Time To Rebuild The VF1000R...IT LIVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kel

• Member Contributer

Love what you are doing, GO MAN GO. As for not missing riding for 28 years, how about getting a second bike? You can get a 90's for under a $1,000.

ps I love the fuel tank. More photos please!!!

gallery_8868_4233_26619.jpg

Stephen

PCH12.jpg

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Thanks Stephen. You wouldn't want to lend out that beautiful V45 would you? The sad part is, I have 2 other bikes in the same state of dis assembly. If I had other wheels, it would only take away from wrenching. It sounds lame but my R is the only girl for me and while she's down, I can't think of anything else but getting her back on her feet.

BTW, that sunset shot is one of my favorite months on the VF calendar. :laugh:

• Member Contributer
As for not missing riding for 28 years, how about getting a second bike? You can get a 90's for under a $1,000.

Blasphemy!!! Oh right, I have new bikes too....... nevermind.

As for not missing riding for 28 years, how about getting a second bike? You can get a 90's for under a $1,000.

Blasphemy!!! Oh right, I have new bikes too....... nevermind.

I was in the same mode!!! Just couldn't help myself, and picked up a late model... I am having a blast in the canyons!!!!

BTW, nice work!! Keep it up!!

• Member Contributer
Thanks Stephen. You wouldn't want to lend out that beautiful V45 would you? The sad part is, I have 2 other bikes in the same state of dis assembly. If I had other wheels, it would only take away from wrenching. It sounds lame but my R is the only girl for me and while she's down, I can't think of anything else but getting her back on her feet.

BTW, that sunset shot is one of my favorite months on the VF calendar. :biggrin:

Y Thank you smile.gif

Come on down and you can ride it.

And were is the photos LOL

Why did you change tanks?? And why the VF750 tank?

Out of all the bikes out there yours is the one I want to ride the most. (did I say that out loud, don't tell no one)

Stephen

• Member Contributer
Y Thank you smile.gif

Come on down and you can ride it.

And were is the photos LOL

Why did you change tanks?? And why the VF750 tank?

Out of all the bikes out there yours is the one I want to ride the most. (did I say that out loud, don't tell no one)

Stephen

I went with the 750 tank because it looks like the Euro kR tank, pretty flat on top, plus it works better visually with the RC45 tail than the US stock tank, IMO.

When she's done, a day swap would be cool with me, I bought a V45 in '83(red of course) and would love to get behind the bars of another. I sold it to buy my R.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer
How are you making out w/ the exhaust Kel?

I just finished up the last of the welding. I just need to do some finish grinding to knock down some of my very rookie welds. I came to the realization that neither of the two sections will fit in my old oven to bake the Ceracote. My rims will fit but the pipes won't. Soooo...I now have to make an oven for it. Awesome huh? I need 500 degrees for one hour. Should be interesting. I may end up guttting the kitchen oven and using the elements for a custom cement board oven and see if I can avoid 220v's through the body. On a brighter note, I got my wheel hub back from the machinist and it came out awesome. Man do I need a mill! The RC30 wheel is now happily married to the hawk spindle and it fits nicely in the VFR arm. I test mounted the hawk rear master cylinder{same as the R's} and reservoir. My stock R res was a little too close to the new pipe routing so I opted for the Hawk's. It's small and gets mounted high up and out of sight. Because the RC45 tail has rather pronounced side "bulges", there's room to mount lots of stuff outboard of the frame. The pipes take up all under seat room, either physically or thermally so this will be a bonus. I may even use a stock kF radiator overflow bottle as a crank puck bottle, then no worries on a crank filter and spooge from that. I'm looking into a newer 600 rad overflow bottle mounted in the upper somewhere. They're pretty small and narrow. I should even have room for a fuel pump. I know some have run without them but I want a fuel filter plus one stuck float and it's gas in the pan. Anyway, thanks for asking, I can see the light but it's awfully dim.

• Member Contributer

Here's what I'm going to do, easier than a whole new oven. Allows the use of the ovens thermostat. Makes total sense to me. I only need a few more feet.

PregnantOven.jpg

• Member Contributer
If you go vertical, you can hang the pipes.

Yes but limited to just the bottom element. Out front allows both elements and no rewiring of a themostat. The door will help hold the box plus I can still easily use it for small items in the stock oven with the box removed.

• Member Contributer

I like that idea. You can just add the extension when you need it. Consider adding some rods or hooks to the inside top of the oven and extension and you could still hang your pipes.

Keep the burners on top to keep your coffee warm...

• Member Contributer

Necessity is the mother of invention! Some would say that you guys are nuts (I think we all are to some degree) but I think it's very creative. Sort of like using an old dishwasher as a parts cleaner.

Sort of like using an old dishwasher as a parts cleaner.

Funny you mention that, one of our work areas that manufactures tip caps for Sikorsky heli blades utilizes a household dishwasher to remove lubricant from the forming process. :blink:

• Member Contributer
Necessity is the mother of invention! Some would say that you guys are nuts (I think we all are to some degree) but I think it's very creative. Sort of like using an old dishwasher as a parts cleaner.

My saying has always been...Poverty is the mother of invention!

• Member Contributer
Funny you mention that, one of our work areas that manufactures tip caps for Sikorsky heli blades utilizes a household dishwasher to remove lubricant from the forming process. :blink:

You might be surprised how many manufacturing places use diswashers for this same purpose. At a place that makes industrial shock aborsorbers they have a whole row of them running all day. It's kind of funny looking too because they aren't under a counter or anything.

My saying has always been...Poverty is the mother of invention!

I hear you on that one!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

While waiting for some parts to trickle in I decided to tackle my ugly plastics.

The piece that makes up the gap between the fairing and the frame has gotten faded and scratched. I've tried plastic paint, WD-40, P-jelly, etc. Nothing worked for long. The scratches were bad so they had to go. A quick sanding to get things ready.

I picked up some carbon fiber and some epoxy.
carbon5.JPG

This was definitely NOT the piece to practice on, lots of different angles and planes. The cloth was reluctant to lay down without wrinkles but it finally did. There are some questionable spots but it was my first go so... I'd say I'm pleased. It definitely has depth and it's clear it's not a sticker. It looks way better than before.
carbon3.JPG
carbon1.JPG

I think I'll run an inner fender so I dug out an old dusty one from the rafters. This will not do, faded and scratched. Yep, carbon!
carbon2.JPG
carbon4.JPG

The back of the fender is pretty irregular so I'll just clean it up as best as I can and leave it. You can't see it once mounted any way. Now to start on the tank mod.

• Member Contributer

I was thinking about getting the fairing piece made from carbon....now I like your idea! Now that you`ve practiced, mine next ok?

• Member Contributer

Man that is HOT!!!!! :wheel: I need to ride over there so you can give me some classes on body work.

Keep the photos coming (please)

Stephen

• Member Contributer
While waiting for some parts to trickle in I decided to tackle my ugly plastics.

Awesome! :wheel:

I've got the CF and epoxy, just not the motivation to tackle this, looks great.

Great idea!!! Now every bike part I look at is going to be shouting 'I'd look better in CF!' :wheel:

So, did you just lay the CF cloth over the old pieces, and brush the epoxy on?

If so, does it make it a bit thick in places ?

Oh - it looks good, by the way! :wheel:

• Member Contributer

So, did you just lay the CF cloth over the old pieces, and brush the epoxy on?

If so, does it make it a bit thick in places ?

Oh - it looks good, by the way! :wheel:

The first step is to brush on a thin layer of epoxy and let it sit till it gets tacky. This is where I could have waited longer. I was afraid that it would harden too quickly but this West system is great. Let it get good and sticky then lay the cloth. I should have done it in one big piece but I was trying to minimize waste so I pre-cut two smaller pieces. I had to really stretch the material in some places to cover, you don't want to do this because those beautiful rows if weaving get all skewed.( I guess it makes it look more race fab'd than factory accessory wink.gif ) Next time it's one big piece! I didn't get too concerned with trimming excess till after the epoxy layers were hard. When the first coat was hard, I sanded with 80 grit to knock down any resin or high spots. You've got to be careful not to dig into the fibers, I did chasing after a lump, it will show, not bad but it will show. Then 150 grit, you want to get rid of as much of the shine as you can. You'll think you've ruined it but fear not. I applied a second coat of resin. It really starts to pop with this step. Then sand again but with finer grits. Now I trimmed off all excess and sanded the edges. Finally a few coats of a UV protective clearcoat. Now you can leave it shiny or wet sand it with 1500 and wax it for a more industrial look. If I have enough left over I'm going to do the inside of the upper fairing. You definitely can see this from the cockpit and I think it would look nice. Give the impression the whole fairing is carbon. There is carbon fiber/kevlar hybrid cloth that you could use as well but the kevlar has a different color to it but I like the all dark look.

Archived