Time To Rebuild The VF1000R...IT LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kel

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I got a little more body work done today. I trimmed the seat to follow the frame more. Before it hung down on the frame at the bottom and I just didn't like it. I was going to weld on a nut to the side of the frame to secure it but now it will get a small tab with a nut welded on the back. This is really how it should look.

DSCN2792.JPG

DSCN2793.JPG

I stuck the headlight in for kicks. It will be a little more recessed than this. I also raised the rear and slid the forks up a little. I thought I was high up front before but after dropping an inch I'm still at 27" from the lower front fairing screw(which is stock height). I may go another .5 inch but that will wait. I'm starting to get a warm, fuzzy feeling seeing her dressed up. I only wish it were last April.

DSCN2795.JPG

• Member Contributer

Awesome! I really like the tank, I agree with you that it fits much better than the original. This is just what I needed...

Also like the front with the 'endurance' style!

:fing02:

• Member Contributer
Very cool. Love the single headlight. Radiators?

Thanks Tom. It's going to be stock radiators for now. Not too concerned with air flow up top. The opening below the screen is adequate. There really wasn't that much air getting in under the dual headlight anyway. If things get hot, I'll throw on a 120mm PC fan, but I'm not anticipating any problem. A manual fan switch has always served me well.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I'm afraid you'll need more popcorn.

A whole winter's worth?

Yes, and you should see the drink size.

• Member Contributer

No big snags, I hope? :blink:

No big snags unless you consider time a snag. Time and money collided to push the project back a little. I'll get it in to the basement and start all the detail work. Probably wait till spring for the final paint.

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Almost 5 month's to the day since my last update because...umm...there were no updates done. So back in the saddle today with a good blow down and a quick spray wash. I did do some minor fairing work to get ready for the projector beam install. Not sure if I'll attach it to the upper stay with a metal cage or make a carbon fiber block attached directly to the fairing.

Proof...DSC03226.JPG

• Member Contributer

I still think you're ahead of me :unsure:

I like the lines, and the SSS... gives me something to look forward to. Originally I was going to use that model tank and noticed some clearance issues with the airbox, are you using the stock box?

Looks good!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I did get some work done this week. Doesn't seem like much but it did take a lot of time.

I came to a point in the build where I started thinking about a way to mount a license plate. I'm not a big fan of the sideways plate attached to the swingarm. Hell, I don't even know if it's legal. It had to be sturdy because it will hold a tail light, signals and the plate. I kicked around some aluminum brackets but didn't like what I was seeing. I decided to go with my trusty Carbon Fiber. I formed a plastic shape that I liked and tacked it to the tail with some resin mixed with some shredded fiberglass cloth. When that was mostly cured but still tacky, I wrapped the whole thing in CF. I ran it out on to the flat area on the outside and tucked up underneath. A couple of coats of resin and sanding in between and it's all done. Rock hard and super strong. I think I could stand on it and not break it off.

This is it after the first coat of resin on the CF has dried and been sanded. This is when you say OH SH**, I ruined it. But it will look better with more coats. The key to the first sanding is not to chase after every bump because you don't want to break in to the fibers at all or it will look crappy.

DSC03229.JPG

Side view. It's shorter than the plate which I wanted. It has a slight curve to and looks like it could be a stock fender which is cool.

DSCN3067.JPG

Here it is at a distance. Looks like it's always been there.

DSCN3072.JPG

I also needed to reinforce the duct on the top of the tail. I could have used fiberglass underneath but I had a small piece of CF left over so it went on top. It will get masked off and painted around it to let it show. It will also help to break up blue that will go there.

Can't really see the weave but it looks nice. Stinkin' camera! This tail was REALLY rashed and wavy when I got it. 20 hours into this probably isn't far off.

After...

DSCN3068.JPG

Before...

reartail.jpg

• Member Contributer

Really nice Kel... I like the endurance look of the tail - should look great with the 'new' front.

Can't wait to see it in color, what paint schemeare you going with?

:pinocchio:

• Member Contributer

Really nice Kel... I like the endurance look of the tail - should look great with the 'new' front.

Can't wait to see it in color, what paint schemeare you going with?

:lobby:

I'm probably asked this more than any other question. I have some ideas kicking around. I don't want to say yet but there will be no mistaking it as a Honda. There will be red,white and blue along with a special model name. Just think 80's Factory race bike and you'll be close. I change my mind every 2 weeks so hard to say exactly what the final look will be. I can't wait myself!

• Member Contributer

I got the projector headlight in and all seems good. It looks flat in the front and the headlight looks flush all around...

frontHL.JPG

...but as you can see from the below pics, the nose is now more rounded than the flatter stock headlight opening, both top to bottom and from side to side. Trying for a bulbous race nose from the 80's without it being like a basketball. The headlight is close to flush on the left side and recessed on the right, exactly what I wanted, kind of like the OKI RVF's. Had I just glassed the front flat it would have looked like an '86 GSXR750.

(Great help from my five year old!)

HL3.JPG

HL2.JPG

It sits a little close to the upper radiator but I think it will be fine. I made it so it will have some degree of fine adjustment for aiming. All stainless hardware. I made the tunnel out of fiberglass cloth and lots of resin. I used a piece of 1/2 inch MDF to act as a block to hold the bolt heads. It's light, sucks up resin nicely and I had a piece kicking around. I attached it with a thick epoxy resin paste and covered it with fiberglass cloth to secure it to the fairing. It's pretty strong.

HL8.JPG

...and it is bright. I couldn't take a picture directly in front, too bright for the camera. This is off to the side.

HL5.JPG

I still need to do some body work on the upper to smooth things out but she's starting to look pretty tough.

HL6.JPG

I think she's lost 50lbs visually. Wish it was actual lbs.

HL7.JPG

Archived