Time To Rebuild The VF1000R...IT LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kel

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
That's true. I haven't heard good things about the Silverstars but a good bulb might do the trick. Even though the upper fairing is large, it all tapers down to the headlight opening. The RC30, RC45, NC30 and other race fairings have a wider section that flares out into what I call "hand fairings", the area right in front of the handle bars. Lots of room for any size light. I'm working with the basic twin light footprint of the R. A 7" is too big, a 5.75 might be as well but a 4.5 single is to small to put out the light I think I'm going to need. I have found some cool lights on line but some are 400-700 bucks, just to rich for my blood. I don't mind getting a less inexpensive housing as long as I can maybe "beef" it up to something usable.

Single NC35/RVF400 headlight and housing...

• Member Contributer
Geez, must be the wheel that`s throwing me, or that I had mine out mulling it over.....or too many paint fumes.....

I still think yours is from a 91-93. I seem to recall David Nelson using one on his and wondering why my 96 arm was so complicated.

I added aluminum to the back of the cush drive then machined the sprocket mounting points down to get the sprocket closer to the wheel.

I'm voting paint fumes. The '96 had the 5.0 rim, correct? I would be surprised if Honda would retool for a different arm but anythings possible. A funny side note, the hawk arm is beefier in some places than the 750 arm I have by many mm's. They might have over built it in the early stages and then backed off for later productions? Could also be that the hawk arm is split at the pivot points where the 750 encircles the shock?

• Member Contributer

The 96 had the 5.0 rim yes. Guess I`d have to see them side by side to see if there really was any difference. Interesting about the Hawk arm. I`d still like to get a RC30/45 arm...

• Member Contributer
The 96 had the 5.0 rim yes. Guess I`d have to see them side by side to see if there really was any difference. Interesting about the Hawk arm. I`d still like to get a RC30/45 arm...

My kF street fighter will get the Hawk arm. No linkage so I'll have to get the right shock. People who are going with no link customs are using Ducati 900ss shocks for some reason. I had a chance to grab a 30 arm but just don't want to deal with no cush drive on the street, not the kind of miles that I can do.

• Member Contributer

If you run across another shoot me the info, I`m thinking of building another R down the road, after the Kat, and the 1000F/R are done of course...

• Member Contributer

I did an initial trim of the tail, under the tank. I may take a bit off the top to reveal more of the frame member. I wont' know for sure till I bolt it in nice and firm. It's a race piece so it's not OEM in the fitment department but...

FSCN2028.JPG

Looks better than this...

gallery_13847_3747_98457.jpg

side.jpg

An early shot of the placement of the cans. I think I may draw them back in a bit, again, won't know for sure till the holes are all drilled. Then fill in where the brake light was cut in, something similar to the kR's brake light holes, it worked well before. They are at a steeper angle than they were in the stock tail.

DSCN2027.JPG

Oh by the way, I'm in the running for the messiest barn.

• Member Contributer

Do you how hard it is to put the sandblaster to a perfectly fine RC30 wheel? Now it's raw and ready for the powder coating.

gallery_13847_3747_79683.jpg

DSCN2036.JPG

Do you how hard it is to put the sandblaster to a perfectly fine RC30 wheel? Now it's raw and ready for the powder coating.

Just think, you just made it a little lighter! :blush:

• Member Contributer
So it`s a 18" then?

Aren't all RC30 rears 18"?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
How are you making out Kel?

Well. It's difficult to type with tears in my eyes but I'll try. I just found out today that my trusty machining connection is afraid to do my small pieces because they're wheel related and he doesn't want the liability. I spent 2 days in the shop and all I have to show for it is the early beginnings of an exhaust. I've got the rears coming out to the start of a 2-1. I'm making my own so it's very time consuming. I've got a bunch of bends but getting the angles right takes some patience. I could have built a Sudco copy in half the time but this one has to go around the shock and above the swingarm then snake up and end at one of the cans. The fronts won't be bad. There's almost too much to do. Some times I got out in the shop and find myself at a loss as to what to do since so many things are interconnected and you can't do "this" until "that" gets done. I haven't missed a summer of riding in 28 years, even with my clutch hand in a cast( log splitter...don't ask) so it will get done, just don't know when. Catskills ride maybe.

Here are the bends I bought, $42 shipped.

1287_2.JPG

• Member Contributer

Are they stainless? I`m excited to see you working on your own exhaust, one day I`d like to do that.

• Member Contributer
Are they stainless? I`m excited to see you working on your own exhaust, one day I`d like to do that.

Not stainless. I don't have the means to weld stainless. It's 1.5" aluminized steel. I thought the hard part was going to be making the flange that fits into the exhaust port but I cut the ends off an old stock system and they fit right inside with some gentle tapping. I did weld it but my Sudco just uses springs to hold in the tips so I guess I could have skipped that step. I'm trying really hard to do everything myself on this rebuild. I know sometimes you should know when to say when but working on it myself really makes it mine. The mandrel bends are nice, you just have to plan out the bends carefully so you don't have a sharp edge where two dissimilar angles meet. As you know, cutting pipe on any angle other than square will produce an ellipse. That's fine as long as you have a corresponding angle to match it. Fun, Fun. It's going to get exhaust wrapped, mainly cause I like the look but you really won't even see much of it. Man, a pipe bender would be great.

• Member Contributer
There's almost too much to do. Some times I got out in the shop and find myself at a loss as to what to do since so many things are interconnected and you can't do "this" until "that" gets done.

Man, I hear you. I run into the same thing myself at times. What a weird feeling to be so far from finished but "not have anything to do." I'm sure it will come along nicely for you.

There's almost too much to do. Some times I got out in the shop and find myself at a loss as to what to do since so many things are interconnected and you can't do "this" until "that" gets done.

I know that feeling all too well. :beer: Welding stainless isn't much different from mild steel. If you're using a MIG or wire feed welder, you just need a different spool of wire.

I just finished boxing up my Vance&Hines headers, they are going off to stuntninja from customfighters.com. He manages a Midas in SC, he's going to make the front section from 1 piece of stainless, and he said he could section the rear bend with no more than 5 pieces. He's going to ship me back all the pieces so I can tig them up myself.

As the fighter boys would say, D f'in W!! :goofy:

• Member Contributer

They do love their "Do Work" over there don't they. Here's a shot of my buddy's Hindle. 2 pieces to get the rear bend. I'll tell you, I could make this pipe with the bends I bought no problem. you're doing (2) 2-1's, correct?

Holeshot.JPG

Hey Kel if you want I can give you the number of a friend whose a machinist here in Manchester small shop goodguy and he might not be scared to do it for ya :goofy: On the off time he makes parts for V-max bikes ( his ride ) and bits for me and the Vfr..

• Member Contributer
Hey Kel if you want I can give you the number of a friend whose a machinist here in Manchester small shop goodguy and he might not be scared to do it for ya :goofy: On the off time he makes parts for V-max bikes ( his ride ) and bits for me and the Vfr..

Hey stranger. That would be great.

Hey Kel if you want I can give you the number of a friend whose a machinist here in Manchester small shop goodguy and he might not be scared to do it for ya :laugh: On the off time he makes parts for V-max bikes ( his ride ) and bits for me and the Vfr..

His name and number have been pm'd. Chatted with him today and his response about the milling is well he has to ride on the wheels!

• Member Contributer
Hey Kel if you want I can give you the number of a friend whose a machinist here in Manchester small shop goodguy and he might not be scared to do it for ya :laugh: On the off time he makes parts for V-max bikes ( his ride ) and bits for me and the Vfr..

His name and number have been pm'd. Chatted with him today and his response about the milling is well he has to ride on the wheels!

I've also got a great CNC guy. If there is anything I can help with just let me know.

Archived