BR's crashed Boots

Baileyrock

• Member Contributer

What happened, I was coming off NSS back straight and it's banking. I hit maybe 110 mph on the short straight, then drop a gear and brake short and hard to throw it into the left off the banking. This left drops you into a off camber right, short shoot straight, then another right then quick hard left into the long sweeping run onto the front banking.

I caught a rider braking into the first left and decided to make a pass in that short shoot between turns, this requires you to square off early and hammer the gas to beat the rider into the next right where it's basically a slid block pass as you slip into the other guys line. So decision made(bad one)I square off and crank hard on the throttle into the off camber right hand turn. This was really the first time I hammered the throttle in a turn for the purpose of making a pass as all other passes were mostly done under braking. Well when I hammered the throttle the rear instantly spun up(done this pass on the F4i many times and it never let go like this!) sending me drastically sideways. Don't think I chopped the throttle, but could have, but for whatever reason the rear re-hooked and I instantly HIGH SIDED!

I was thrown almost straight up in the air and I would guess I was 12-15ft above the ground looking down on both my bike and the track. I don't think I did a flip, just straight up and straight back down. I landed on my feet probably at about a 45 deg angle to my travel and I'm guessing I'm doing 50-60 mph. My surgeon said most of the severe damage especially to my left ankle was done the instant my feet/foot hit the ground. I instantly started spinning like a top down the track and was very surprised at how much centrifugal force was being applied to my body and how long and violent this went on. :rolleyes:

When I finally came to rest on the track(never left the pavement)I knew that both my legs were broken as I could feel them(bones) moving around in my boots, especially the right broken Tibia. :blush: I was pretty beat up and already in major pain, but managed to at least lift my arm to indicate I was at least alive. I was not happy, but happy to be alive. :fing02:

BR

Jeebus!! Sounds crazy. Man, it just sounds terribly painful.

Probably similar to falling off the top of a big rig trailer while going down the freeway!

Thanks for explaining it again.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kev:

We're all just glad you survived and are still with us. I can assure you that you are on a lot of folk's minds. :rolleyes:

BTW, did you have on clean undies like your momma always told you to do? Nothing more embarrassing than having on week old under wear when the EMT's cut your gear off of you. :blush:

Pete

Kev:

We're all just glad you survived and are still with us. I can assure you that you are on a lot of folk's minds. fing02.gif

BTW, did you have on clean undies like your momma always told you to do? Nothing more embarrassing than having on week old under wear when the EMT's cut your gear off of you. blush.gif

Pete

They probbaly werent when the EMT's got to them, goofy.gif

• Member Contributer

"show my svelte bod"

Hmmmmmm, (cough), I musta' missed "THAT" Day.......... :fing02:

So, I guess it's safe to say you would be in favor of traction control, BR? :wheel:

Hope the healing continues w/o complications. :fing02:

So, I guess it's safe to say you would be in favor of traction control, BR? :fing02:

Hope the healing continues w/o complications. :fing02:

Actually No, not for the track or racing especially Pro Racing. I think all the computer controlled gizmos on current race bikes/cars take too much of the rider out of the scenario. :laugh: I like seeing them sliding and controlling with their brain & right hand! :unsure: Glad they took it away from F1 recently.

Yes, I would have just stayed home if I knew what was in store for me! :laugh:

Healing good so far.

Thanks!!!

BR

• 4 years later...

Maybe you should send those pictures to SIDI with your story. Not as a complaint or anything, just as an FYI. Maybe the'll send you a new set for free. :fing02:

Think it's too late to try this? I never did get around to doing that! :unsure:

Maybe you should send those pictures to SIDI with your story. Not as a complaint or anything, just as an FYI. Maybe the'll send you a new set for free. :fing02:

First thought was nah, it is never too late. Then I looked at the date. Has it really been 4 years already? Damn! Well, you aren't asking for warranty or anything, just telling them what happened and you were glad to be wearing their boots. You can even tell them since the accident you have replaced them with another pair of Sidi boots. You might get a "thank you for your story" or you might get a Sidi shirt, or maybe some sort of discount on another pair of boots. You never know unless you send it in. :beer:

First thought was nah, it is never too late. Then I looked at the date. Has it really been 4 years already? Damn! Well, you aren't asking for warranty or anything, just telling them what happened and you were glad to be wearing their boots. You can even tell them since the accident you have replaced them with another pair of Sidi boots. You might get a "thank you for your story" or you might get a Sidi shirt, or maybe some sort of discount on another pair of boots. You never know unless you send it in. :beer:

I did get a new set of SIDI Fusion, from you I think! :unsure:

• Member Contributer

After 4 years the cheesy smell inside the boots will dissipitated.

Send them in :-)

Archived