Dragon Picks And Bites

Sorry about your accident, glad to hear you're ok. I've ridden the dragon a few times myself but considering it's public road and having sooo many variables that may come into play, I've refrained from pushing so hard that bike parts are scraping the road on a (regular) basis.

While we're on the subject of the dragon and speed, and hopefully not to take too much away from your thread, what is a respectable time from the bottom to the top?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
But it sounds like some "Local" riders might have inspired him but didnt tell him everything...

1.. That isnt the best asphalt for street tires.. I think those are ST tires on his bike ?? corect??

2...Most of the locals who run that road on a "Regular" basis run on "Race tires" And love for outsiders to try n keep up..

3... He most likely heard them talking about running that road at 60mph, Which they do some evenings after the crowds leave..

Those look like ST tires.

Some of the local guys there do run DOTs (a few slicks). If I am hanging out there doing strafing runs, I drop down to about 28f/20r. There is a free air compressor at the store, by the gas pumps.

• Member Contributer

"60"......if we're talking corner speeds here, then, man that's flying on that road, especially haulin' luggage, and street tires........... :fing02: Probably on my best, "WILDEST" day 50 mighta' been "touched" on a coupla' corners...most more like in the 20 to 40 MPH range tops. Short straights on "THOSE" days maybe 60, possible 70 in a coupla' spots, but that's about all the "LUCK" I want to lean on there.....and trying to refrain from "THOSE' days lately............. :biggrin:

I'm likely in the minority opinion here, and I'm sure I'll get flamed for saying this, but if you're in 4th gear at 6k rpm dragging pegs through those turns then you deserve what you got. In fact you got off lucky. Very lucky. I ride this road all the time and am amazed at the stuff I see. I'm all for "spirited" riding, but this road seems to bring out absolutely crazy behavior. A helmet and the best gear won't help you when you hit a tree. Anyway, I'm glad you're ok.

I totally agree I got off easy. It was early on a Tuesday. When I got to the overlook near the North end there wasn't another bike there so that should tell you how empty the road was. I wasn't riding with anyone in fact I set next to the road for 5 or 6 minutes before a car came by. Looking back I'm VERY glad no one was coming South.

Sorry about your accident, glad to hear you're ok. I've ridden the dragon a few times myself but considering it's public road and having sooo many variables that may come into play, I've refrained from pushing so hard that bike parts are scraping the road on a (regular) basis.

While we're on the subject of the dragon and speed, and hopefully not to take too much away from your thread, what is a respectable time from the bottom to the top?

Record holder right now has it in 9:45 I believe. Many local riders are running around 10:30. I'm consistently running 12:00 but having a hard time getting below 12:00. Maybe I should ride more than once a month. By the time you are running in the 13-14 minute range you will probably only be passed by locals.

• Member Contributer

I'd say let the insurance have it. Take the money and get another bike of your dreams. I hung on to my CBX for years after spending money on plastics that wouldn't fit anymore etc... Never did fix it. Sold it for a song. Glad you are alright. Take a track day and put it behind you. Lessons learned. You look like you are a hell of a good rider. Track day may uncover what ever fault may have lead to you wreck. My .o2

So glad you survived with only minor injuries. Too bad about the bike, though, being the fastest color and all. :fing02:

If you dragged some hard parts (peg or center stand) and levered up the rear wheel, it wouldn't make any difference what kind of tire was mounted back there.

It's been over ten years since I last rode the dragon, but have some very fond memories of those great twisties. First place I ever encountered a semi-tankslapper, which scared the crap out of me. Helped to teach me a valuable lesson about being smooth, or not.

Now that I've achieved fossilhood, I am a bit more cautious about when and where I explore my personal limits. And a place such as the dragon isn't one of them.

Hope you have learned from this very close call and reach a ripe old age, while still enjoying the ride.

• Member Contributer

Are those peg feelers I see? Take those things off.

You said it was a right turn - check your header pipe on the right side for scratches in 2 directions. If you lowsided by levering your tire off on the right side, it would be from the header. You will see scratches in one direction from being dragged on the ground while upright, and scratches in another direction as it rotated and lowsided.

If this is the case, you should work on your body position to decrease your lean angle, increase your ride height, slow down, or all of the above.

• Member Contributer
Are those peg feelers I see? Take those things off.

You said it was a right turn - check your header pipe on the right side for scratches in 2 directions. If you lowsided by levering your tire off on the right side, it would be from the header. You will see scratches in one direction from being dragged on the ground while upright, and scratches in another direction as it rotated and lowsided.

If this is the case, you should work on your body position to decrease your lean angle, increase your ride height, slow down, or all of the above.

DITTO all of the above...... :fing02:

• Member Contributer
Glad you had the gear on and ok :fing02: any idea what made it slide out???

It sounds like he was scraping the pegs too much and lifted up his rear tire.

+slight down hill angle, I assume he was north bound.... 4th gear at 6k??? ?? 60-+mph??

Your lucky you didnt go off the side with the bike..

isnt the speed limite 30-35 , sucks that you fell and thank god you walked away from it, allthe time you see stories about guys going over with the bike or hitting a car , that road is to twisty and populated to go that fast, i didnt enjoy going faster then 45 in my sport car. also looks like the bike is able to be repaired thank god for that too.

• Member Contributer
Glad you had the gear on and ok :fing02: any idea what made it slide out???

It sounds like he was scraping the pegs too much and lifted up his rear tire.

+slight down hill angle, I assume he was north bound.... 4th gear at 6k??? ?? 60-+mph??

Your lucky you didnt go off the side with the bike..

isnt the speed limite 30-35 , sucks that you fell and thank god you walked away from it, allthe time you see stories about guys going over with the bike or hitting a car , that road is to twisty and populated to go that fast, i didnt enjoy going faster then 45 in my sport car. also looks like the bike is able to be repaired thank god for that too.

That's the "posted speed", but everyone tosses that out by about the 2nd curve............. :unsure:

In 1971 it was hard to even do 35 on it. The forest had grown about 2' over the edges on both sides, potholes, broken pavement (no telling how old), tree limbs, leaves, lotsa' critters (not all, but most get scared off now up in the day). You just sorta' stayed in the middle of the road, peeped around the turns, and very seldom ever saw another vehicle there at all. Times have definetly changed there.............. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Glad you're ok and that it wasn't your time! Great pictures up to that point! :unsure:

6k rpm in fourth. I run the gap in second and third. I would have to be fltyng to pull 4th gear at 6k rpm.

I've been through several times, and typically loaf through in 3rd gear to keep it quiet. I might drop to 2nd for the really tight right-handers on the way down.

If you dragged some hard parts (peg or center stand) and levered up the rear wheel, it wouldn't make any difference what kind of tire was mounted back there.

I've ridden there on sporty street tires and ST tires and had nary a slide--even when FlaminV4 and I were scooting through in the rain. It's about body position and sane speeds.

Multiple ditto's there!

Sorry to hear... it sux dismounting your bike without being able to put the kickstand down. Hope you are able to recoup the $ from your bike. Glad to hear you are ok. All gear, all the time!

FWIW... the other pics are gorgeous and it looks like it was an opportune day to be down there. Each time I've been, there's been nonstop traffic (weekends).

• Member Contributer
Sorry to hear... it sux dismounting your bike without being able to put the kickstand down. Hope you are able to recoup the $ from your bike. Glad to hear you are ok. All gear, all the time!

FWIW... the other pics are gorgeous and it looks like it was an opportune day to be down there. Each time I've been, there's been nonstop traffic (weekends).

Except in the Winter months.....through the week is much better, unless you wanna' sit at the store, watch bikes, and meet people (we do this on occasion also).......... :unsure:

plastic and metal is always cheaper and less painfull to replace than skin and bone.....

Good thing is, you now know where the edge is....

glad you are ok.

%201.gif

Any word on your bike yet?

Its official bike is totaled. I can drive down and pick it up (about $400 in fuel) plus buy the bike from them. Think i'll just hold on and stick with the shadow for now until i find something i want

My 2¢ on his crash:

1. Dragging the pegs in a right hander shouldn't cause you to go down (assuming you have stock, folding footpegs).

2. Are you running a stock shock with the stock spring? Get a spring/shock combo designed for your weight - jack up the ass end of the VFR about an inch or so. If you drag the pegs then, you need to give Jeremy and BaileyRock riding lessons. The only times I've seen anyone regularly grind pegs on a VFR is with a stock shock setup, stock chassis geometry, and the peg feelers left on. You're shooting sparks in the killboy pics. That tells me your peg feelers were dragging. The footpegs themselves are aluminum and won't emit sparks.

You walked away to ride another day. Learn from it. Don't let it F with your head.

hello, I am sorry for the incident, however, as they say, the bike will adjust, the important thing is that you are physically well.

Ah, man that sux. I've got a yellow viffer, hate to see such a pretty bike wounded. Glad you're OK. Don't let the negative comments get you down, they were'nt there. Glad you're OK.

You walked away to ride another day. Learn from it. Don't let it F with your head.

Definitely... unless you've gone down before (and even if...), you'll probably be pretty slow and cautious in those right handers - possibly to the point of being a little shaky the first couple of rides.... feel the bike out again and let it flow. Don't know any real advise other than to remain confident in the cycle and work on form/technique.

Archived