MX boots on the road

timmythecop

Now if you could add some of the protection of MX boots to that and make the buckles not velcro, I would have a winner.

I'm with you there. As regular readers would know, I'm a big fan of my Aerostitch CTBs (made by Sidi). But I am not a big fan of the velcro. Eventually the stuff will wear out and be completely useless. I have just resigned myself to the fact that someday I will have to pay to have new velcro patches sewn on. Hopefully many, many, many years down the road when I have to have them re-soled. Shouldn't cost more than a couple of dollars when the time comes.

• Member Contributer

I had a pair of the combat tourers. They were terrible. I got the itchy rash on my legs like HS describes, whenever I rode long days in the heat. And they were only waterproof until the first two-day continuous heavy rain ride, and after that they soaked through more quickly every time, no matter what I treated them with. And they never got that comfortable, they were always just borderline tolerable. People kept saying "Oh, give them time, they will break in and then they'll be great" but this was absolutely 100% false. I wore them for two years and they never got any better, and meanwhile they got less and less waterproof, to the point where my feet would get wet instantly, even in the slightest rain. Finally I had a two week trip where it rained every day except the day it snowed, and I had to buy boots while traveling because the continuous wet made the CTs split and crack inside, and they started cutting into my feet.

Right now I'm wearing a pair of Teknic boots I got from a closeout at newenough. They're waterproof and they've kept the wet out just fine so far. They're festooned with black plastic armor, sorta road racey, and they definitely do squeak. But I have a fix for that. I spray down in between all the layers of plastic with some silicone spray, and it stops the squeak until the next really heavy rain. They're more comfortable than the CTs and I think they are far more protective. They cost a lot less so I feel like they've already lasted long enough to justify their price, and they're still going strong.

I always thought it would be fun to have boots with the metal on the toes - you can drag it on the pavement in tunnels and make sparks. I never thought about damaging the bodywork with it. :warranty:

I see some of the points being made. These are really not THAT much different than full on roadrace boots, just a tad taller. The feel is at least 80-90 percent of anything else I have tried. One of the reasons I tried these boots is that I have been using these for the last 2 years and I love them, but hey are difficult to use with leathers on:

thor-motocross-boots-5050-boots_2.jpg

I've worn those exact boots for two seasons now and love them. They provide good protection - not as good as race boots, but better than hiking or work boots, and they're comfortable enough to ride and walk around in all day. They're not waterproof either, but do repel most water well enough.

I'm planning to buy a decent pair of race-type boots this year, but for now the Thors still make the grade.

I'm a mxer and love the protection of mx boot vs a road boot.

If I were going to use an mx boot on the road I'd choose a AStar Tech 10 or 7. They have rubber / sneaker type soles. The Tech 10 does have a booty (ha ha) though.

alpinestars%20tech%2010%20black_310x310.jpg

Alpinestars_Tech_7_Supermoto_Boots_White.jpg

• Member Contributer

I own three pair of not very expensive boots and two of them suck. Cheap and inexpensive evidently do not mean the same thing. You'd think I would remember that by now.

I'm considering these 2010 Sidi Adventure Rain Boots for touring and everyday riding. $375.00. LINK Any comments?

sidi_adventure_rain_boots_detail.jpg?1258253613

New for 2010, the ultimate Adventure boot combines Sidi's best touring and off road features into an effective adventure boot design

• Soft rubber sole for maximum grip.
  • Replaceable strap system.
  • Lorica construction.
  • Composite inner sole.
  • Removable arch support.
  • Exclusive cam-lock buckle system.
  • Cambrelle lining
  • Slim, cool non-bootie design.
  • Rigid, shock resistant, anatomically shaped heel for maximum protection.
  • Split grain leather inner anti-wear/heat panel.
  • Single Flex System upper.

• Member Contributer

What type of boot do you prefer instead? I ask because I find most racing boots so uncomfortable that I wouldn't actually wear them (and protection you aren't wearing does no good). And most slightly-more-comfortable motorcycle boots offer little more protection than a pair of work boots. I don't think I'll go out and buy a pair of Motocross boots, but it's an interesting topic.

I think this is my solution.

The EVO Sports on this page.

My link

Should show up next week. Took a little of my tax return and bought something nice for myself. I have a pair of the Daytona Roadstar GTX boots and they are super comfortable and extremely well made and I've been told the EVO Sports are very comfortable but offer much more protection.

Archived