Time To Rebuild The VF1000R...IT LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kel

• Member Contributer

Well, if you make to TexasMac we could extend your ride time by swapping rides for a period...just trying to help a brother out. :cool:

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
Well, if you make to TexasMac we could extend your ride time by swapping rides for a period...just trying to help a brother out. :cool:

HA!

Yeah...I couldn't possibly enjoy myself knowing someone was politely enduring my 28 year old relic while I was basking in all that VFR comfiness. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Oh, I have to be polite as I endure it...this may not work.

Let me know what gen VFR you want to ride and which suspension set up....I will see if I can accomodate.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Since it's snowing this weekend, I thought I'd get some inside work done. I've been meaning to do a valve adjustment for some time now but it's such a pain that I tend to put it off. With my bike in a cold garage I thought I'd take a look at a motor I had kicking around. I bought it several years ago as a spare for $400 with unknown mileage. I painted it and did a valve adjustment.

Rmotor_zps6a2e7c62.jpg

Not much adjustment was needed and they are all spanked up now. Every lobe looked like this one, perfect. I'm sure there are bad ones out there but of the 6 R motors I've seen inside, none had messed up cams... not scientific, just saying.

camlobeR_zps4e2bd6f5.jpg

So i'll swap motors when the weather gets better and see how second gear is. It probably has 60k miles less on it than the one in there now so hopefully she'll be a little "tighter". I'll put in a fresh clutch and a set of low mile pickups.

• Member Contributer

Good deal, Kel! Nice to see those minty cams (and followers)!

Roger that stranger. One with a new R may not need to rush to get an oil mod done right away. More peace of mind I suppose.

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Why Lord...Why?

It seems like I was just at this stage not that long ago. Geez! I thought I was done with this thing.

frame_zps9d1ad7d5.jpg

I decided to try out a motor I had kicking around just to see if was solid or not. I strip everything off and lift the frame off the motor...easy for one person, but you often find things that need addressing while you're in there so... Looking at the frame, there were some places that really needed some touch up so I had to respray it.

I had painted the block, heads and valve covers but looking at the side covers, there were some scratches and and some faded areas. They were in my hands so it would be dumb to not freshen them up as well so...

Into the blast cabinet to remove the paint and here they are all naked.

blasted_zps288921dc.jpg

Some black powder before their trip to the oven. It looks grey but be patient.

drypowder_zpsc77c7e3c.jpg

Fresh from the 400 degree oven. All totaled...about $4 worth of powder with plenty left over for other things that will most likely pop up.

sidecover_zps5bf63d85.jpg

sprocketcover_zps7eb99502.jpg

I've got my radiators at a shop getting an enema. That gives me some time to get the rest of the stuff back on. Looks like I'll be re-doing the rear wheel as well. It was my first attempt at home PCing

so there are a few spots that I could live with but since everything is set up, I might as well do it right while I'm at it.

of the 6 R motors I've seen inside, none had messed up cams... not scientific, just saying.

It it science. The science of gear driven cams.

A powder coating party and you did not PM me... I would have spent $25.00 in beer to look over your shoulder on this... Hmmmmmm.

• Member Contributer

I gets a little easier every time doesn't it Kel?

yes it does.

Oops, I did it again?

Powder looks good. Better hurry, riding season is here.

I know it looks bad but it will be done in days rather than seasons like last time, no engineering to figure like before...just reassembly...hopefully.

A powder coating party and you did not PM me... I would have spent $25.00 in beer to look over your shoulder on this... Hmmmmmm.

:laugh: :laugh:

Cool, gonna look even better soon.

Let's call it Rebuild 2.0. I'm also re-doing the carbon fairing surround. There were a few places that weren't great as it was my first attempt at it.

...and no Seb, I have NO OCD!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Rear wheel was my first try at powder coating. I put too much on and I didn't have my foot on the electric charge button for the first few seconds...go figure. It looked nice then but after a few scrubbings, it lost it's shine. I stripped it down and re-shot it this past weekend and just got the tire mounted today. Looks way better.

Rear wheel 2.0

rearwheel_zps64ebca8d.jpg

Looks grey but it's bright white. Should have it on tomorrow then I'll mount the new sprockets and chain and have a roller.

• Member Contributer

I bought a very low mile radiator since mine was very long in the tooth. The fins on the new one were perfect. I took it to a radiator shop for a flush just to be safe. The guy did a great job and even freshened it up with a misting of black radiator paint...it looked brand new.

In putting together the RC51 front end, the stock rad screen was removed just to get that extra bit of clearance. Now with the custom triples, there's no worries of contact with the fender. As I was looking at the stock screen, it was looking kind of faded with some flaws here and there, so I decided to hunt down some screen material.

While pouring through some options online(none of which I liked), I noticed a filing tray on my desk. It had black screen material and looked like it wouldn't block much air. So...out came the snips.

tray_zpsbdfd3f61.jpg

The cool part is, it has rows of rounded ridges across the face for strength which gives it a nice detail rather than just a piece of flat mesh. I gently slid in a wide putty knife along the edges to make room for the mesh then gently squeezed the edges back down to hold it. It's rock solid and has no flex at all. We'll see how long it lasts outdoors but in the meantime, I think it looks pretty good.

screen_zpsb6f4435d.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Without exception, the original fans are the most antiquated part of my bike now. They look old and have cycled on and off for 100k+ miles over 28 years. They MUST be dog tired. I've seen some guys replacing their stock fans or complimenting the stock fan with a Spal made slim fan. I decided to try a pair to see if I notice any difference in cooling.

56e66363-72e5-4099-8ba6-fbf9e3534a38_zps

The plug is even the same for a 28 year old bike...who would have guessed?
bd9e7972-d41e-4745-a020-ae87c4d05359_zps

They are the 5.2" and measure out at 5.5" with the housing. They definitely pull a lot more air than the stockers but now I'm thinking that 2 are over kill. The stockers are housed in a metal shroud that is full of gaps and holes and it doesn't seat tight against the fins while the Spal's sit down tight with all available suction going to pulling air through the radiator. The difference is night and day in pulling power,

If you look at a modern CBR radiator, the fan is tiny compared to the surface area of the radiator...like 1/5th to 1/6th of the surface?
ef8f2c9e-023d-470b-8dcd-af6b1fa7a23d_zps

Seems like a really strong fan covering 1/3rd to 1/4(counting the upper rad as well) would be fine...no? I test fit a location on a spare radiator and like what I see for coverage.
0a51b98a-fa4a-4ba3-b83d-2f08b228d1ae_zps

I have 2 and can certainly mount both I'm just thinking why rob extra juice while in slow traffic when 1 will suffice. I'm going with one for now and see how it goes. If sound is any indicator, this one is pulling more air than the stock antiques.

• Member Contributer

Being a VF newbie, and living in a hot climate......do these engines run hot? Curious eh! :unsure:

Can you fry eggs on a Baghdad sidewalk in July??

Yeah, they run a little toasty.

• Member Contributer

Hmm. I should maybe flush my cooling system before our Summer!

Being a VF newbie, and living in a hot climate......do these engines run hot? Curious eh! :unsure:

Can you fry eggs on a Baghdad sidewalk in July??

Yeah, they run a little toasty.

• Member Contributer

Without exception, the original fans are the most antiquated part of my bike now. They look old and have cycled on and off for 100k+ miles over 28 years. They MUST be dog tired. I've seen some guys replacing their stock fans or complimenting the stock fan with a Spal made slim fan. I decided to try a pair to see if I notice any difference in cooling.

56e66363-72e5-4099-8ba6-fbf9e3534a38_zps

Great idea, Kel! Looking forward to seeing how this works out.

• Member Contributer

For the first time since I bought my R back in 1985, it has sprung a leak in the petcock. Like many models here, the R's parts availability is rather dismal so I was rather pleased when I saw the seal was still kickin' around. The original has performed wonderfully for 28 years and through many New England winter/summer cycles. The old one will take it's place on the shelf-of-fame in my garage as a fitting thank you.

petcockseal_zps8ebbd0e2.jpg

Archived