5 Gen Or 6 Gen Vfr, Looking To Buy Not Bash!

Old School

• Member Contributer

I'm looking to buy a newerrrr bike and would like to know the difference between the 5th and 6th gen bikes?

- Which one has the most comfortable seat of them?

- Best handling of them in the twists

- Hp

- Weight

- Problems

- After market parts

Stephen

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm looking to buy a newerrrr bike and would like to know the difference between the 5th and 6th gen bikes?

- Which one has the most comfortable seat of them?

None of them! :unsure: Be prepared to get yerself a Sargent.

Hi Stephen,

May I suggest you use the search function to find most of the info your asking about as there's at least a dozen post on the subject, but dreadfully some of our members can not re frame from turning a thread like this into a Gen bashing thread. Hopefully it won't happen this time! :unsure:

Basics:

5th gen, the 98-99 models are considered one of the best VFR's ever and the engine is super smooth and linear in power delivery. Great bike overall and the last Gen w/gear driven cams.

Problems: R/R's

6th Gen, best chassis, larger forks, firmer suspension, improved brakes, factory saddle bags and ABS options. Heavier . 02 Vtec was "Best Street bike in the World" winner.

Vtec: can be a pro or con depending on your perception. :wheel:

Problems: Elec. harness problems which are covered for free under Recall, some bikes have surge issues and most likely caused from the super lean 08 emission mapping.

Does the expression "can of worms" mean anything to you? :unsure:

Just kidding. I haven't owned a 5th gen. but from my 6th gen. and from what I've learned on this forum:

-Stock seats on both bikes are alright, but if you're racking up the miles, go for an aftermarket seat. Sargent is the most popular for VFRs, tho some people swear by Corbins.

-Both bikes handle well in the twisties, with the 6th gen's ride being a bit more "refined" and perhaps more planted.

-hp is about the same on both bikes - and is usually in the high 90s.

-5th gen. weighs a bit less than the 6th gen., with ABS on the 6th gen. also adding 8-9 more lbs.

-Problems: '02-'05 6th gen's had a 2-3 recalls, depending on year. Some 5th and 6th gen's also had R/R issues.

-Great standard mods available for both bikes, but aftermarket exhaust is much cheaper and easier to install on a 5th gen. since you're only replacing one can and it's out in the open.

• Member Contributer
Does the expression "can of worms" mean anything to you? :goofy:

Just kidding. I haven't owned a 5th gen. but from my 6th gen. and from what I've learned on this forum:

-Stock seats on both bikes are alright, but if you're racking up the miles, go for an aftermarket seat. Sargent is the most popular for VFRs, tho some people swear by Corbins.

-Both bikes handle well in the twisties, with the 6th gen's ride being a bit more "refined" and perhaps more planted.

-hp is about the same on both bikes - and is usually in the high 90s.

-5th gen. weighs a bit less than the 6th gen., with ABS on the 6th gen. also adding 8-9 more lbs.

-Problems: '02-'05 6th gen's had a 2-3 recalls, depending on year. Some 5th and 6th gen's also had R/R issues.

-Great standard mods available for both bikes, but aftermarket exhaust is much cheaper and easier to install on a 5th gen. since you're only replacing one can and it's out in the open.

Y thank you vary much!! :fing02:

Stephen

I can only comment on the 5th gen, but I have had no major problems with mine. Some minor stuff, but nothing that has been unusual or expensive. I think the seat depends alot on how much you weigh as well as how much you ride. I have been on all day rides on the stock seat with little discomfort, but then I only weigh around 150. The handling is good on the 5th gen, but alot is dependant on the tires, and tire choice is dependant on what type of riding you do the most. As far as aftermarket parts go, just remember VFR's are not CBR600's or gixxer's. (lower number of bikes on the road = less aftermarket parts available).

5th gen all valves working all the time... 6th gen vtec under 6,000 rpm has half the valves operating, why would you put 16 valves in a mototr and not have them all operating all the time? sounds like a conspiracy by Honda.

5th gen is lighter, Gear driven cams , easier / cheaper to adjust valves , and is more sport oriented..

5th gen all valves working all the time... 6th gen vtec under 6,000 rpm has half the valves operating, why would you put 16 valves in a mototr and not have them all operating all the time? sounds like a conspiracy by Honda.

5th gen is lighter, Gear driven cams , easier / cheaper to adjust valves , and is more sport oriented..

Vtec's switch to 4 valves is at 7k not 6K on the 02-05 and at 6400 on 06-up.

I don't know where you get "more sport oriented" either as the 6th gen has a better chassis, brakes & suspension. :unsure:

Any Gen VFR would be a great bike. :fing02:

• Member Contributer

In my professional opinion, the 5th gen is better and 6th gen is better, gear-driven VTEC will blow your mind, 42-mm fork tubes were a real missed opportunity, a Bill Mayer seat with built-in catheter tube is prefered by 7 out of ten iron-butt urologists, and no matter which one you buy we'll have you convinced that it needs parts from eight other models and sixteen aftermarket suppliers before you put 1000 miles on the stocker.

So there you have it.

I don't know where you get "more sport oriented" either as the 6th gen has a better chassis, brakes & suspension. :unsure:

6 or 7 grand on the tach, one should not have to wait for this or that to start working... Why is Vtec even on the VFR as it has no real purpose.. The 98-01 models from what I hear get better gas mileage than the Vtec models, and you do not have to wait until 7,000 rpm to get horse power..

I am sorry but to me Vtec and chain driven cams should not be on any VFR model , maybe Honda should have called it the Vtec VF800F.. since the first 1986 VFR 750 , the cams have been gear driven and the VFR has been a sport oriented machine and then Honda came up with the lame idea of " hey lets put chain driven cams in it and call it an all new model and add vtec even though it will serve no real purpose and we can charge more old technology as vtec is untested in motorcycles...

6 or 7 grand on the tach, one should not have to wait for this or that to start working... Why is Vtec even on the VFR as it has no real purpose.. The 98-01 models from what I hear get better gas mileage than the Vtec models, and you do not have to wait until 7,000 rpm to get horse power..

Having put over 60k miles on my 02 Vtec, I have to ask you what your talking about? How many miles do you have on a Vtec? Have you owned one? :fing02: I don't have to wait for anything to happen and I spend most of my rippen 400 mile loops below Vtec as I don't need more then that to fly.

As usual hearsay is not what the guy is asking for! If you can't post w/o bashing a VFR(any gen) don't post IMO.

Can't you express how much you like your 5th gen w/o trashing the 6th gen? I just don't get this type of attitude??? :dry:

BTW I currently have both gens with over 80k combined miles.

I am sorry but to me Vtec and chain driven cams should not be on any VFR model , maybe Honda should have called it the Vtec VF800F.. since the first 1986 VFR 750 , the cams have been gear driven and the VFR has been a sport oriented machine and then Honda came up with the lame idea of " hey lets put chain driven cams in it and call it an all new model and add vtec even though it will serve no real purpose and we can charge more old technology as vtec is untested in motorcycles...

I agree to a certain level, Vtec as used on the VFR was certainly unnecessary and most likely was used to lower Noise levels and serves no other purpose. Has it hurt my enjoyment of my VFR? NO, none whatsoever. Why you need to try to exclude it's existence is a little closed minded IMO.

Would I be happy with the Vtecless 6th gen? Sure and the 5th gen has a very smooth engine w/o the complications, but you will also find that the majority of the 6th gen owners think their bikes are smooth as glass too.

I've spent less then $250 on maintenance items (outside normal wear & tear)over that greatly enjoyed 60k miles and I haven't even done one valve check yet.

Free your mind bro! tongue.gif

As a owner of the 6th Gen 02 with about 26k. It's a great ride. I ended up buying a Corbin seat. I owned one on my 750 Katana and that made a huge improvement. Compared to the stock seat it's like night and day. I can ride all day, Sargents are probably just as nice. The Stocker is adequate. Barely.

As for the VTEC it's not an issue. It's sure is fun cranking it up to get those other valves goin' but for an all day drive keeping it under the VTEC engagement keeps me riding over 200 miles. Once VTEC is engaged Gas mileage goes bub-BYE! but it's fun. Someone posted that the Recalls are free which is nice, I've had no issues with my 6th gen. I recommend it.

It's got hard bags, and all the power you need. I think the Gear drive in the 5th sounds great, but the 6th gen is just a little bit better due to the inclusion of the Hard bags, better forks. Plus it's a newer bike. I imagine getting a low mileage 5th gen is out of the question. Since VFR's last a long time.

Just my .2

Jim

oh yeah. sporty as hell. My 02 with M3's are sticky and I have no chicken strips on my rear tire.

• Member Contributer

Having actually owned and ridden two 6th Gen V-Tec VFRs (06 and 07), and put almost 20,000 miles together on the two, I really can't agree with this. Knowing as soon as this thread asked for a comparison, the 5th, 6th Gen sparring was gonna' start.

Most all of my local roads get ridden in lower gears and V-Tec engaged most of the time. Cruising down the 4-lanes in 5th or 6th is about the only time it isn't in use. I've ridden several older VFRs also, a couple for as long as a whole day, and 300+ miles. (IMO), the 6th Gens out handle, and out stop the older ones. Might as well get used to "V-Tec-Type" valve actuations, because Honda, along with other companies, are developing this technology for use on most everything. The automobile industry is following the same technology also. I never understand it when folks bring up "Chain drive cams" as being "non-sport oriented"......gear or chain drive either one is more than suitable for high performance applications............ :unsure:

• Member Contributer
Might as well get used to "V-Tec-Type" valve actuations, because Honda, along with other companies, are developing this technology for use on most everything.

I agree with everything you said except for this. I dare say no other motorcycle ever will use VTEC as it exists on the 6th gen, not because VTEC is "bad", but because variable-timing on both intake and exhaust cams is the next logical step. VTEC on the 6th gen, ironically, isn't variable timing at all :laugh: - it's an on/off switch for half the valvetrain. Advances made in air/fuel management make that particular type of control illogical in future applications.

As for whether 6th gen VTEC was a good idea at the time, I for one think it was a cool idea that works pretty well. Kudos to a major manufacturer for trying something "out of the box". But it's not without it's drawbacks... :laugh:

• Member Contributer
I can't believe it.......... yet another 5th gen. vs. 6th gen. VTEC thread...... :laugh:

AAAAAGGGGHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't worry folks, someday he'll stop holding back and express his true feelings. :laugh:

• Member Contributer

Sorry to be so vague, James.

I deleted the post right after you posted.

How many times do we have to shoot this horse?? :laugh:

I'd rather read an OIL thread!!!

• Member Contributer

Agree completely. Ride one of each, buy the one that feels better to you because both are great bikes!

Agree completely. Ride one of each, buy the one that feels better to you because both are great bikes!
What about those of us who can't decide and have one of each?????!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

• Member Contributer
Might as well get used to "V-Tec-Type" valve actuations, because Honda, along with other companies, are developing this technology for use on most everything.

I agree with everything you said except for this. I dare say no other motorcycle ever will use VTEC as it exists on the 6th gen, not because VTEC is "bad", but because variable-timing on both intake and exhaust cams is the next logical step. VTEC on the 6th gen, ironically, isn't variable timing at all :laugh: - it's an on/off switch for half the valvetrain. Advances made in air/fuel management make that particular type of control illogical in future applications.

As for whether 6th gen VTEC was a good idea at the time, I for one think it was a cool idea that works pretty well. Kudos to a major manufacturer for trying something "out of the box". But it's not without it's drawbacks... :laugh:

Agreed.....that's why I used the term "V-Tec TYPE" valve actuations. Variable valve timing and opening is coming.....horsepower, fuel economy.....best of both worlds.......... :laugh:

...and Bart...uh, I mean Bent, this is for you....."OIL"............. tongue.gif

• Member Contributer

The stock 6th gen seat is fine for a 230 lb guy riding 11 hours a day.

I don't care for the Sergent, or Corbin myself.

• Member Contributer
The stock 6th gen seat is fine for a 230 lb guy riding 11 hours a day.

I don't care for the Sergent, or Corbin myself.

I had a Sargent on my 06, but I had an upholstery shop cut me a "pocket" in my stocker this time......it's been working out great.............. :laugh:

• Member Contributer

my opinion...... 5th gen. My reason..... ride both and your choice will be obvious. I rode both and I just knew plain and simple. MY CHOICE WAS BASED ON WHAT I LIKE. You most likely need to do the same.

• Member Contributer
What about those of us who can't decide and have one of each?????!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

We're widely known as the Elite Fleet.... :laugh:

Archived