BR's crashed Boots

Baileyrock

Someone asked me what boots I was wearing during my crash and I just found my right boot that I was wearing during the crash. I think these are SIDI Vertigo Race boots that were in excellent shape prior to the crash. You can see the damage to the boot and the broken ankle support bracket! :fing02:

This boot was left on as a splint until I got to the ER where it was Cut off. :laugh:

Still looking for the left boot. :laugh:

post-301-125813760123_thumb.jpg

post-301-125813761118_thumb.jpg

And the damage

rightleg.jpg

The diagonal Tib fracture is mid boot!

rightleg001.jpg

Click on pic to enlarge.

11-25-09

Found my left boot and man, it's worse than the other! :blink:

There's even more damage to this boot like there was to my left ankle.

post-301-125918109892_thumb.jpg

post-301-125918114633_thumb.jpg

The broken support shows the lower portion on top of the upper bracket when it's suppose to be under it! I bent the boot almost enough to allow that bracket to pop back under or show how much movement was needed to have it pop out! :happy:

Scary.

post-301-125918130472_thumb.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

OOoooh, lota', hard, direct impact to break that support bracket that way...... :fing02:

Maybe you should send those pictures to SIDI with your story. Not as a complaint or anything, just as an FYI. Maybe the'll send you a new set for free. :blush:

That's a great idea Ken! :fing02:

Maybe you should send those pictures to SIDI with your story. Not as a complaint or anything, just as an FYI. Maybe the'll send you a new set for free. :blush:

:fing02:

Yep, great idea. And include the xrays, too. :fing02:

They CUT your boots off you?? They pretty much open right up!! That sucks!

Easier to cut them open that take a chance of applying torque and doing further damge, This goes with what ever your wearing, Even your undies if they deem it to be needed..

• Member Contributer

Well, it's not like he could've reused them. Cutting EVERYTHING instead of taking it off is pretty much standard practice in that situation. They do it for a reason.

What is that broken support bracket made out of?

Well, it's not like he could've reused them. Cutting EVERYTHING instead of taking it off is pretty much standard practice in that situation. They do it for a reason.

Yeah, cut first ask questions later! They cut my suit off too! :fing02:

The support brackets are made of some injection molded plastic. :blush:

• Member Contributer

If a camera could have been on that boot, the rear deflection must have been very extreme to do that..."maximum distortion"... :blush:

They cut my left boot off, well, really only just the weatherproof flap inside the zipper, which really has no bearing on how the boot slips off the foot.

The boot itself looks positively undamaged, just a few light scratches is all. I could still wear it, just that it wouldn't be waterproof anymore along the zipper.

• Member Contributer

I couldn't imagine what your ankle would look like if you weren't wearing a good quality boot like the one you were wearing.

What an impact your boot took.

me neither, thank goodness for the boots, WOW!

Damn that was an impact. I broke my heel in similiar fashion wearing proper MX boots. I know race MX boots can be removed if a bone is broken. I didnt have to cut mine off.

When I broke my femur they cut everything, brand new gear of course.

Hope your feeling better brother.

Pretty nasty, that's a lot of screws in you, BR. :blush:

I guess the bike must have come down on your feet and legs hard to do so much damage.

Heal well.

• Member Contributer

Maybe you should send those pictures to SIDI with your story. Not as a complaint or anything, just as an FYI. Maybe the'll send you a new set for free. :biggrin:

They just might... I did that with a bicycle helmet I cracked about 15 years ago in a fall. Sent it back to the Mfg with the story and they sent me a new helmet for free and thanked me for the info.

• Member Contributer

Yeah, cut first ask questions later! They cut my suit off too! :goofy:

The support brackets are made of some injection molded plastic. :blush:

I got cut out of my suit.....lady in wisconsin put it back together...it fits better now then it did before!! Let me know when you need her number! :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I am glad your doing okay BR.

The Million dollar Question would be would you buy those boots again?

Anyone have any feedback on Alpinestar S-MX 5 Waterproof Boots? I am in the market for boots, and BR's crash is causing me to look towards better than average boots.

LMAO @ Tracy.....although I doubt Sidi will do anything for you. I'd hate to see what your ankles would have looked like with some Nike's on instead. I'd say they did their job and saved your feet! Glad ur doing better BTW!

• Member Contributer

Sidi would also appreciate the boots and x-rays so they can improve their product and maybe prevent someone else from incurring this kind of injury. Who knows, you might save a bro's bones.

Definitely contact Sidi.

I am glad your doing okay BR.

The Million dollar Question would be would you buy those boots again?

Anyone have any feedback on Alpinestar S-MX 5 Waterproof Boots? I am in the market for boots, and BR's crash is causing me to look towards better than average boots.

Would I buy these again! Good question, I would say yes in general. I don't think anything boot or otherwise could have prevented my injuries! I'm guessing that if something would/could have protected my feet/ankles from this it would most likely mean that that force would have just moved up my legs to disperse the impact like my knees or femurs? :fing02:

My surgeon said everything was determined as soon as I hit! He said imagine an 200 lb sledge hammer (me) hitting my heals at 50-60 mph, actually I guess it would be more like two 100 lb sledges one on each heel. :blink: I just can't imagine any boot being able to stop/absorb that impact! :unsure:

I will no doubt look for more/better reinforced race boots though, looking to gain any extra protection of these rebuilt body parts if I ever get to do more track days! wink.gif

My surgeon said everything was determined as soon as I hit! He said imagine an 200 lb sledge hammer (me) hitting my heals at 50-60 mph, actually I guess it would be more like two 100 lb sledges one on each heel. :blink: I just can't imagine any boot being able to stop/absorb that impact! :wheel:

Someone else can do the math. I'm guessing you could compare it to falling from 2-3 stories up.

Ouch. :ohmy:

Archived