Forum Consensus On Front Braided Lines

Guest buzzbeater

Question

Guest buzzbeater

Would like to purchase front steel braided lines. Thought I would ask the list on brand and place to purchase.

I'm assuming that there's not going to be much difference between Goodridge and Gafler anyway but thought I would ask.

buzzbeater

• Member Contributer

I have Spieglers on mine and to be honest there isn't much of a difference between them and the stock lines...if it was not for my Convertibars which needed longer lines I would have regretted buying them.

They do look nice though so I suspect it was worth it after all.

I went with Galfer because they were much cheaper, but I can't comment on the benefit of SS lines over stock because I switched out the front end at the same time. I'd think that any SS line would be very close or the same for street use, as long as they are constructed well.

They've started coming out with Kevlar lines now...

I installed my Galfer front SS lines about five years ago and it has been great since with not problems at all. The feel at the lever has always been nice and firm with the sponginess that the original rubber lines had is forever banished from my bike. Why the manufacturers don't just use SS braided lines to start with as standard, boggles the mind, because they don't really cost that much anyway.

Beck

95 VFR

I'd love to put ss on my VFR the only issue I have is the number of lines that I have to swap and then the complete bleeding of every single component of the braking system.

That's a lot of stuff to do just to get good solid feel at the levers.

Now I have ss on all my cars (and I mean all 6 of them) so I really know that they work, it's just the VFR has so many damn lines (like 13!!!)

• Member Contributer

Goodridge, ordered via the bike shop who installed them...

HPIM4121.jpg

What are the advantages of steel braided lines? I know, it's a newb question!! My fronts are plenty strong stock in my opinion.

What are the advantages of steel braided lines? I know, it's a newb question!! My fronts are plenty strong stock in my opinion.

Thats why I havent needed them , but there's suppose to be a lack of flex with braided lines blamed on rubber expansion with the rubber type, Which give a mush feel.

Comes down to you have good brakes or ya dont, but the oem stuff seems to work well.

• Member Contributer

One other thing, a '99 VFR is 12 years old and those rubber lines really do deteriorate with age. You can feel the lines flex when they start getting that old. I got the braided steel lines to

get the feel of the original braking back. You don't notice it as the bike ages because it is so gradual, but it sure happens, and when you replace them, it's like OH WOW!!

I don't think anyone of a sane perspective could say they are worse than OEM in any aspect. I have Goodridge lines on mine. Going out for the shake down run on Monday when the calipers get here, I have brand new pads as well and fluid will be new too. I will give a report back on how they perform.

• Member Contributer

I bought mine for the looks...

Cannot say I felt a difference versus the oem ones, so if you are happy with how the oems perform for you.................

• Member Contributer

Some people need them b/c they make a difference at the track. Or so I hear.

Personally, I was always amazed at the power of stock brakes and have trouble imagining me needing even more powerful brakes.

But I am not riding that hard any way. No track, etc...

I vote for Galfer too for quality/value.

For people who had not tried SS lines, I have to tell you that THERE IS a difference. I did not believe it myself before I got my Galfer lines some years ago. It was only because it was on sale for a great price at the San Mateo/SF Motorcycle show. So suprised how much of the squishyness went away with the Galfers and the more direct feel you will have with the brakes. I'm sure, you will not be dissapointed yourself if you try them or other SS brakeline brands.

IMO, you can forgoe changing the rear brake line if you want to save some money as you don't rely as much on the rear brake anyway for almost all stopping.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

I went galfer front and rear in my '93 RC36.

Made a nice difference. Except, the rear is so strong, now, that if I have both brakes on going into a turn, and then roll off the throttle, the extra engine braking gets the rear tire to shrieking. Rear wheel lock is achieved much sooner with the braided line.

When i went to install braided lines on my 2009 KLR, I skipped the rear for this reason.

my new-to-me 2004 VFR800A has really mushy brakes on the OEM rubber lines, compared even to the KLR. not sure what my best option is for that, considering the linked brakes on the Gen 6.

Ordering source?

Just had Goodridge put on front and back as my rubber lines where mushy. Spent about $300 installed......I am overly happy with the results and feel. Barely have to squeeze to have instant braking power...night and day for me.

• Member Contributer

I don't think anyone of a sane perspective could say they are worse than OEM in any aspect.

Any thoughts on sanity aside, as long as the lines are coated on the outside of the steel I would agree. But I have had uncoated lines before and blew the line out. It's pretty easy for regular suspension motion (this was a car) to nick the stainless, and the teflon liner can't hold pressure at all. I hit the brakes hard for a Semi that was coming into my lane and the line blew out. Not fun.

Also, it goes the other way too. I've had braided oil lines cut through my power steering hard line. Exposed stainless braid can cut as well as be cut.

So get coated lines if you are getting them. The Galfer lines I used on my VFR in my F4i fork/caliper conversion are nicely coated...

• Member Contributer

I don't have a scientific basis for this, but I believe that at least 80.6% of the perceived benefit from "upgrading" to braided stainless steel brake lines comes from comparing the performance of a freshly bled braking system with one that hasn't been touched since the bike was new... :dry:

(Yes, I'm a cynic. And I always "upgrade" my bikes to stainless because I like the looks!)

Ciao,

Archived