Gen 5.5 Concept

Peto

• Member Contributer

Tossing some ideas around.

Interceptor.jpg

I'm kinda diggin it. Looks lighter, more aggressive, modern, but still has that sweet devil look of the 5th... I always loved the nose on it.

Big fan of solid colors. I was really leaning towards an all dark gray, maybe a charcoal or gunmetal, with some black accents here and there. But, I'm starting to think about that wine color, maybe a few shades darker though, would be really nice as well....

• Member Contributer

I think that VFR looks best in all one color, so I will vote for the deep metallic. Otherwise, looks to be a good project :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Not bad, my opinion is the sixth gen stuff has hard angular lines and the fifth gen much softer. Not to say it doesn't work though.

• Member Contributer
Not bad, my opinion is the sixth gen stuff has hard angular lines and the fifth gen much softer. Not to say it doesn't work though.

Agree. I can't reconcile the 6th gen fender with 5th gen nose.

I vote gunmetal for the color.....would love to see that....with gold rims!! OK that might be too far but I think it might look good....

Yeah i agree a little darker would look better, as far as the dumbos glassing them and doin the trunsignal gsx mirror thing would be the ticket..but on the cheap and easy just smoked out dumbos would do the trick..IMO

• Member Contributer

I'm not going to skimp on the turnsignals. However, I don't want little blue dots or whatever. I want good, bright, turn signals. Just a little less obtrusive when not in use. Hmmm....maybe I can mold my bodywork to accept the sixth gens....

Getting closer to the color I want. Check this one:

Interceptor_char-1.jpg

• Member Contributer
Hey, can anybody look at this schematic and tell me what I'll need to mount aftermarket cans on the sixth subframe. I'm assuming I don't need the main heat shields....

It looks like two of: 35, 28, 29, 38, 39. Anything else? Does an aftermaret exhaust come with the heel heat shield (8)?

I think I am going to have to get the exhaust connected up front first, then create adapters to position the subframe so that the holes for bolt 35 (see schematic) line up....

I think you're not thinking this completely through. First, aftermarket systems will come with all hardware to bolt up to the subframe included. Secondly, most (all?) of them use external clamps around the cans that can be position anywhere on the can so for/aft alignment concerns are a non-issue.

My 2 cents? You're leaving the worst part of the 5gen attached: the upper and side fairings. (ducking and running)

My 2 cents? You're leaving the worst part of the 5gen attached: the upper and side fairings. (ducking and running)

*crouches & dives* Over here man, this way! I got your 6! :biggrin:

:pissed:

• Member Contributer

See, and here I was thinking an RC45 replica front setup along with the stock 5th gen RC46 tail, but with an under-tail exhaust conversion would be the best. Or something else that utilizes a single exhaust can under the tail. There's just something I really like about the dual round headlights of the RC30 & RC45, along with other bikes like that, which really does it for me.

And paint the thing R157 when it's all done.

*crouches & dives* Over here man, this way! I got your 6! :laugh:

:ph34r:

you uncouth, non artistic, droll, blind, straight line loving Philistines. :fing02: :cool: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed: :pissed:

• Member Contributer
I think you're not thinking this completely through. First, aftermarket systems will come with all hardware to bolt up to the subframe included. Secondly, most (all?) of them use external clamps around the cans that can be position anywhere on the can so for/aft alignment concerns are a non-issue.

Thanks Foto. That was really good information to get. That will make things easier.

Hahaha. I respect your 2 cents but have to disagree. I really like the upper fairing on the fifth, always did. Wouldn't change it for too many out there.

You need to jack that tail up another inch or two.

It's the same distance between the tire and the exhaust as a stock 6th.... what are you saying angle it up higher?

Yeah, I was thinking the tail should at least be level with the tank.

• Member Contributer

It's funny, I did this same photoshop mockup back in '04, before I even owned a VFR. I've always thought the tail on the 5th-gen looks a bit bloated (to say the least), but I put mine on enough of a diet by removing the extra garbage that it doesn't bother me nearly as much anymore.

I say go for it. I'd love to see the end result.

• Member Contributer

First, thanks for all the encouragement fellas. :fing02:

AB-Oz, The whole shabang boss. Factory look plus the hard bags. The only thing I don't like is that the 6th gen sargents are one piece. Anybody that knows me, knows I stash everything, including the kitchen sink, under my 'empty' cowl.

toro1, You have a gorgeous bike bro. I love that one picture of your bike under the parking lot lights which was taken from about the 2 o'clock position. I think I am going to have to do something different with those engine guard bars I have shown, as I think it will interfere with the supercharger kit. I definitely want to do something for highway pegs, maybe at the same time shield the SC pulley's from a rightside spill...if, of course, I buy the thing from ya.

SEBSPEED, You have officially scared me. Damn dude, you have an amazing eye for detail. I knew a guy like you who could drive by a house and later tell you the dimensions of everything within inches. Check out this screenshot:

DeadeyeSeb.jpg

You were right on. However, as you can see above the fifth tail is much lower (almost squat) than the top of the tank. But I hear you on adjusting the angle a bit to match the sixth, which is dead even. So, I tweaked it a bit:

Interceptor_char_rev.jpg

I also decided to ditch the engine bars for now because of possible sc interference... Not sure what I'm going to do here.. Gotta think. If I really go fancy, I could build some kind of bracket inside by the headers and secure the telescoping pegs and actuators...This way they pop out of a small hole in the fairing about 5"-6". That would be real cool.

I am starting to like this thing a lot. BUT, realistically, as Fotomoto knows, anything looks good on the computer, in reality though, doing this modification will take mucho effort to make it seemless. For example, check out the frame below the front of the seat, it's not real. Its some kind of computer mold I created of a 5th and 6th frame. In reality, the 5th frame is big here and wraps up inside the tail, and the 5th has no place to mount the lower tubes of the subframe. Same as the seat. That is not a 5th or 6th gen seat, its a computer combination. Not to say I can't do these things, but its not so simple to do it right and create something truly cool.

Much better! +1.gif

Now, to complete the look, could you pull the very bottom of the upper fairing forward just a tad, making it more pointy, and - oh - wait... :fing02:

+1.gif :wub:

You can weld mounts for the 6th gen subframe right onto the frame, don't worry about that.

Worry about designing the attachment pieces and not spending all your money doing it...

• Member Contributer

While we're screwing around..... What about going with a 6th gen frame? Its stiffer anyway and would work better with a fork upgrade anyway. Will a 5th body go on a 6th frame? Curious foole minds would like to know..... smile.gif

MD

Archived