Time To Rebuild The VF1000R...IT LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kel

• Member Contributer

How is the exhaust coating hold Ing for you?

Holding up great. If you can bake it yourself, it's pretty cheap.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

How is the exhaust coating hold Ing for you?

Holding up great. If you can bake it yourself, it's pretty cheap.

What type of coating did you use?

• Member Contributer

What type of coating did you use?

It's a ceramic. I used the chrome. Spray it on and bake. It dries kind of chalky but after hitting it with 0000 steel wool and some polishing, it gets shiny. I wasn't able to buff it to a "chrome" finish but more of a satin nickle which is more appropriate for a race bike. You can get a pretty reflective finish if you have the right equipment or patience. I would think nothing of using the matte black or titanium for a future exhaust project.

What cha got brewin'?

http://www.columbiacoatings.com/category_s/1051.htm

• Member Contributer

Doing a full rebuild/fighter project on a 4th gen. Planning to powdercoat most of it and wanted a good DIY exhaust solution. I've seen a lot of guys have trouble with their exhaust coatings staying put. Even sending it off to have it done professionally. If you're having good luck with I'll probably give it a try.

• Member Contributer

I made an extension off the front of an old oven with some foiled rigid insulation to give me the needed length for the exhaust sections. A simple slide frame to make getting parts in and out easier. I've powder coated both wheels and countless other items in there as well. I've painted some pieces with VHT caliper paint and cured them in there as well, sets up nice from the heat.

Oven.jpg

Caswell has a ceramic coating that's very similar. Same idea.

http://www.caswellpl...romex-4-oz.html

Can't remember now if I used the Columbia or Caswell stuff, but I'm leaning now towards the Caswell. Go figure.

• Member Contributer

I'm hoping to be able to one big enough to powdercoat the frame in as well... We shall see.

Someone in my build topic suggested I look you up when I was asking about powdercoating... I'm definitely inspired!

• Member Contributer

I'm hoping to be able to one big enough to powdercoat the frame in as well... We shall see.

Someone in my build topic suggested I look you up when I was asking about powdercoating... I'm definitely inspired!

I've thought about that as well. I thought maybe extend the foil box out more, tip the oven on it's back and lower the frame down in and hang it. Build a lid that goes around the hanging wire? The VF's rear frame is part of the main frame but if you can remove the sub frame, it wouldn't have to be that long.

• Member Contributer

Here's a pic of the triples installed. Still have to button things down but you get the idea. Added a metal Honda logo for kicks.

Also reworked my VF/CBR tank vent. The old one was venting under the fill and I didn't like it, it weeped some fuel on to the neck which sat there and ate the paint. This one should be good to go.

tripleinstalled.jpg

• Member Contributer

Triples look nice. Any trimming required? How's the steering lock?

There was some minor interference with the frame near the neck. The way I had them configured, not as much material could be removed as I'd like but I was able to get it to work. It's also a trick to get the cables and clutch/brake levers to clear the guages and mirrior mounts in front and the tank in back of full lock. Again I've gotten it to work. Steering lock is much much better but I haven't road tested it yet. Steering stop still looks likely to be the frame. Early gut feeling is I'm going to like it much better than the CBR/RC51 stuff.

How close is the fork tube to the upper frame at full lock on the stocker?

• Member Contributer

Not sure this will fit your application but here is a photo of the adjustable steering stops on my VF500F 41mm fork conversion:

I like that cam setup a lot. The R is a little different. I'm guessing I'm still going to use all of the available lock so the frame may still be the stop so...?

I'm going to put some thin rubber pads on the frame for a stop if needed.

Here's a pic of the triples installed. Still have to button things down but you get the idea. Added a metal Honda logo for kicks.

Looks good!

Did you revert to the brushed finish? They don't look quite as shiny as they did in the previous pic.

• Member Contributer

Looks good!

Did you revert to the brushed finish? They don't look quite as shiny as they did in the previous pic.

Yes. I like to give it a polish first then the brushing.

• Member Contributer

Triples look nice. Any trimming required? How's the steering lock?

There was some minor interference with the frame near the neck. The way I had them configured, not as much material could be removed as I'd like but I was able to get it to work. It's also a trick to get the cables and clutch/brake levers to clear the guages and mirrior mounts in front and the tank in back of full lock. Again I've gotten it to work. Steering lock is much much better but I haven't road tested it yet. Steering stop still looks likely to be the frame. Early gut feeling is I'm going to like it much better than the CBR/RC51 stuff.

How close is the fork tube to the upper frame at full lock on the stocker?

Finally took a look at my stock bike. There is about 3/8" clearance between the stock fork tube and the lower frame rail at it`s closest point at full lock.

• Member Contributer

I finally got around to adding about 8-10" to the rear pipes before they merge into one. They were too short before. As much as I hated to mess with another exhaust build, I knew what to do this time and it went much easier. I also redid the baffles and packing.

The first baffle size is on the right, the current diameter on the left.

signalpics002.jpg?t=1335728411

Exhaust flow was ultimately going to have to come out of the small end cap opening so I figured I'd make the baffle match the opening size(sorta). I had a 4-1 Sudco baffle lying around that was the right diameter so I cut 2 pieces that fit perfectly. The added benefit besides a little back pressure is I got more packing in there. I was able to wrap a few more times around the smaller baffle.

This is a quality kit I got from Moose Racing. Simply wrap the baffle with the stainless screen, then the SS wool mat, followed by the fiber matting. Secure it with a little masking tape and work it in to the can.

signalpics005.jpg?t=1335728431

I also pulled the exhaust tips in a little. The bottoms are now flush with the tail, looks better I think.

t007.jpg?t=1335728287

In a conversation with non motorcycle friends (They are my wife's friends.. LOL) they asked when I would be done with my bike... I said "never, there is always something"... You are proving my point.

Great work! Did you cut those triples yourself? Awesome Awesome Awesome.

• Member Contributer

Kel, your license plate bolts are crooked.

:tongue:

Oh sh**, I'm breaking out the laser level as we speak!!

What makes that truely funny is, anyone who knows me knows I'm completely oppisite from caring about that stuff. I've never been mistaken for meticulous...you have seen pics of my shop...right?

In a conversation with non motorcycle friends (They are my wife's friends.. LOL) they asked when I would be done with my bike... I said "never, there is always something"... You are proving my point.

Great work! Did you cut those triples yourself? Awesome Awesome Awesome.

So true. The triples were cut for Seb using his CB900 design that I had tweaked to my needs/wants.

What makes that truely funny is, anyone who knows me knows I'm completely oppisite from caring about that stuff. I've never been mistaken for meticulous...you have seen pics of my shop...right?

No, no I haven't... lol

You've got a little OCD in you, you might just not realize it yet... :D

• Member Contributer

You've got a little OCD in you, you might just not realize it yet... :D

You wouldn't say that if you saw my closet floor, car trunk, work bench, R's wiring harness, pantry, etc, etc.

Archived