Dragon Picks And Bites

img_5709.jpg

Here are some pics from my recent trip to Deal's Gap. Left on Monday July 14th. After a trip down the cherohola skyway and getting a motel room it was off for a down and back on the dragon

IMG_0204.jpg

IMG_0205.jpg

IMG_0206.jpg

No photos form killboy that day as it was late in the evening. All in all 542 miles the first day.

On tuesday it was time to ride the dragon a few times before making my way to my sister's house in S. Carolina.

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0211.jpg

the one pic killboy got. (at least there are sparks)

img_5709.jpg

When I was turning around between the second and third run there were two deer on the edge of the road. I slowed way down and had no trouble from them. Then on the third run I was going through a right hander in fourth gear beween 5k and 6k dragging peg like I had all morning. The next thing I know the bike is sliding away from me and I'm on the ground. I see the bike disappear over the side of the road and I slide to a stop on the blacktop. My tankbag and saddle bags are laying on the road having been ripped off. I check my clothes. No blood. I had armored summer pants and an armored jacket along with a full face helmet, gloves, and boots on. My right leg on the pants are shreaded. The plastic panel over the knee is scraped to hell. Right side of jacket is tore up and helmet bounced off the ground.

IMG_0212.jpg

Hard to tell from pic but bike is about 75 feet down the side of hill.

IMG_0216.jpg

After about 2 hours the wrecker got there. I had to repel down on the wrecker line to hook the bike up to pull it up.

IMG_0217.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

this is a shot of the corner. Wish I had taken more pics but my mind really wasn't on taking pics.

IMG_0213.jpg

The bike is heavily damaged. Every piece of plastic is shot. The front fairing is shoved back into the handlebars. The tank bounced off a tree. If there is a lession to be learned it is PROTECTIVE CLOTHING HAS ITS PLACE. Yeah it may be hot and not as comfortable but it saved my ass. I walked away with four spots of road rash on my right calf. One on my right elbow and two on my right wrist. After getting to my sister's I got a flight back home on friday.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW....glad you made it out alive, with minor damage (to your physical self anyways)...... :fing02:

Weird seeing the bike laid over like that in the woods.....looks like a poor, wounded animal.

Great shots otherwise...what a beautiful part of the country. I miss water and trees and scenery like that...(sometimes... +1.gif)

• Member Contributer

Ouch!

So sad to see it lying down like that.

Glad to hear you came out relatively unscathed. The bike can be repaired.

• Member Contributer

Aw man, I hate it for Ya'...nice looking bike (before). I recognize all the places in your pics including "THE" curve. At least you didn't get hurt, that's the main thing................. :fing02:

• Member Contributer
Glad you had the gear on and ok :fing02: any idea what made it slide out???

It sounds like he was scraping the pegs too much and lifted up his rear tire.

• Member Contributer

Sounds like the bike levered. As it was a right hander, glad you didn't hit oncoming traffic. . ..

How'd you get the bike home? :fing02:

Looked like a great trip up to that point!

Very glad you didn't get messed up, it's very easy there depending on what or it you hit something or it hits you! :fing02:

The bike looks to be an easy fix, let us know if we can help in any way as there's many members in the area.

The Ins. Co. will most likely total it, but ask about keeping it and fix it yourself and pocket some money or use it on mods. +1.gif

• Member Contributer

plastic and metal is always cheaper and less painfull to replace than skin and bone.....

Good thing is, you now now where the edge is....

glad you are ok.

• Member Contributer

Was enjoying the write up until the bush shot :fing02: I remember that corner from my trip down there last June. Glad your ok, bike maybe not so lucky.

+slight down hill angle, I assume he was north bound.... 4th gear at 6k??? ?? 60-+mph??

Your lucky you didnt go off the side with the bike..

• Member Contributer

Dude you are one "cool" customer to have the mindset to take pictures after an incident like that.

• Member Contributer

+slight down hill angle, I assume he was north bound.... 4th gear at 6k??? ?? 60-+mph??

Your lucky you didnt go off the side with the bike..

"border-line" off-camber in the center of that one traveling north................. :unsure:

And you were looking so good in the Killboy shot. As I was scrolling down, I'm thinking "this dude can ride" and then the next picture is of a wounded yellow animal lying in the woods.

Got to give you credit for having the balls to post your f-ups along with your good stuff.

Changing the subject slightly: The pic of the dam in the 4th picture. Supposedly that's the dam Harrison Ford (or his stunt double) jumped off of in "The Fugitive"

To my knowledge, there have been three movies filmed on the Gap or the general area.

1. Thunder Road

2. Nell

3. The Fugitive

Anyone know of any others?

Wow, that bites. Good thing you didn't get hurt. I just had a flashback as I've seen a yellow 5th gen in the woods like that before - actually it was a creek, thankfully it wasn't me, although I have been down and know your pain.

Good luck healing up & let us know how things work out with your ins. company.

So sorry to hear that... I was enjoying your trip until I saw the bike all forlorn in the woods...

You are one very lucky individual and may the fact you were wearing all that gear serve a greater purpose than just saving YOUR skin. Take note guys and gals, WEAR GEAR!!

I would have taken photos as well... I tend to photodocument everything these days... well... except... ehem... :unsure:

Use your insurance to the maximum potential...

I'm likely in the minority opinion here, and I'm sure I'll get flamed for saying this, but if you're in 4th gear at 6k rpm dragging pegs through those turns then you deserve what you got. In fact you got off lucky. Very lucky. I ride this road all the time and am amazed at the stuff I see. I'm all for "spirited" riding, but this road seems to bring out absolutely crazy behavior. A helmet and the best gear won't help you when you hit a tree. Anyway, I'm glad you're ok.

• Member Contributer
well... except... ehem... :unsure:

I wanna' see some "ehem"................... :fing02:

I'm likely in the minority opinion here, and I'm sure I'll get flamed for saying this, but if you're in 4th gear at 6k rpm dragging pegs through those turns then you deserve what you got. In fact you got off lucky. Very lucky. I ride this road all the time and am amazed at the stuff I see. I'm all for "spirited" riding, but this road seems to bring out absolutely crazy behavior. A helmet and the best gear won't help you when you hit a tree. Anyway, I'm glad you're ok.

The truth may hurt... but if he's anything like me, he'll now be going through the being-hard-on-himself phase. At least I hope he's rethought things at least a little... although it can happen to anyone anytime... he seemed rather surprised at the fact the bike fell, but when you're really scraping as long as he claims to have been all day, you must be fairly conscious of the risk you're taking... lucky no-one else was hurt. I came off last Christmas and wasn't even pushing it. Similar damage to the bike but worse off physically. I wouldn't be so harsh on the bugger right now. Not flaming by any means, just speaking out loud.

6k rpm in fourth. I run the gap in second and third. I would have to be fltyng to pull 4th gear at 6k rpm.

Glad your ok. I was enjoying, until................

nice pics....been there done that, didn't like it any more than you :unsure:

like others said, dont be to hard on yourself. chalk it up to an inexpensive lesson....really.......heal fast :fing02:

Nah we wont flame you.............

But it sounds like some "Local" riders might have inspired him but didnt tell him everything...

1.. That isnt the best asphalt for street tires.. I think those are ST tires on his bike ?? corect??

2...Most of the locals who run that road on a "Regular" basis run on "Race tires" And love for outsiders to try n keep up..

3... He most likely heard them talking about running that road at 60mph, Which they do some evenings after the crowds leave..

Please pardon me if im wrong on any of these assumptions.. Some are Actual facts..

I hope the bike is a easy fix for you...

60 is totally possible. I've done it myself quit a few times when the traffic was very low.

I followed 4 race bikes thru and was able to stay with them on the vfr.

I hope your bike is an easy fix. It looks to be. Build it back better than it was. Good luck.

Glad you are ok and not bent up.

Archived