Time To Rebuild The VF1000R...IT LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kel

• Member Contributer

I like the battery location, that's poor-man's anti-wheelie control! :pissed:

I like to think of it as Electronic Traction Control.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On a more serious note, maybe I'm a (lot) late on this, but the VFR400 swingarm looks a tad ......slender for this application???

I mean, the VF1000R is a full 50% heavier than a VFR400? 600lbs Vs 400lbs.

Well, approximately half that will be borne by the swingarm, so an extra 100lbs for it to deal with, which is probably about the same as putting a pillion on a vfr400.

But then there's the extra HP/torque........

What thinkest thou?

:pissed:

• Member Contributer

I like the battery location, that's poor-man's anti-wheelie control! :pissed:

Let me know if you need a hand with any of this project.

• Member Contributer

On a more serious note, maybe I'm a (lot) late on this, but the VFR400 swingarm looks a tad ......slender for this application???

I mean, the VF1000R is a full 50% heavier than a VFR400? 600lbs Vs 400lbs.

Well, approximately half that will be borne by the swingarm, so an extra 100lbs for it to deal with, which is probably about the same as putting a pillion on a vfr400.

But then there's the extra HP/torque........

What thinkest thou?

:pissed:

What makes you think it's a VFR400 arm...cause...it isn't.

Whatever it is, it's lovely and slim! :goofy:

I'm liking it a lot - most of the VFR swingarms are just urrgleee..

Ok, ok, I didn't read the ENTIRE thread.

You said something about a 400 wheel, so.........

I made an ASS out of ME and didn't listen to U. :wub:

(but the swingarm STILL looks skinny in the pics) :goofy:

Whatever it is, it's lovely and slim! :goofy:

I'm liking it a lot - most of the VFR swingarms are just urrgleee..

I think its the 18" RC30 wheel that makes the swing look so slim. You got a "harley" 180/55r18 D207 on the RC30 rim Kel, right? The 18" RC30 rear wheel sure looks great and makes it have the looks of the time, even it limitis tire choose werry mutch. A NC30 rear wheel, thro 18" would give better tire choose as its only 4,5 wide (compare to RC30s 5,5) and take 160/60r18 tires. Of cores the fatter 180 looks better.

I also like the carbonfiber work you done (as I adoor carbonfiber) even it does not fit the time of the bike, but that might not be the what you looking for.

I look forward to see the final product! :wub:

I like the battery location, that's poor-man's anti-wheelie control! :goofy:

:wub:

Hey Kel, looking good man! Are you required to have both low & high beam in NH? Does that projector have a dimming shutter inside, or do you have other/no other plans for lighting?

• Member Contributer

Ok, ok, I didn't read the ENTIRE thread.

but the swingarm STILL looks skinny in the pics) :goofy:

Shame on you! :wub:

That arm has been on everything from VF1000R's to turbo CBX's to CBRXX's to ZX14's so I don't really have a concern if it will handle my weight/HP/torque.

I think its the 18" RC30 wheel that makes the swing look so slim.

I think the same thing. Plus without the sprocket, chain, caliper and rotor, it really makes it look slim.

• Member Contributer

Hey Kel, looking good man! Are you required to have both low & high beam in NH? Does that projector have a dimming shutter inside, or do you have other/no other plans for lighting?

NH requires both H and L beam. This H9 bulb has no sliding cutoff shield but the HID unit I have does. I just have to get around to that but probably not this year. My buddy does my inspections so I just hand him my registration and he hands me a sticker. I haven't had a chain guard(also required) since 1989.

• Member Contributer

Will do Dylan. I may need to borrow your carb sync if I don't get one first. How's things on your end?

NH requires both H and L beam. This H9 bulb has no sliding cutoff shield but the HID unit I have does. I just have to get around to that but probably not this year. My buddy does my inspections so I just hand him my registration and he hands me a sticker. I haven't had a chain guard(also required) since 1989.

:goofy:

• Member Contributer

Will do Dylan. I may need to borrow your carb sync if I don't get one first. How's things on your end?

Anytime... just give a shout

My engine is still sitting on the garage floor. I need to pull the front and rear so I can just maneuver the frame around the engine and not go through the wrestling match you and I did.

I also want to talk to you about the CBR wheel swap and the method to hang the rear caliper.. I have the rims, just need some cleaning and powdercoat.

• Member Contributer

I also want to talk to you about the CBR wheel swap and the method to hang the rear caliper.. I have the rims, just need some cleaning and powdercoat.

Here's what I did. I didn't like the idea of a big block on the arm plus I like the caliper below the axle(looks wise). This brake arm could be drilled with some lightening holes but I was in a hurry. Just a very mild mod to one of the caliper bolts. I've got a ton of miles on this setup with no issues. I rarely use the back brake any way. I'll bring the setup over when you get close. I'll let you know when I PC my front so we can do yours as well.

rear%20brake.jpg

• Member Contributer

Here's what I did. I didn't like the idea of a big block on the arm plus I like the caliper below the axle(looks wise). This brake arm could be drilled with some lightening holes but I was in a hurry. Just a very mild mod to one of the caliper bolts. I've got a ton of miles on this setup with no issues. I rarely use the back brake any way. I'll bring the setup over when you get close. I'll let you know when I PC my front so we can do yours as well.

rear%20brake.jpg

Excellent. LEt me know when you're ready to PC and I'll cover all the costs plus some good beer for while they are baking :biggrin:

kel, That looks great, I would love to ride over and check it out some day this spring. You are about 2 hours away and it would be a good ride.

lee

• Member Contributer

kel, That looks great, I would love to ride over and check it out some day this spring. You are about 2 hours away and it would be a good ride.

lee

Only after she gets her cloths back on. You are welcome for sure to bring that V45 over here for a visit!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Thanks Tom, it really did come out better than I could have hoped. Sometimes, home versions of shop equipment falls short on delivering good results but this little thing is not one of them. No fumes, no over spray and the out side temp doesn't matter since it's in the oven anyway! Oh yea, and it's rock hard!! :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

I got some work done and baby steps are adding up.

Off the To Do List...

Frame painted and clear coated.

Motor back in.

Coils on.

Carbs cleaned, jetted and installed with new filter.

Upper fairing stay painted and installed.

Radiators flushed and upper installed.

Gauges detailed and installed.

Carbon fairing surround wet sanded and clear coated.

Thermostat painted and installed.

Air box capped and puke filter installed.

kF rad. reserve tank installed.

Swingarm painted.

Time for a beer(s)!

DSC03287B.JPG

DSC03289B.JPG

• Member Contributer

Stunning! :fing02:

Now we need a pic of you "riding" the thing with your Black 'n Decker WorkMate chassis kit and kiln-dried 2x4 footpegs! :cheerleader:

The lift is a hydraulic lift from a Harley dealership that was up grading and threw this one out, Works great, you just have to pump it like a jack.

The footgegs are at least renewable if not comfortable!! :fing02:

Archived