Gen 5.5 Concept

Peto

The 5th Gen turn signals look bad. There's a "De-Dumboing" howto by PaPP. You could then add the GSXR-type turn signal/Mirrors to get them up where cagers can see them from both front and side

• Member Contributer
mello dude, I can't believe you just said that. I was just looking at a schematic of both frames. I noticed how the similar they seem from the main weld forward. Appearances can be deceiving though. I am not sure even the vast knowledge of VFRD can tell us for sure how similar the frames really are...

I was even thinking that maybe, just maybe, I could break that main weld and re-weld the the 6th gen rear most part of the frame onto the fifth...

I dopnt know how the distances would work out though, plus the shock upper mount, and the tank.. and I think the rear sets... maybe other stuff two...hmmm

Plus my welding experience is minimal at best, I would have to get some skilled help for this, or at least be supervised by someone if I attempted it..

hmmmm.....

Well - I'm at least fairly sure the engine mounts are identical, and not sure about the tanks. Confession - I would love to build a bike around the 6th frame and 5th engine.

MD

mello dude, I can't believe you just said that. I was just looking at a schematic of both frames. I noticed how the similar they seem from the main weld forward. Appearances can be deceiving though. I am not sure even the vast knowledge of VFRD can tell us for sure how similar the frames really are...

I was even thinking that maybe, just maybe, I could break that main weld and re-weld the the 6th gen rear most part of the frame onto the fifth...

I dopnt know how the distances would work out though, plus the shock upper mount, and the tank.. and I think the rear sets... maybe other stuff two...hmmm

Plus my welding experience is minimal at best, I would have to get some skilled help for this, or at least be supervised by someone if I attempted it..

hmmmm.....

may i suggest you start with a rear ended 5th gen?

• Member Contributer
may i suggest you start with a rear ended 5th gen?

....before I seperate the frame on my perfectly good bike? :fing02:

• Member Contributer
well, lookie lookie

seems like a really good deal....

Something to play with for cheap - if you get the thing - weigh it vs the 5th gen part.

--- My thing on the 6th frame is that its a better component than the 5th frame, stiffer structually

and would better performing. (Although incrementaly.)

Especially if you think about throwing on a torocharger.

MD

• Member Contributer
well, lookie lookie

seems like a really good deal....

Something to play with for cheap - if you get the thing - weigh it vs the 5th gen part.

--- My thing on the 6th frame is that its a better component than the 5th frame, stiffer structually

and would better performing. (Although incrementaly.)

Especially if you think about throwing on a torocharger.

MD

Peto - -- check this out, the guy is parting out a 6th gen. If I wasnt out of work right now I would be knocking on his door. Yeah its on the other site.

Good luck.

http://vfrworld.com/forums/buying-selling/...halt-black.html

MD

• Member Contributer

Thanks for that link mello. There is already interest from a 4th genner (whose Avatar is KILLING me btw (just like KeystoneVFR's old one, I hated seeing that UPS chick)), on the complete tail, so I may be to late, but I sent the guy a message anyway...

dang fotomoto and his 4th gen buddies always getting to the 6th gen rear ends before me. :fing02:

Don't chop up your frame. Really, come on now.

A guy in England has put a 5th gen motor in a VTEC. veefer800canuck posted a link a while back to his thread on the UK VFR forum. I read most of it, and while it was a long painful ordeal for him, he did get it completed.

• Member Contributer

Splitting the frame was just a thought.

I think that a complete 6th gen frame is far beyond what I am trying to do here. Gotta try to keep this as simple as possible and just make adapters to mount the thing. Then work on the seat depending on how it fits. Then clean up the way it all fits together the best I can. KISS it. (keep it simple stupid)

Peto, I'll make you an offer.

Buy my F4i. That'll give me the cash I need to order the Smithy I've been wanting. Once it's here, I'll make your adapters for you.

Whaddya say?

• Member Contributer
Peto, I'll make you an offer.

Buy my F4i. That'll give me the cash I need to order the Smithy I've been wanting. Once it's here, I'll make your adapters for you.

Whaddya say?

Gee, what a pal.

How about I buy the Smithy and you can come over and help me make what I need and then make whatever you want.

Whadda you say?

Remember the house I mentioned to you in the Fall? I am like 90% sure it's finally going to come through. 2 or 3 weeks and I'll know for sure. If it works out I will have a nice place to offer. Huge garage, couple rooms, big deck, lakefront, and right smack in the middle of good roads... grillin' and wrenchin' ridin' and smilin' - The only way to live.

• Member Contributer

Are you trying to say my State smells? I know... I know... the dirty state...I probably have like 4 kinds of cancer they haven't even heard of yet... You do get used to it though.. :blush:

Thanks.

• Member Contributer

Update.

Well, I took the plunge. If you check the "lookie lookie" eBay link above you will see that I purchased the complete fender/subframe off the 06. Plus, I worked something out with the guy from vfrworld (thanks again, mello dude) and purchased the stock seat and the tail light. Funny thing is, I have a perfect 98 tail light I bought from Lobster I have yet to put on my bike.... Ah well, I'll have a nice bunch of goodies to sell once I finish this project.

Just need grabrails and rear sets now. Plus a zorst. Anbody think of anything I am missing?

Update.

Well, I took the plunge. If you check the "lookie lookie" eBay link above you will see that I purchased the complete fender/subframe off the 06. Plus, I worked something out with the guy from vfrworld (thanks again, mello dude) and purchased the stock seat and the tail light. Funny thing is, I have a perfect 98 tail light I bought from Lobster I have yet to put on my bike.... Ah well, I'll have a nice bunch of goodies to sell once I finish this project.

Just need grabrails and rear sets now. Plus a zorst. Anbody think of anything I am missing?

didnt somebody just post that they were looking to buy a 5th gen tail lite?

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=50063

• Member Contributer
Tossing some ideas around.

Interceptor.jpg

I'm kinda diggin it. Looks lighter, more aggressive, modern, but still has that sweet devil look of the 5th... I always loved the nose on it.

Big fan of solid colors. I was really leaning towards an all dark gray, maybe a charcoal or gunmetal, with some black accents here and there. But, I'm starting to think about that wine color, maybe a few shades darker though, would be really nice as well....

Love it!

• Member Contributer
I think you're not thinking this completely through. First, aftermarket systems will come with all hardware to bolt up to the subframe included. Secondly, most (all?) of them use external clamps around the cans that can be position anywhere on the can so for/aft alignment concerns are a non-issue.

Thanks Foto. That was really good information to get. That will make things easier.

I see what you mean about the external muffler clamps being completely adjustable. However, I think I will still have a fore/aft alignment restriction due to the non-adjustable mounting bracket at the bend above the heel heat shield. Check out this link:

Leo Vince

It's 4 am....I should probably get some :blush:

Don't chop up your frame. Really, come on now.

A guy in England has put a 5th gen motor in a VTEC. veefer800canuck posted a link a while back to his thread on the UK VFR forum. I read most of it, and while it was a long painful ordeal for him, he did get it completed.

Would You happen to have that link to the build?

• 5 months later...

Interceptor.jpg

Love it!

+1 Steve, that looks awesome! - you retain the sweet look of the 5th gen yet managed

to "modernize" the rear of the bike. The proportions look alot more balanced w/ the 6th

gen tail/exhaust system and the transition really "cleans" up the overall look of the bike,

plus it shows off the rear wheel. As someone has already said, the 5th gen tail does look

a bit "bloated". It's not really UGLY but the 6th gen looks much better. Regarding a color,

I'd go with an OEM Honda color that many people love: "Titanium" gray that's on the 2000

Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird. It's a deep metallic gray but not quite as dark as charcoal.

My '00 Blackbird was "Titanium" and I was continuously getting compliments on the color,

even from people who knew nothing about motorcycles. Keep us updated. I love it. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

I've been really slacking fellas, I know. All the parts are collecting dust on my floor. My bike isn't too "wind swept" either. I absolutely will get this mod done and post up the progress/results. Got a lot on my plate right now.

oldgeezer: Is this the titanium color?

pic

• Member Contributer

Interceptor.jpg

Love it!

+1 Steve, that looks awesome! - you retain the sweet look of the 5th gen yet managed

to "modernize" the rear of the bike. The proportions look alot more balanced w/ the 6th

gen tail/exhaust system and the transition really "cleans" up the overall look of the bike,

plus it shows off the rear wheel. As someone has already said, the 5th gen tail does look

a bit "bloated". It's not really UGLY but the 6th gen looks much better. Regarding a color,

I'd go with an OEM Honda color that many people love: "Titanium" gray that's on the 2000

Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird. It's a deep metallic gray but not quite as dark as charcoal.

My '00 Blackbird was "Titanium" and I was continuously getting compliments on the color,

even from people who knew nothing about motorcycles. Keep us updated. I love it. :biggrin:

Does it look something like this? The "official" color of this 675 is Graphite. I've seen more than one in person and always thought it looked really cool. This picture doesn't do it justice.

Graphite675.jpg

Archived