Ideas On How To "age" An Exhaust?

Guest VFRoj

:idea3:

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how to "age" an exhaust sooner...get the "broke in sound" sooner without having to wait for it?

It's seems to be a fact that exhaust with steel wool or fibers in them get deeper sounding over time, presumbly because some of the wool gets packed or matted with soot over time.

Think there would be a way to make this happen faster. Can anything be sprayed in them prior to install???

Mainly thinking of the Staintune and Remus systems. Don't really want louder, but deeper.

Thanks

• Member Contributer

Don't know about the Remus, but the Staintune uses stainless steel and does not age like most exhausts. However, they sound amazing from the first time you put them on.

Best way to "age" an exhaust is to ride. :P

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how to "age" an exhaust sooner...get the "broke in sound" sooner without having to wait for it?

It's seems to be a fact that exhaust with steel wool or fibers in them get deeper sounding over time, presumbly because some of the wool gets packed or matted with soot over time.

Think there would be a way to make this happen faster. Can anything be sprayed in them prior to install???

Mainly thinking of the Staintune and Remus systems. Don't really want louder, but deeper.

Thanks

I've never really heard a "broken-in-sound", only a worn out or blown out can. It could be just me, but I'm not a fan of that sound.

I think you are better off selecting a can that gives you the sound you want right out of the box. As was said, the Staintunes do a nice job of that from day one and no repacking needed.

• Member Contributer

Exhaust is basically a musical instrument, just like a flute.

I would just start poking holes in its side until I find the right sound.

WARNING! THIS MOD IS NOT REVERSIBLE NAD IS NOT RECOMMENDED FOR $700 + AFTERMARKET SYSTEMS :goofy:

Seriously though, what happens to packing material over time?

Does it shift to one side, does it become thinner from corrosion?

If you were to find out and replicate those conditions, I guess you would find what you are looking for.

However, I would second what Johnmark said and let it age from use :idea3:

Don't know about the Remus, but the Staintune uses stainless steel and does not age like most exhausts. However, they sound amazing from the first time you put them on.

Best way to "age" an exhaust is to ride. :P

I don't know about 6th gen Staintunes, but the high right system I have on my 95 seems to have mellowed in tone with age. I still remember the more raspy (some say tinny) sound it had when I first got it. It certainly sounds better now with a more mellow/lower tone. But thats after many years on the bike (since 97, maybe). I suspect that the steel wool eventually loads up with carbon and that tends to have the same effect as fiberglass packing matting down in other brand mufflers.

Beck

95 VFR

• Member Contributer

Riding the bike is just too simple of an answer. We have to have some controversy here to have a three page thread. Exhausts do change sounds over time. I've had at least four stock (temporarily) performance cars do this over time so I don't think it's just steel wool.

Since I don't know what causes the change, I say.....just ride the bike and enjoy the lack of racket. :idea3:

• Member Contributer

Thanks

Did you buy the exhaust for the sound :goofy:

Just thinking about it, carbon must pack in the steel wool of a Staintune or other steel wool packed muffler to cause the change in tone. Wouldn't another type of substance, packed around the fibers, cause the same effect?

Don't have the mufflers yet, just want to make sure they'll sound like a good "aged" set.

I just don't want to have to wait...

• Member Contributer

Not recommended:

3 or 4, 145 mph stints, will do it. But I didn't sat that.

• Member Contributer
Would that be extended stints at 145, or just running it up??? :thumbsup:

2-3min each. Like the time, I, my friend, outran Johnny law, and didn't even know it.

P.S. That avatar confuses me, with Windwalker's. LOL. P.M. me for one custom, to you, and your likings. (If'n you want.) **twing-twang**

Fill your gas tank to the brim, then let the bike idle in your driveway till the tank runs out. That should build up some carbon! Top speed runs will blow the stuff out!

By the way,

I'm NOT serious. :joystick:

• Member Contributer

Me ole poppa used ta say take a wizz in there that can o yors, that do the trick mighty fine, just git someun to start it up for ya as you be looking down the end of it.

• Member Contributer
I don't know about 6th gen Staintunes, but the high right system I have on my 95 seems to have mellowed in tone with age. I still remember the more raspy (some say tinny) sound it had when I first got it. It certainly sounds better now with a more mellow/lower tone. But thats after may years on the bike (since 97, maybe). I suspect that the steel wool eventually loads up with carbon and that tends to have the same effect as fiberglass packing matting down in other brand mufflers.

Beck

95 VFR

Maybe it's your eardrums that have mellowed :idea3: :salesman:

• Member Contributer
Just thinking about it, carbon must pack in the steel wool of a Staintune...

As was mentioned before Staintunes don't have packing, just stainless steel baffles. However, they sound great right out of the box. :thumbsup:

This is the best sounding VFR I've heard. It's a Staintune system. It has a great, deep rumble at idle, but has that really raspy, big-block on a jet-boat sound at higher RPMs (if you've heard one, you know what I mean)...

(you'll have to cut and paste the address; sorry, but I can't figure out how to attach anything yet... :joystick: )

All the other systems I've heard are those that are posted on YouTube, right after install, and they don't sound anything like these (even the ones with the spuds out).

What's the difference? Are the VFRs with the staintunes that don't sound as good brand new systems, and this this an older, "aged" system that's been up to 145 mph a few times? smile.gif

• Member Contributer

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/rddy/

Nice site.

Sorry, I don't have an answer for you. The sound difference may be where he took the clip. (Sounds like in a garage).

Wow...that is a nice site. All I had seen was the section on the "Project VFR", but didn't see all the other sections...thanks for the tip.

The Track Day page was very interesting...and the pipes sound good!

The more you ride, the more meliflous it will become. It's a Zen thing. There are no easy shortcuts. Only dedicated throttle twisting and serious burning of combustibles at warp speeds will lead you to the desired auralgasm you seek. <_<

• Member Contributer

I don't think I can top Melvis' mystical oration, however: From my life experiences with dirt bikes and four wheelers, most aftermarket exhuausts are filled with a fiberglass, ceramic or steel wool like mat which is wrapped around the silencer core. This internal matting deteriorates over time due to the heat of the exhaust gases and build-up and burning off of moisture created by the simple act of running the engine. If the Staintunes have internal baffles (like a Flowmaster) made of stainless they should not deteriorate. You can remove the wrapping and the sound will definately increase. I agree with the other posters who say "just ride".

• Member Contributer

Could always gut the Cat., before your cans show up. :salesman:

• Member Contributer
The more you ride, the more meliflous it will become. It's a Zen thing. There are no easy shortcuts. Only dedicated throttle twisting and serious burning of combustibles at warp speeds will lead you to the desired auralgasm you seek. <_<

Melvis, can you send me some of that stuff you are smoking? :pissed: Sounds like a lot of fun :thumbsup: and I can use some fun right about now.

Seriously, not only I learn a great deal about motorcycles, but cool new words as well :rolleyes:

Now, if I could only think of a sentence to use them in... :pissed:

Archived