Dragon Picks And Bites

But it sounds like some "Local" riders might have inspired him but didnt tell him everything...

1.. That isnt the best asphalt for street tires.. I think those are ST tires on his bike ?? corect??

2...Most of the locals who run that road on a "Regular" basis run on "Race tires" And love for outsiders to try n keep up..

3... He most likely heard them talking about running that road at 60mph, Which they do some evenings after the crowds leave..

Those look like ST tires.

Some of the local guys there do run DOTs (a few slicks). If I am hanging out there doing strafing runs, I drop down to about 28f/20r. There is a free air compressor at the store, by the gas pumps.

Seems like Bridg BT020 on the bike, not the best option for fast cornering I think.

Anyway glad to hear you ore ok, as other sade bikes can be fixed far more easaly!

Mayby a set of grippy sport rubber next time.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2. Are you running a stock shock with the stock spring? Get a spring/shock combo designed for your weight - jack up the ass end of the VFR about an inch or so. If you drag the pegs then, you need to give Jeremy and BaileyRock riding lessons. The only times I've seen anyone regularly grind pegs on a VFR is with a stock shock setup, stock chassis geometry, and the peg feelers left on. You're shooting sparks in the killboy pics. That tells me your peg feelers were dragging. The footpegs themselves are aluminum and won't emit sparks.

Heed what this guy (Pete McCrary) says.

The 5th gen VFR has long feelers on the pegs for a reason. Depending on the tire you have, with a stock setup, if you lean much beyond where the feelers touch down, you're getting to the edge of the tire.

So raise the rear with an aftermarket shock .. and you can lean further before you touch down. But then you'll be right on the edge of the tire.

Consider that if you wear down the feelers, you'll be able to lean over even more, potentially going over the edge of the tire. There ain't a whole lotta grip there.

Last summer I was getting some track training and having a blast leaning off the bike, enjoying the Penske rear shock (and GPsuspension forks). I would occasinally touch down the feelers when hanging off, but not every time.

There I was, hanging off a right-hand corner I've taken a bazillion times that day already, not scraping anything, so I figure I have lots of tire left. As I accelerate (smoothly and nothing excessive) I feel the rear tire slip, and instead of hooking up again (as it usually does) I'm on my back, following the viffer, also on it's side.

In the aftermath, I look at the road for debris / oil but don't see anything. But when I get it all home, I look at the rear tire - left side, 1/8 inch safety strip (you guys might call these "chicken strips"), right side, the entire tire is used. Let side footpeg, about half the feeler is left. Right side ... no feeler, and 1/2 inch of the peg itself is worn off.

My conclusion, is that I simply leaned the bike further than there was tire to use. This was possible due to having the penske raise the bike a bit, and perhaps an inch or more of feeler not being there to tell me I'm getting close to the edge.

You may very well have exceeded the lean angle on your tire as well.

$hit happens.

We live, we learn. I'm sure you'll re-think your attack plan next time you're on the Dragon.

And I'm sure there will be a next time. wink.gif

Nice action shots though, the yellow machine takes a good pic. :lurk:

Or.....it took a good pic, sorry dude.

Here's my ex if it makes you feel any better :ph34r:

gallery_7079_2026_43343.jpg

17.Aug.06 2000 VFR-A 036small.JPG

gallery_7079_2026_79819.jpg

VFR meets Tow Truck

How much would they let you buy your bike back for, if I may ask?

The only times I've seen anyone regularly grind pegs on a VFR is with a stock shock setup, stock chassis geometry, and the peg feelers left on.

I have an Ohlins out back(no ride height adjust), stiffer springs up front, tubes raised 7mm over stock, and drag peg on both sides(to be fair, I left the feeler on the left side).

Do I win a prize? :ph34r:

How much would they let you buy your bike back for, if I may ask?
The only times I've seen anyone regularly grind pegs on a VFR is with a stock shock setup, stock chassis geometry, and the peg feelers left on.

I have an Ohlins out back(no ride height adjust), stiffer springs up front, tubes raised 7mm over stock, and drag peg on both sides(to be fair, I left the feeler on the left side).

Do I win a prize? :biggrin:

On the left side?? May I ask why?

• Member Contributer

Seen my first yellow Viffer in person last weekend. I was surprised how nice it looked. Sorry for your loss dude. She took a damn fine picture though. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer
Any word on your bike yet?

Its official bike is totaled. I can drive down and pick it up (about $400 in fuel) plus buy the bike from them. Think i'll just hold on and stick with the shadow for now until i find something i want

A lot of people have speculated why you went down....why do YOU think you went down?

You were there, nobody else here was and your thoughts would be appreciated. A lot of us run the Dragon, so maybe we could benefit from your thoughts.... :biggrin:

• Member Contributer
Sorry about your accident, glad to hear you're ok. I've ridden the dragon a few times myself but considering it's public road and having sooo many variables that may come into play, I've refrained from pushing so hard that bike parts are scraping the road on a (regular) basis.

While we're on the subject of the dragon and speed, and hopefully not to take too much away from your thread, what is a respectable time from the bottom to the top?

Record holder right now has it in 9:45 I believe. Many local riders are running around 10:30. I'm consistently running 12:00 but having a hard time getting below 12:00. Maybe I should ride more than once a month. By the time you are running in the 13-14 minute range you will probably only be passed by locals.

I guess I just don't get the whole Gap phenomenon. It's not a racetrack, and it's pretty well been ruined by fame, traffic and cops, hasn't it? And why on earth would anyone try to "compete" there on a VFR? Can you understand why I'd question the logic?

Also, not to rub salt in the wound, but to get a VFR around that corner at 55+ mph, it would be best to drag a puck and not a peg. Pilot Powers would be a great help too. I'm juuuuust sayin'... :biggrin:

• Member Contributer
Good to hear that you are ok, that's all that matters. What kind of armor were you wearing?

When it comes to Protective Gear I always include under armor underwear . That thin stuff that runners wear in cold weather. I believe it gives you several more layers of skin...

I wiped out on my mountain bike one time going real fast and skid along a gravel road wearing this under armor underwear and my arm scraped hard along the road. I had NO skin abrasions what so ever? not even the under armor underwear was damaged. I swear by that stuff as "Protective Gear"

Archived