get nasty looks from supervisors, but its alot better than the scratching and itching. I always wondered if they took a lot over to defect and did a scanning electron microscope scan on one and found gold bond particles all over it? I try to follow protocal as best I can but jeeze the itch is insane!

As far as riding boots I looked at the combat boots from aerostich but go with what I know works for me.

• Member Contributer

Now if you could add some of the protection of MX boots to that and make the buckles not velcro, I would have a winner.

I've been seriously considering these. Got a good review, and are truly waterproof. And I hate zippers. Anyone have a pair of these (Sidi On Road Gore-Tex Boots)?

sidi-on-road-gore-tex-boots-up.jpg

Archived