5 Gen Or 6 Gen Vfr, Looking To Buy Not Bash!

Old School

5th gen all valves working all the time... 6th gen vtec under 6,000 rpm has half the valves operating, why would you put 16 valves in a mototr and not have them all operating all the time? sounds like a conspiracy by Honda.

5th gen is lighter, Gear driven cams , easier / cheaper to adjust valves , and is more sport oriented..

Vtec's switch to 4 valves is at 7k not 6K on the 02-05 and at 6400 on 06-up.

I don't know where you get "more sport oriented" either as the 6th gen has a better chassis, brakes & suspension. :laugh:

Any Gen VFR would be a great bike. :laugh:

6 or 7 grand on the tach, one should not have to wait for this or that to start working... Why is Vtec even on the VFR as it has no real purpose.. The 98-01 models from what I hear get better gas mileage than the Vtec models, and you do not have to wait until 7,000 rpm to get horse power..

Ah the gen bashing threads. What has the 6th gen crowd ever done to the 5th gen crowd? More importantly do you ever hear the 6th gen crowd bashing the 5th gen crowd? Let's face it things had to change. The 6th gen is quieter, more composed (better suspension), and more refined(better bodywork, guages, hard luggage.)

Don't get me wrong, I have ridden both, but I know that the 5th gen I rode made less torque down low (dyno proven I'll have to look for the sheet, and I am not talking about the advertisment from honda), same peak horsepower, and got worse gas mileage (40 vs 45).

EITHER bike is a GREAT motorcycle. Either one is a VFR, not a VF. It takes more than gear driven cams to make it an R. You can't go wrong either way. As far as the cons for the 6th gen: exhaust will cost you more, and I hear the valve check is expensive but have yet to see proof ( I will be finding out soon enough.) Like they said before, ride them both see which one you like you really can't go wrong either way. Just make sure if your buying used to check out the bike before hand. There are online buying guides for motorcycles.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Just buy the one you like the looks of more and that can get the best deal on. Enough! They're all good bikes...even the pre-5th gen ones!

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

Somebody told me the 6th Gens were only for the OLD guys! :goofy:

I am sorry but to me Vtec and chain driven cams should not be on any VFR model , maybe Honda should have called it the Vtec VF800F.. since the first 1986 VFR 750 , the cams have been gear driven and the VFR has been a sport oriented machine and then Honda came up with the lame idea of " hey lets put chain driven cams in it and call it an all new model and add vtec even though it will serve no real purpose and we can charge more old technology as vtec is untested in motorcycles...

You must be a real cam gear motorhead, cause you over look all the improvements, with lighting ,electrical ,beefier suspension, brakes.

Ten years ago I'd say this was big news, but starting to get long in the tooth, time to accept and move on.

other wise , you'll never be able to buy another bike , cause it wont have your gears.

oh and the high pipes, no messing with pipe for rear wheel removal, that alone should be worth a few cam gears

• Member Contributer
Agree completely. Ride one of each, buy the one that feels better to you because both are great bikes!
What about those of us who can't decide and have one of each?????!!!!!!!!! :biggrin:

I was in that fix for a while.

I sold the 2002 and kept the 2000.

Problem solved.

Ride both. Buy the one that you think is best for you and the way you ride.

My reasons for picking the 2000 are purely subjective and mean nothing to anyone but me.

Anyone who tells you that one is really better than the other has his/her own subjective reasons.

It is going to be your bike. Decide for yourself.

Then you know who to blame if you regret the decision.

:goofy:

• Member Contributer

I have a 5th gen and love the bike. I do weekend rides (every day is a weekend for me) and multi day tours.

My OEM seat was good for one long day.........after that death! With a Sargent I am good for a week. Stock riding position works for me but I do a lot of bicycling in the same riding position.

To me the 6th gen just feels like a........................................well like a VFR! Weight, horsepower, handling are really similar to my 5th gen in real world riding - not significant in statistical terms. Vtec does not bother me...........no real help but no problem either.

If I was going to be doing a lot of touring, I would get a 6th gen otherwise get the best deal or whatever looks the best.

They are all GOOD!!!!!!!!!! GREAT!!!!!!!!!!

2613342530099738507S600x600Q85.jpg

• Member Contributer

I think the original poster signed off after the second or third bash.

Most of us have our oppinion as to which is better because that is the one we ride. To be truthful only he can figure which is better for him.

I think any one of us if we only could have one bike would be happy with any sweet looking good riding VFR.

Just be happy He is wanting a VFR.

To trash one version of the VFR is childish. It's a 2 wheeled vehicle that gets you from here to wherever.

The fun is in having one and enjoying riding or moding it to your content.

To read some of the previous posts is sickning. It makes me wish I had my 954 back and could tell you all to stick whatever version of VFR you like.

But I as well as many of you like the VFR as the bike of choice cause it is a better all around bike.

If your still reading hope you get the one right for you. After 62k miles and a couple of rebuilds I know I did.

vince

• Member Contributer
I think the original poster signed off after the second or third bash.

Most of us have our oppinion as to which is better because that is the one we ride. To be truthful only he can figure which is better for him.

I think any one of us if we only could have one bike would be happy with any sweet looking good riding VFR.

Just be happy He is wanting a VFR.

To trash one version of the VFR is childish. It's a 2 wheeled vehicle that gets you from here to wherever.

The fun is in having one and enjoying riding or moding it to your content.

To read some of the previous posts is sickning. It makes me wish I had my 954 back and could tell you all to stick whatever version of VFR you like.

But I as well as many of you like the VFR as the bike of choice cause it is a better all around bike.

If your still reading hope you get the one right for you. After 62k miles and a couple of rebuilds I know I did.

vince

I only read one person who had a non-positive comment about the VTEC and lots and lots of posts about why VTEC isn't a problem. Where's the bashing? The VTEC doth protest too much, methinks.... :unsure:

I think the 6th gen looks better but I do like the style of my 5th gen. You might find more deals on cleaner bikes with the 6th gen due to the age of the 5th'ers these days. Let us know what you end up with. (I'm thinking a Triumph...) :biggrin:

Somebody told me the 6th Gens were only for the OLD guys! :biggrin:

Thats funny. I heard that all VFRs are for OLD guys. :unsure:

• Member Contributer

Why can t we all just get along? :biggrin:

I really did not like the price of the Used 6th gens when I bought mine.

I bought a Sargent after one long trip, and a Staintune cuz grear drivien cams sound like a freaking RC car.

IF I had a 6th Gen, I would do the same mods.

If and When the 7th Gen comes out, I would do the same mods again.

Unless I decide to by a R1200gs first.

• Member Contributer

My comment was not meant as a bash, per se..........just playin' around. At least you "old" guys can actually afford the sixth gens (maybe I'm a little jealous)!

• Member Contributer

I met a 6th gen rider at the gas station while in my truck. I asked him about the VTEC kick-in and whether it bothered him. He replied that no, rather it was kind of like a turbo boost. He really liked it. He is a new recruit, having come from cruiser-ville, so he's not really used to high revs.

I really like my bike ('01), but if I were to buy now, I would go new. Even wait a bit to see if there will be a 7???

• Member Contributer
To trash one version of the VFR is childish.

Yeah, all VFR's are good................

except the ghey blue ones.

:goofy: :biggrin: :biggrin:

vince

Buy a 5th Gen. End of story. The post below sums it up. The 6th Gen is not a "real" VFR. Gotta have gear driven cams.

IG

Ok, this is a no brainer....the 5th Gen is the better :goofy: We have the gear driven cams :biggrin: That also means valve adjustments are cheaper and easier. From what I have read on this board the V-tech valve adjustment is expensive but you will have to do a search on that topic. I have even read that some people have had to chance there CCT already! This was the same thing I had to replace on my 2001 F4i, I thought by now Honda would make one that is bullet proof! Ok rant over... :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

All bikes have positives/negatives and problems. I like the yellow 5th gen 2000 model, I prefer gear driven vs timing chain. That being said I prefer the styling of the 6th gen, its futuristic, I get lots of compliments on my bike. Both IMO are 'BEST BUYS' as far as motorcycles go, a perfect one (5th or 6th) can be purchased for a little bit of cash $$$$$ ($4500-$6500) and parts are easily available. As a 6th gen owner leaving my bike in a freeway ditch overnight because of melted wiring, that was bad news but Honda did come through on the wiring harness recall....now at 18,000 miles my CCTs are really noisy and this is disappointing..its something I will deal with (welcome any help my way) but I bought the bike 3 years ago in mint condition for $6200 so if I have to spend a bit now thats part of motorcycling, its flat-out money intensive...buy some tires/gear/farkles/etc ie. I dont know why VTEC gets bashed as I love its sound out riding cross-country and passing, the CCT set up seems not so great to me, still looking back VFRs ****ALL TYPES***are the best deal and do everything well IMO, my advice buy both, set up one with luggage/helis/ST tires and the other one stripped down for twisties. I would like to ride a 5th gen, it being a VFR, would be a great bet as a fine machine to me. ITS ALL GOOD!!! thanks Doug

Also IMO seems like only a really silly person would be critical of any model THEY DONT EVEN OWN !! I must say I am NOT qualified to tell you which one is this or that until BOTH models are in my garage. A real VFR rider would have the ENTIRE collection, all years/all gens in the garage...thats a person to listen to.

• 1 month later...

All good...

I have been looking at, and or wanting a VFR of some type since the first VFR750 came out way back....Before that I wanted an Interceptor500! Hot... :fing02:

I think any of the VFR's are great all around Motorcycles. Each has its merit over the other. What other model of Motorcycle has continually gotten praise for its ablity and greatness over the years.

I purchased a 6th generation because

1. it has cool mufflers :fing02: somewhat stupid but I could care less. I love the undertail mufflers :goofy:

2. it will still look up to date in five years

3. it has abs brakes

4. its a VFR :wheel:

5. my used bike is all farkled up!!!

Now I just need some more time to go ride!

• Member Contributer
All good...

I have been looking at, and or wanting a VFR of some type since the first VFR750 came out way back....Before that I wanted an Interceptor500! Hot... :fing02:

I think any of the VFR's are great all around Motorcycles. Each has its merit over the other. What other model of Motorcycle has continually gotten praise for its ablity and greatness over the years.

I purchased a 6th generation because

1. it has cool mufflers :fing02: somewhat stupid but I could care less. I love the undertail mufflers :goofy:

2. it will still look up to date in five years

3. it has abs brakes

4. its a VFR :wheel:

5. my used bike is all farkled up!!!

Now I just need some more time to go ride!

Congrats on your purchase. It looks just like Das Bone's old one.

Know Craig personally and he always took painstaking care of his bikes.

Glad you stuck around and bought a VFR instead of something else.

With the good weather you will get more rides in.

Up here in the northern states we look forward to spring.

vince

It is :fing02:

I bought it from him because it had everything I wanted, or would end up doing. It is a sweet ride. Looks like new still!

My buddy flew out and rode it back to Mississippi for me. He had a as he called it "epic trip!" Got it about ohhh four weeks sooner than if I paid truck line to get it..Worth the extra 2,000 miles on the clock :fing02:

He was great with me I bet I bugged the crap out of him for a week or two asking questions. I am pretty anal about stuff so one draw to his bike was how well maintained it was. I love it..

Its gonna be hard to paint it Yellow this winter since its in such good condition. But I love the yeller!!! Moon glow yellow VFR!!! Coming soon...........

Archived