Time To Rebuild The VF1000R...IT LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kel

• Member Contributer

Kel,

Looks fantastic! This may be the inspiration I need to get back in the garage...

Looks like I'll be in New England for good starting in July - I would love to see it up close if you are interested in a ride GTG.

:smile:

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Kel,

Looks fantastic! This may be the inspiration I need to get back in the garage...

Looks like I'll be in New England for good starting in July - I would love to see it up close if you are interested in a ride GTG.

That would be cool. Maybe we can hook up at this years Rice-O-Rama in Oxford MA in Sept. Might be half way for us and I've been meaning to get down to one for years. Hell, our bikes are considered vintage, right?

Check out this slide show from last year.

http://mattwrightphoto.net/?p=1086

• Member Contributer

t007.jpg?t=1335728287

What

A

Super

Nice

Looking

Ass

I'd love to stroke it.....

:tongue:

• Member Contributer

Kel,

That would be cool. Maybe we can hook up at this years Rice-O-Rama in Oxford MA in Sept. Might be half way for us and I've been meaning to get down to one for years. Hell, our bikes are considered vintage, right?

I'd say Vintage AND custom! Looks like a very cool assembly - and sounds like a great plan. Now i've got to find a place with a garage so I can get a cohesive paint scheme on her.

:fing02:

• Member Contributer

My MRA shield came in and I must say I was disappointed. Not only did it take 3 month's to get here but it didn't fit right. It is well made but once bolted up, it was very crowned. I couldn't figure out why it looked so bulbous. When I put my stocker on top of it, it was like 1.5" wider on each side at the top. I would have sent it back if I hadn't already painted some black on the inside to match the stock one. I threw it on the shelf figuring I'd never use it except in an emergency.

Well, it festered in me enough that I couldn't let it beat me so I broke out the masking tape, angle grinder and belt sander and was going to show it who's boss.

Here's how off it was from stock. My stock one is on top. The front holes line up but it goes down hill from there back. The bottom edge has blue tape on it. The top has has green tape on it.

t008.jpg

The tricky part was, I had to cut above the new shields mounting holes to have a clean edge to drill new ones. Once I did that, It made the shield much narrower than the stocker. Damn.

Wait a minute, I was going to bin the thing anyway so let's just drill some holes and see how it works. Once mounted I started tasting lemonade from this lemon. I actually loved it. It was a bear to get everything to flex enough to get the bolts in but once it was on, it looked perfect. It ended up much less curved than stock and not as bulbous. I always thought the stocker was a little "thick" up there. It's minor but it does sit much closer to the guages now and takes off right from the upper arm of the fairing rather than going up first before starting to curve inward.

IMG_2336800.jpg

IMG_2342.jpg

IMG_2346.jpg

It brings the top down a little and more in line with the rest of the bike. It's subtle but if you've looked at this fairing for the past 27 years, you'd see the difference. I'm diggin' it.

IMG_2338.jpg

I think I have just the Vodka to go with this lemonade.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Here's what I'm going to do, easier than a whole new oven. Allows the use of the ovens thermostat. Makes total sense to me. I only need a few more feet.

PregnantOven.jpg

hey Kel,

On your oven extension, I know you used fiberglass duct board. This is not a very common material here in Texas, but I managed to order some from Grainger and have it shipped to our local store for pickup. It seems there is a faced side, faced with a craft foil that is rated to 150 deg... and there is an unfaced side, rated to 450 deg. I assume you have the foil side out and the fiberglass side in. Is that correct?

• Member Contributer

Here's what I'm going to do, easier than a whole new oven. Allows the use of the ovens thermostat. Makes total sense to me. I only need a few more feet.

PregnantOven.jpg

hey Kel,

On your oven extension, I know you used fiberglass duct board. This is not a very common material here in Texas, but I managed to order some from Grainger and have it shipped to our local store for pickup. It seems there is a faced side, faced with a craft foil that is rated to 150 deg... and there is an unfaced side, rated to 450 deg. I assume you have the foil side out and the fiberglass side in. Is that correct?

My oven is not the one in that pic. Should be one of mine in your build thread. I used foil lined rigid foam insulation with foil on both sides. Why? Seemed the best option at HDepot. I don't know the heat toerance of it but it's lasted several high heat cycles. It's not a long term solution cause mine has bubbled a bit in spots but it's easy to make another. Most powder jobs are 400 range for 20 minutes. The exhaust is the extreme one with 500 degrees for an hour and that's the one that I think bubbled the foil the most.

• Member Contributer

Hi Kel,

Just wondering if you kept the original turn signals and stalks from your VF1000r.

I am trying to find a set for my rebuild project.

Thought that they might be sitting in a box in your workshop collecting dust........

Heres hoping.

Cheers Simon (TassyVF1000r)

• Member Contributer

You thought correctly Simon. I do have the stockers on a shelf collecting dust but unfortunately, they will go back on when I turn this whole project back to stock someday. Try ebay for some that fit other VF's. I think some people were using the 500F's stalk's cause they were shorter and not as floppy. There are aftermarket ones that are less than half the price of OEM, like here...

http://www.partsnmor...fitting]=custom

The 750's should be the same design if not the same part number. The fronts are 3 wire, the backs can be either. The screw that holds the signal onto the stalk should still be available.

Sorry and good luck.

• Member Contributer

The newer CBR600RR (1000RR?) stalks bolt right up. More of a teardrop shape and look a little more modern but close to the originals.

• Member Contributer

I think some people were using the 500F's stalk's cause they were shorter and not as floppy.

Here is the intel in the short VF500F stalks (OEM part no. 33692-KE7-000). The parts fiche notes this as a 'rear stay' but it is actually the front stay:

DSC03576.jpg

DSC03581.jpg

DSC03583.jpg

Sometimes the signal stalks are interchangeable front/rear on some Hondas.

I did that with the wife's VTR250. The rear signals were sticking out on these very long stalks, and the fronts were much shorter.

Order a set of front stalks, install on rear signals, voila!

• Member Contributer

It brings the top down a little and more in line with the rest of the bike. It's subtle but if you've looked at this fairing for the past 27 years, you'd see the difference. I'm diggin' it.

IMG_2338.jpg

I think I have just the Vodka to go with this lemonade.

That is just the subtle kind of detail that makes your bike trick.

And proves you do indeed have a touch of OCD... :smile:

• Member Contributer

And proves you do indeed have a touch of OCD... :smile:

AAAAHHHHHH! Not you too Tom!

Thanks bud.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I decided to fix my floppy toolbox on the R. Over 27 years with hundreds of openings and closings, the rivots had gotten pretty loose. Once I had it apart and in my hand I realized it was pretty scratched up and faded as well. Since I had some extra Carbon Fiber cloth and resin kicking around, I figured what the hell. Being a box and an odd shaped one at that, I knew this wasn't going to be easy but I figured it was better than what's there now.

Before...

Toolboxbefore.jpg?t=1344356703

After... with new rivets and carbon applied with several coats of resin. It's rock solid now.

Toolbox.jpg?t=1344356613

I decided to fix my floppy toolbox on the R. Over 27 years with hundreds of openings and closings, the rivots had gotten pretty loose. Once I had it apart and in my hand I realized it was pretty scratched up and faded as well. Since I had some extra Carbon Fiber cloth and resin kicking around, I figured what the hell. Being a box and an odd shaped one at that, I knew this wasn't going to be easy but I figured it was better than what's there now.

Before...

Toolboxbefore.jpg?t=1344356703

After... with new rivets and carbon applied with several coats of resin. It's rock solid now.

Toolbox.jpg?t=1344356613

That is so cool...gonna have to steal that one..

• 4 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Just went through this thread again. Sucha great build Kel. Any chance you are ginna make it to TexasMac this year?

Two bike I must see before I croak are your 85 and Tom's (VF100RS) 86. Just great modernized bikes with 1000cc's of V4 muscle.

• Member Contributer
Kel

GREAT build!! Did you ever weigh the completed bike? I hope the "new" RVF looks as great as this one!!

Thanks. I haven't weighed it, probably because it's still going to be a high number. This way I can still imagine it's a svelte bit of Honda exotica (that is till it's time to heave it up off the side stand :laugh:)

Just went through this thread again. Sucha great build Kel. Any chance you are ginna make it to TexasMac this year?

Two bike I must see before I croak are your 85 and Tom's (VF100RS) 86. Just great modernized bikes with 1000cc's of V4 muscle.

Thanks CC. I would love to get down to TMac some day. I'd have to go on the shortest loops cause do-able seat time on this old sport bike is not as long as the VFR's! Next year is a definite possibility.

I would very much like to hit a bike night or 2 with Tom's Mutant along side. Would make for some interesting photo ops I think

Archived