Time To Rebuild The VF1000R...IT LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kel

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Looks pretty stunning! :bliss: I really like that carbon fairing surround, I've got a roll of CF and may try that approach. Nothing I've done has looked good for long either.

• Member Contributer

Looks fantastic! You certainly have 'show bike' quality and details... Can't wait to see it rolling!

:beer:

• Member Contributer

Yay! :warranty:

Think it'll be ready for the Fall ride in the Catskills?

Will I have to drink strange liquids from a jelly jar?

Yes? Then count me in.

Yay! :warranty:

Think it'll be ready for the Fall ride in the Catskills?

Will I have to drink strange liquids from a jelly jar?

Yes? Then count me in.

:beatdeadhorse:

• Member Contributer

Baby steps part 2...

Got the foot pegs on

Hawk rear brake res. installed.

Rear rotor, caliper, bracket and arm painted/baked/installed.

Swingarm sanded and painted/installed.

Carbon wrapped abbreviated rear fender installed.

Lower rad. installed along with all hoses.

Fuel pump relocated.

Rear sprocket, cush drive installed.

Misc. cleaning/detailing.

Small "shock shield" of plastic and Carbon.

DSC03300b.JPG

Swingarm sanded smooth and fresh paint.

DSC03312b.JPG

DSC03309.JPG

DSC03314.JPG

Getting closer!

• Member Contributer

Finished up the baffles this weekend. I'm using 22 gauge, 2.5" OD, perforated 409 stainless with 1/8 holes on 3/16 spacing. The 2.5" is the same diameter as the pipe so I had to make a slice on 2 sides and overlap each of the cuts. I then put on a hose clamp to degrease the OD down a bit. A few whacks and it seated down to the rivets, about an 1 1/2". Very, VERY snug fit. A few rivets hold it in place but probably overkill.

DSC03340.JPG?psid=1

At the other end, the cans end cap ID and the tube's OD are both 2.5". Again, a VERY snug fit. I cut the length to seat against the end cap. Once the cap is in place, all is rock solid. No concerns with movement once things heat up.

DSC03341.JPG?psid=1

Left side cut and in.

DSC03344.JPG?psid=1

No packing for now ...I need to hear it like this first.

• Member Contributer

No packing for now ...I need to hear it like this first.

Me too! Can you post a video/sound clip when she fires, I would love to hear it. Did you fabricate the cans too?

Looks good!

:fing02:

• Member Contributer

Me too! Can you post a video/sound clip when she fires, I would love to hear it. Did you fabricate the cans too?

Looks good!

:fing02:

I'll try to get a clip when the time comes. Part of me thinks it will sound Bad Ass and part of me thinks it will sound like bad ass.

The cans are cut down Yoshi's with custom end caps...

FSCN2680.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I don't believe it. It fired right up. I haven't heard it run in 18 month's. The MotoBatt is amazing. Spins the big V4 faster than any battery in the past. It used to go "whut-tut- tut-tut-vroom. Now it goes whut-tut-vroom. A starter rebuild and fresh grounds didn't hurt. There is a back fire from the rear exhaust after full throttle then shut off. Nice little flame. The front is fine. I have very little tweaking to do after the rejet. I'm waiting for some exhaust packing to arrive cause it is loud.

I don't believe it. It fired right up. I haven't heard it run in 18 month's. The MotoBatt is amazing. Spins the big V4 faster than any battery in the past. It used to go "whut-tut- tut-tut-vroom. Now it goes whut-tut-vroom. A starter rebuild and fresh grounds didn't hurt. There is a back fire from the rear exhaust after full throttle then shut off. Nice little flame. The front is fine. I have very little tweaking to do after the rejet. I'm waiting for some exhaust packing to arrive cause it is loud.

Kel, the custom end caps look shinier than I remember...you been polishing your cap again? Glad the "R" is back kicking. I am shooting for a ride up that way this fall sometime, after I get my new tires for winter riding on the BRP.

BC

• Member Contributer

Kel, the custom end caps look shinier than I remember...you been polishing your cap again? Glad the "R" is back kicking. I am shooting for a ride up that way this fall sometime, after I get my new tires for winter riding on the BRP.

BC

Cool BC.

Who doesn't enjoy a good cap polishing?

Me either. Video or it never happened!! :smile:

what!! speak up....cant hear you over sound of imaginary engine running...............................

what!! speak up....cant hear you over sound of imaginary engine running...............................

:biggrin:

• Member Contributer

OK, OK, I have to get a firewire card for my PC this week. It should be here before the ceramic fiber packing so...I'll get a vid of it running. It's got a serious bark without the gutted V4 rattle/coughing. It is closer to GP than slip-on!! :biggrin:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

My decals came in. Still waiting for my NGK and Showa. Believe it or not, that #1 font was extremely tough to find. The guys at Tapeworks did some searching through 1000's of fonts to grab it. Still need a Keihin. 2?

DSC03426.JPG?psid=1

Kel - would you always go through Tapeworks for stock (style) stickers? Those look like a selection that was well planned. I am probably painting Ole Yeller this winter... dont worry, it will always be yellow... my buddy said he could do a pearl yellow .... reminding me of the 700F white pearl ones. They look good man! Good luck

• Member Contributer

Kel - would you always go through Tapeworks for stock (style) stickers? Those look like a selection that was well planned. I am probably painting Ole Yeller this winter... dont worry, it will always be yellow... my buddy said he could do a pearl yellow .... reminding me of the 700F white pearl ones. They look good man! Good luck

I used Tapeworks for the numbers and the others I picked up here and there. Tapeworks doesn't really deal with stock Honda stuff anymore, some copyright BS from Honda. There are other places to get VFR stickers. Let me look into it. Pearl sounds nice. Crispy's looked good.

Archived