BR's crashed Boots

Baileyrock

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those alpine star MX5 plus race boots, if they fit are best on the market IMO

I'm really big into buckling versus velcro for longevity, and those boots really lock up in well, yet are comfortable , atleast to me.

I tried on the high end Boots of the crashed brand(I forget the name at the moment and they are a loser less buckled feel in comparison, atleast to me.

Course if your feet dont fit , like helmets doesnt matter much

• Member Contributer

BR,

I was wondering what boots you were wearing, as well.

Many thanks for posting this up and sharing your thoughts and experiece w/ us.

I really appreciate it.

Good luck and best wishes in your recovery.

You are in my and many other people's thoughts and prayers.

BR,

Scroll up to the very first sentence of the thread. It was Red Ball Jets. Man, those were the shoes. :wheel:

BR,

Many thanks for posting this up and sharing your thoughts and experiece w/ us.

I really appreciate it.

Good luck and best wishes in your recovery.

You are in my and many other people's thoughts and prayers.

Thank you sir! smile.gif

Someone else can do the math. I'm guessing you could compare it to falling from 2-3 stories up.

Ouch. :ohmy:

My surgeon told me that my (And Kevin's) injury has the dubious honour of being shared with people who jump out of burning buildings! :angry:

• Member Contributer

Someone asked me what boots I was wearing during my crash and I just found my right boot that I was wearing during the crash. I think these are SIDI Vertigo Race boots

One tiny correction, they are Sidi Vertebra Race boots:

http://www.pbase.com/y2kr6pilot/motorcycles_sidi_vertebra_race_boots

http://www.angelfire.com/ca7/discountcycle/

I know because I own a pair. I got them from New Enough on closeout in 2006.

If you watch the movie "Faster", you can see a very young John Hopkins wearing a pair on the track.

• Member Contributer

Too bad you weren't gellin'. :angry:

I would send those back to Sidi. Maybe they'll use something other than plastic for reinforcement in the future...

One tiny correction, they are Sidi Vertebra Race boots:

http://www.pbase.com/y2kr6pilot/motorcycles_sidi_vertebra_race_boots

http://www.angelfire.com/ca7/discountcycle/

I know because I own a pair. I got them from New Enough on closeout in 2006.

If you watch the movie "Faster", you can see a very young John Hopkins wearing a pair on the track.

Thanks!

Yeah, I have vertigo, but are boots are SIDI vertebra race boots - 2nd edition. :angry:

My surgeon told me that my (And Kevin's) injury has the dubious honour of being shared with people who jump out of burning buildings!

I wouldn't expect that to be very common, but what do I know? :angry:

You guys stay away from fire hazards for a while, OK? :ohmy:

My surgeon told me that my (And Kevin's) injury has the dubious honour of being shared with people who jump out of burning buildings!

I wouldn't expect that to be very common, but what do I know? :unsure:

You guys stay away from fire hazards for a while, OK? :beer:

Glad I live on the ground floor! :goofy:

• 2 weeks later...

11-25-09

Found my left boot today and man, it's worse than the other! +1.gif

There's even more damage to this boot like there was to my left ankle.

post-301-125918142424_thumb.jpg

post-301-125918145118_thumb.jpg

The broken support shows the lower portion on top of the upper bracket when it's suppose to be under it! I bent the boot almost enough to allow that bracket to pop back under or show how much movement was needed to have it pop out! :wheel:

Scary.

post-301-125918146397_thumb.jpg

OUCH.. I would say these boots did there designed job you just took them a step further ?

There are members here that say these types of boots are worse in a accident than say the Icon tennis shoe type but i would have to disagree.. Even If Im running into town wearing jeans I wear my Race style boots..

OUCH.. I would say these boots did there designed job you just took them a step further ?

There are members here that say these types of boots are worse in a accident than say the Icon tennis shoe type but i would have to disagree.. Even If Im running into town wearing jeans I wear my Race style boots..

Yeah, I couldn't imagine what would be left of my feet/ankles/legs if I was wearing those tennis shoe type of boots! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Yeah, I couldn't imagine what would be left of my feet/ankles/legs if I was wearing those tennis shoe type of boots! :fing02:

Can't imagine Tennis Shoe Type Boots bein' worn much of anytime, even on the street....... :laugh: .....this woulda' really been a "BAD" Thread had You been wearin' somethin' like that...... sad.gif

• Member Contributer

Man, that is gnarley!

Glad you still have feet!

I read the original crash post and this one, but I guess I missed exactly how it happened. I thought it was something where you didn't remember exactly what took place??

My point in asking, is that I am curious as to wether these injuries and boot damage occurred from a twisting force or a compression force? Do you happen to know or remember? Not trying to pry, just curious as that is some crazy damage!

Yeah, I couldn't imagine what would be left of my feet/ankles/legs if I was wearing those tennis shoe type of boots! blink.gif

My race boots really saved my ankle from damage back in Jan 09, (Brand OXTAR) The tennis shoe type I refer too are the ICON BOOTS which are pretty much useless.. These arent allowed on most tracks either but I cringe when I see them worn on the street and due to there price seem to be pretty popular.

Cant remember if it was NewEnough.com or motorcycle superstore but someone sent me a Email with similar boots to yours on closeout for 219.00 a pair, Regularly 3++.00 $.. After my visit to the ER last year for what I thought was just a badly twisted knee and 3 violent tankslappers over the summer I wont wear anything else but RACE BooTS even if it is with Jeans to get Ciggeretts..

Point is you can still get around pretty good with a messed up knee or hip but busted Ankles put you down for the count, I doubt with as violent as your injury looks Race Boots would have done much good but would have been ALOT worse with a LESSER DESIGN..

Good Gear is worth the extra $

Yeah, I couldn't imagine what would be left of my feet/ankles/legs if I was wearing those tennis shoe type of boots! :blink:

You might be getting some new feet.

Prosthetic feet. :blink:

Sidi would also appreciate the boots and x-rays so they can improve their product and maybe prevent someone else from incurring this kind of injury. Who knows, you might save a bro's bones.

Definitely contact Sidi.

+1.gif

Can't echo enough what Re-Agent says. Send them the boots, copies of your x-rays, and a detailed letter describing exactly what happened, your level of experience, how fast you were going, etc. Just make sure you're not criticizing them - praise them actually.

You might not get a new pair of boots (although I'm guessing you will) but you will be furnishing great data for Sidi to use in future boot designs. Kind of a pay it forward type thing.

And calling a spade a spade, if you and Veefer were wearing the kind of "boots" we all use to wear 25 years ago, there's a good chance you would never walk again. I know it's hard to look on the bright side of things knowing what you've been through and the road you still have to travel, but regardless of all the screws and hardware, those boots did their job (as did the rest of your gear).

I know after seeing what you've been through, I will be upgrading my Sidi's to a higher end model. I'm wearing Sidi Tepor Evo's right now. Will definitely move up this off season.

Just my 2¢.

Pete

• Member Contributer

Yeah, I couldn't imagine what would be left of my feet/ankles/legs if I was wearing those tennis shoe type of boots! blink.gif

My race boots really saved my ankle from damage back in Jan 09, (Brand OXTAR) The tennis shoe type I refer too are the ICON BOOTS which are pretty much useless.. These arent allowed on most tracks either but I cringe when I see them worn on the street and due to there price seem to be pretty popular.

Cant remember if it was NewEnough.com or motorcycle superstore but someone sent me a Email with similar boots to yours on closeout for 219.00 a pair, Regularly 3++.00 $.. After my visit to the ER last year for what I thought was just a badly twisted knee and 3 violent tankslappers over the summer I wont wear anything else but RACE BooTS even if it is with Jeans to get Ciggeretts..

Point is you can still get around pretty good with a messed up knee or hip but busted Ankles put you down for the count, I doubt with as violent as your injury looks Race Boots would have done much good but would have been ALOT worse with a LESSER DESIGN..

Good Gear is worth the extra $

Most of ICON's Boot Line-up is for off-bike comfort also, but They have one real good Road Boot in Their Line-up....the FIELD ARMOR. I still have one pair of these. Fully plastic armored, calf-length, very protective. They take a while to break-in because of the very thick leather and protection, but comfy walkers after They do. My favorite Race Boots have been Alpinestars. I've owned SIDIs and Stars, and the Stars seemed to break in faster...... :blink:

Man, that is gnarley!

Glad you still have feet!

I read the original crash post and this one, but I guess I missed exactly how it happened. I thought it was something where you didn't remember exactly what took place??

My point in asking, is that I am curious as to wether these injuries and boot damage occurred from a twisting force or a compression force? Do you happen to know or remember? Not trying to pry, just curious as that is some crazy damage!

No worries whatsoever!

My goal here on VFRD and most anywhere is to share Good or Bad for the benefit of the masses, doesn't matter if it was a bone head move on my part or no fault of my own. Holding info back does Not help anyone! :blink:

My crash covered both compression & twisting.

What happened, I was coming off NSS back straight and it's banking. I hit maybe 110 mph on the short straight, then drop a gear and brake short and hard to throw it into the left off the banking. This left drops you into a off camber right, short shoot straight, then another right then quick hard left into the long sweeping run onto the front banking.

I caught a rider braking into the first left and decided to make a pass in that short shoot between turns, this requires you to square off early and hammer the gas to beat the rider into the next right where it's basically a slid block pass as you slip into the other guys line. So decision made(bad one)I square off and crank hard on the throttle into the off camber right hand turn. This was really the first time I hammered the throttle in a turn for the purpose of making a pass as all other passes were mostly done under braking. Well when I hammered the throttle the rear instantly spun up(done this pass on the F4i many times and it never let go like this!) sending me drastically sideways. Don't think I chopped the throttle, but could have, but for whatever reason the rear re-hooked and I instantly HIGH SIDED!

I was thrown almost straight up in the air and I would guess I was 12-15ft above the ground looking down on both my bike and the track. I don't think I did a flip, just straight up and straight back down. I landed on my feet probably at about a 45 deg angle to my travel and I'm guessing I'm doing 50-60 mph. My surgeon said most of the severe damage especially to my left ankle was done the instant my feet/foot hit the ground. I instantly started spinning like a top down the track and was very surprised at how much centrifugal force was being applied to my body and how long and violent this went on. :blink:

When I finally came to rest on the track(never left the pavement)I knew that both my legs were broken as I could feel them(bones) moving around in my boots, especially the right broken Tibia. :ohmy: I was pretty beat up and already in major pain, but managed to at least lift my arm to indicate I was at least alive. I was not happy, but happy to be alive. +1.gif

BR

• Member Contributer

I was not happy, but happy to be alive. :ohmy: [/size]

BR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H12wNmn87KM

:fing02:

Um, I dont think I'll go the the Kingdom of the Netherlands after all......................

ok Timmy, I will tell her not to wait for you

frauantje.jpg

:happy:

Archived