4th Or 5th Gen? Which To Buy...

bud

I apologize in advance for the noob questions I’m asking…I have done quite a few searches on this and other forums and read countless articles…just looking for some first-hand advice at this point

I have about $5000 to burn on a bike (but that $$ has got to be enough to cover whatever initial tune-up the bike will need, new tires, possibly some luggage too). I sold off my ol’ Suzuki VX800 about six years ago and have since been making do with a ’77 Yamaha XS650 café racer project for in-town fun….but I’ve drooled over every Interceptor I’ve seen for years….whether it was a mid-80’s model when I was a kid, till when I was a grown-up saving for a house with my wife. I’ve finally scrapped together enough money to buy one.

I’ve always thought the 4th Gen VFR was the best looking one (just my personal opinion, but its still an important factor to consider). I know the 5th Gen is typically considered the best before the bikes got too gadgety with extra weight and the vtec. So, the questions I’ve got are….

-Which one (4th or 5th) will typically be cheaper to maintain in the long-run (carbs vs. fuel injection, and all that)….I hope to find one with low miles and hold on to it forever, so maintenance costs are pretty important

-Are parts for the 4th Gen bikes getting tough to find? Despite the bike’s cult following, I do worry that another few years from now I could find myself having a hard time or paying a lot of extra money to get parts for a bike that old while 5th Gen parts may be easier to come by.

-Since I'm going to hopefully hang on to the bike for a very long time, finding one with relatively low miles is important to me....I'd be been thinking I shouldn't consider anything with more than 20k miles on the clock....is that unreasonable? just seems like getting one with say 40k on it (even if it looks in good shape) will lead to expensive repairs that much sooner.

-Where to buy? I llive in Seattle….I check craigslist several times a week all over the western US….seems like bikes are typically cheaper away from big cities….is that what others have seen too? While it would be a pain to drive eight hours with my trailer just to look at one, I’d do it if it’ll save $1000.

-When to buy? Everyone wants a bike in Washington when the weather is nice….I’ve waited this long, so I don’t mind waiting a few more months….do used bikes typically drop in pice in the winter or do they stay fairly constant?

• Member Contributer

Are you an accountant by profession? smile.gif

I've never owned a 5gen because quite frankly its looks appeal the least to me of all the years/gens. JMO. For a long term keeper, I went with the 4gen due to its simplicity (no LBS, VTEC, FI). Parts will eventually get harder and harder to find but many of them are similar, identical or can be swapped from the 3gen. The aftermarket is drying up quickly tho'. I would try to find one with the mods you want all ready installed. It was produced for 4 years without changes so a parts bike backup is easy to find.

To get the most long term use, the 6gen is your best bet and can be found at your price point but it is the most complex. Low mileage specimens can be found in all years. Winter pricing is typically lower but to quote car commercials, "there has never been a better time to buy than right now" due to the economy.

Good luck.

• Member Contributer

4th gens are carbed.. parts are getting harder to come by.. 5th's have 50cc more, and are FI and have a better part availbility... both are mostly bulletproof (except for the r/r failures). 6th gens are VTEC, and chain driven drivetrain, so their maint costs would tend to be higher I'd imagine (tensioner failure and if you bother getting the valves adjusted...)

I'd lean towards the 5th (even though I own a 4th) just because it's a bit newer and for the FI (we won't even talk about the fact that it's the only model year that has a Torocharger availible) but you can probably score a 4th cheaper and have more $$ left over for farkles.

Just my $0.02, and I'm a 6th gen owner, but if I were you I'd go with a 5th gen. More likely to find a lower-mileage machine with or without existing mods, more parts availability and I really prefer FI over carbs. Less aging/wear and tear on all the components on the newer bike may be a big benefit, too.

If you really want a 4th or 5th gen, don't settle for a 6th gen just because there are many more available. Make no mistake - I love my '04 (and really prefer its looks over earlier gen's) but I'm sure I would have loved a 5th gen, which is considered by some to be the best VFR ever!

• Member Contributer

I don't know about the 4th but you can still get factory plastics for the 5th gen.... Just in case.

• Member Contributer

Go look at a 4th gen

go look at a 5th gen

if possible, ride both

buy the one that gives the most stirring in the nether regions :goofy:

You live NOW, you probably donot know what you will have for dinner on wednessday next week so you cannot know what you will need want get in the futuure

After 55k I think I'll check if my carbs need balancing....

it has never let me down

as for stirring nether regions.........

HPIM7484.jpg

Don't listen to Timmy, he is bad for u...

• Member Contributer

At the time I bought my 5th gen. A good friend of mine had a 4th gen. Rode them back to back. They are actually very close. 5th gen has a little more power and a slightly firmer suspension. And say what you want about the linked brakes but, they work. I could always get the 5th gen to stop better than the 4th gen.

Can't go wrong with either one!

The 4th gen is considered the best 750VFR and the 5th gen the best 800VFR, both are great bikes and will easily go over 100k miles no issue so I wouldn't worry all that much about miles. Just find one that has been kept up and still looks good, a low mileage find can't hurt but you can't really hurt these bikes.

VFRD's grand puba HS has over 120k miles on his 5th gen and does multiple coast to coast type trips every year and I have almost 70k on my 6th gen with no valve check or any other maintenance!

VFR's of any gen are fantastic bikes and over built in many ways, there not flawless but near bullet proof! :goofy:

thanks so much for all the info! ..especially good to hear about the 5th plastics still being factory-made...i was wondering about if I got a 4th gen and had an accident if I'd be needing to buy something like the Airtech aftermarket fairings to get the bike put back together cause factory plastics would be impossible to find.

• Member Contributer

Hi Bud, Welcome... I would say get whatever you can find... But look for a 4th Gen Then again I might be Biased Here is my '94 on Hwy 20 two weeks ago. Having recently replaced the left upper & mid fairing I can say parts are still available but I am not going to need replacements again :goofy: As all have said, engines are bulletproof, I picked mine up with 22K and now she is at 59.9K Just normal maintenance. Good Luck in your search I hope you find a jewel!

gallery_8073_4155_74754.jpg

IMG_0178.JPG

Welcome

I think the biggest difference (other than looks) is fuel injection vs carbs. I've so far gone with carbs, but you might want the newer technology, have to decide that yourself.

Parts/bodywork for the 5th gen will be more available for a few years, but it will be the same story down the road, so I personally wouldn't base a decision on the parts availability.

I also like the looks of the 4th gen better than the 5th, and I found mine cheap ($2600) with low miles (13k) so I added a few things that don't come stock on a VFR, or even a Honda smile.gif

(ha, another excuse for everyone to post pics)

gallery_12942_4385_491207.jpg

DSC01775.JPG

Good luck, show everyone what you get when you find one you like

• Member Contributer

I had both for a while:

The 4th gen is physically smaller than the 5th, and actually fit me better.

The fuel injected 800 makes a little more power, but not that much that I really noticed it in day-to-day riding.

The gear drive on the 5th gen is on the right side of the engine, while the gear drive on the 4th gen is in the centre of the engine. As a result, the 5th gen makes a lot more gear noise. I preferred the slightly quieter valve train of the 4th gen.

Brakes on the 5th gen are superior, but as they only slow you down I never cared too much about it.

Aftermarket support for the stuff you WANT to change on your bike (seat/suspension/muffler) is about the same for both bikes, although obviously some things will be harder to find for the older bike.

If I had to buy another VFR tomorrow, I would get a 4th gen.

Fascinating discussion. I'd go with the 5th gen...UNLESS, you can find a tasty white-on-white 4th gen. That's becoming a rarified animal.

I too, thought the 5th gen was wierd when I first saw it, but it grows on you. I really think it has fantastic lines. and I love my bike like no other. I am sure all years have their good parts and I hope to own all of them at some point, but I just truely love my bike.

now grain of salt time.....I only ridden one VFR in my whole life.

• Member Contributer
UNLESS, you can find a tasty white-on-white 4th gen. That's becoming a rarified animal.

Uhh? :fing02:

You're thinking about the 93 3gen.

As an owner who has owned 3 4th Gens and 1 5th Gen, I vote 4th. It IS the iconic model and a far more attractive bike than the somewhat "dumpy" 800. I didn't like the linked brakes though some peoples swear by them. Fuelling on the 750 is so smooth compared to the FI of the early 800's as well.

Buy with your heart, because, in the end, you'll love it whichever iteration of the model you choose.

Resized640x480_Honda%20750%20sale.jpg

UNLESS, you can find a tasty white-on-white 4th gen. That's becoming a rarified animal.

Uhh? :fing02:

You're thinking about the 93 3gen.

Er, yes, FotoMoto, thanks for the correction. :cool: Pardon the historical error.

It does not matter what year you get just look for this feature to get the best one:

rebuild024.jpg

As an owner who has owned 3 4th Gens and 1 5th Gen, I vote 4th. It IS the iconic model and a far more attractive bike than the somewhat "dumpy" 800. I didn't like the linked brakes though some peoples swear by them. Fuelling on the 750 is so smooth compared to the FI of the early 800's as well.

Resized640x480_Honda%20750%20sale.jpg

The 4th gen is very aesthetically pleasing. The LBS of the 6th gen was somewhat abhorrent to me also until I began to work with it. Now, I actually use the rear pedal lightly and like the feel, whereas before LBS, I never touched it. It works pretty well, somewhere in between classic unlinked front/rear only and ABS. The FI of the early 800's was hampered by all the emissions crap (PAIR, Snorkel, flapper) that Honda thought they should install to meet expected EPA standards. With those restrictions removed and a PC III installed, FI runs smooth as glass. Leave it to the government to screw up your driveability, in the name of...Global Warming? :fing02:

UNLESS, you can find a tasty white-on-white 4th gen.

The 4th generation US models ('94-'96) were red. You are probably thinking about the '93 3rd generation model. I had one and it was one of the most beautiful bikes I have ever owned. Not sure I would pick up one today because of parts availability issues:

vfr_rside1.jpg

Checking in to plead the 5th. I've had my '98 since '99 and it has never given me so much as an ounce of grief. Regular maintenance, brisk riding and a healthy dose of TLC keeps me and my baby happy as she heads for 40k on the clock. As for looks, If I were single I could've had opportunities a'plenty as many a winsome lass has quipped "Wow. Nice bike! Is it fast?" Umm, yeah...

When I dream I sometimes imagine a garageful of awesome bikes, and every Interceptor ever made lined up in a nice tidy row, wating for action. But since I can only have 1 at the moment I coudn't be happier with my baby...

Ultimately though, I second Dutchy's nether region advice. That would be stirred - not shaken... :cool:

Archived