4th Or 5th Gen? Which To Buy...

bud

• Member Contributer
Dumpy!?

8.jpg

A friend of mine once called the 5th gen "FAT" :laugh: and it is a bit broad in the belly

That's got to be one of the best looking bike pics ever. :lurk:

FI does it for me, much easier to plug in a Powercommander and adjust f/a mixtures than mess with carb jets. The LBS does work very well, you won't even notice it. But go with what you feel and the best deal you can get, you can't go wrong with either one. The 4th gen also has a left exit exhaust you can add. :cool:

I'd expect around $4K for a pristine 5g or $3K for a pristine 4g.

I'm in the newer is better camp, and didnt the 4th gens have some cam oil flow issues?

Many hate what Honda did to the 6th gen motor

Even though its just a usable

What gets lost in the anger, is the major chassis and suspension improvements and electrical

I'm still trying to fiqure out what to replace my 6th gen with, I could see if Honda revised the bike to a 1000 and installed improved suspension, it would be a strong consideration.

But Some How I think Honda has become stuck in the New world of Green and will surely screw it up

• Member Contributer

As much as I like my 4th gen, I'd say go with a 5th gen. Though I guess I'll be making that same decision in a month.

• Member Contributer

5th gen all the way...fuel injection is a great thing...but to get the best model go with a 6th gen. Mine has been flawless, 100% reliable and has never needed anything other than oil, gas and a good cleaning every now and then. The VTEC thing is greatly over blown IMHO. The linked breaks are great and the ABS is completely transparent.

It's the best bike I have ever owned and I have owned quite a few. Either way you go though you'll get a superb bike.

• Member Contributer

Stickin the vote out there for the 4th. Found my pristine adult owned 4th for a measley 3500 bones with only 13k on the clock and not a scratch on her. In no way will I argue that the 4th is the most technologically advanced of the two but for the racey, nitty gritty, iconic vfr go with the 4th. For example at TMAC this year, my 4th was submersed in a sea of 5ths and 6ths, but my buddy told me a great point, the VFR started with carbs, no VTEC or FI and if it wasnt for the roots, the 5th and 6th wouldn't even exist. You simply never see 4ths on the road and in most cases, it always proves to be a conversation starter. But IMHO, it really boils down to what stirs your lower loins, go test drive both and make a decision, you cant go wrong with either!!! Ride safe and post pics as soon as u commit :laugh:

Vince (97VFR750)

• Member Contributer

HPIM0114.jpg

Since everyone is putting up their eye candy, thought I would too :laugh:

• Member Contributer
I too, thought the 5th gen was wierd when I first saw it, but it grows on you. I really think it has fantastic lines. and I love my bike like no other. I am sure all years have their good parts and I hope to own all of them at some point, but I just truely love my bike.

Timmy's not kidding, he absolutely loves his 5th Gen... after 5 hours of riding with those two (him and his 5th Gen) all I could think is "Jeebus, get a room you two!" :goofy:

I prefer the 5th Gen. FI justs makes me smile.

Ride both and you'll figure out which is right for you pretty quick.

• 3 months later...

after spending most of the summer travelling due to work, i finally got to start looking for a bike again a couple weekends ago. I thought for sure I'd end up with a 4th gen VFR just cause thats the model I've drooled over for so many years, but after throwing a leg over one and riding it for a bit, I came to the realization that its actually a bit too small for me. I have pretty long legs and found the seating position to be a little too cramped and sporty for being something I could ride for a week or longer on big road trips. I hadn't even really been considering getting a 5th gen, but for the hell of it I looked at a 1998 this weekend. Much for comfy seating position (maybe its a sign I'm getting old), I really liked the extra legroom and the slightly more upright seating position....felt like I could ride that bike all day. Found a '98 with only 6000 miles and three givi monokey bags....hopefully getting a pre-purchase inspection of it later this week and as long as it comes back with a thumbs up from the mechanic, it'll be in my garage soon.

thanks for all the advice!

• Member Contributer

I got a 4th while looking for a 5th because I couldn't afford a 6th. THe 4th fits me great, better than the 5th (I'm 5'6" 135#) but wouldn't mind a 5th at all. The 4th I got had 3800 (yes hundred) original miles on it. Not perfect, but close. Do all my own maint. and mods (to include r/r and re-wiring) very easy to work on, but never worked on a 5th. AFTER the electrical up grades it has been 100% reliable (5000+ miles a year).

Bikes are like knives, pistols and swords, very personal to most because they are usually a manifestation of the users personality.

Get the one you like best and ride it, if you start with a 4th you can always move on to a 5th.

• Member Contributer

can't go wrong with either. Still have to spend a good weekend doing a back-to-back with the 4th and 5th gen, but both are great bikes, both have their strong points, and both can be had for a good price, though luggage and plastics will probably be easier to get for the 5th gen.

But I wholeheartedly agree that the 4th gen was one of the best looking bikes ever made. It's gorgeous from every angle except directly on the side.

• Member Contributer

Either one is a great VFR. The 5th gen has some major improvements though. Linked brakes work fantastic once you upgrade pads and rotors. Composite ceramic cylinders mean long engine life. Significant power and handling improvements. But comfort wise I always liked the way the 4th gen fit my 5'8" height and 30" inseam. Maintinance cost are comparable on both bikes. I've got 60,000 miles including a few track days on mine and valves never gone out of spec. No oil usage. Just be prepaired to tackle the onset of electrical gremlins that may come.

Archived