Breaking Tire Bead

texdgl

I am getting ready to mount my new 021's on my 99 VFR. I just received my pair of 16" and 11" motion pro tire levers. I was getting ready to build the 2x4 bead breaker described in another post when I thought about c-clamps. Has anyone ever used a 6" or so c-clamp to break the bead on the old tire? I thought I would ask before I invest in a couple clamps.

I am getting ready to mount my new 021's on my 99 VFR. I just received my pair of 16" and 11" motion pro tire levers. I was getting ready to build the 2x4 bead breaker described in another post when I thought about c-clamps. Has anyone ever used a 6" or so c-clamp to break the bead on the old tire? I thought I would ask before I invest in a couple clamps.

Don't bother trying; it doesn't work as well as you think it would. I never got them to work ever. You're much better off building a bead breaker out of 2x4s. JM2¢.

• Member Contributer

Seems like it would be much faster and easier to use a lever than a clamp, even if you had a power tool to drive the clamp.

Where do ya live? I bought a bead breaker once and have never used it, I got a HF wheel changing stand instead. If yur close to Santa Cruz, let me know, you can have it........No, I'm not gonna ship it :blink:

Google it, there's a great clip with some English dude running over the tire to break the bead with his car, then uses a can of WD40 and a few pry bars and bingo he's done.

Kind of funny too! :thumbsup:

This isn't the one I'm talking about, but

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7...h&plindex=0

Google it, there's a great clip with some English dude running over the tire to break the bead with his car, then uses a can of WD40 and a few pry bars and bingo he's done.

Yup, I'm about as fond of that method as use'n gas inside a tire and a match to reset a bead.....But it works :blink:

• Member Contributer

:blink: That's exactly what I used to do on streetbikes in the past with bias-ply tires. The ones on the VFR have too short a sidewall and are too stiff to do it. I'd put a short section of 2x4 under the rim on the bottom to support it (and keep the brake rotors off the ground) and then carefully drive the front tire of my truck onto the tire. A couple of whacks with a rubber mallet broke it free. I must have done this dozens of times with never any problems or damage. It works great!

Keith

This might sound crazy, but I used the side stand when I was stranded in a Wal-Mart parking lot. I had to get the old tire off and the new tire on somehow. It actually worked great. You do need to put something like cardboard under the rim and be very, very careful not to knick the rim with the side stand (ask me how I know). You just use the weight of the bike (you might have to lean into it a bit) and carefully work your way around the rim. Remember to do both sides.

Good Luck,

-T

• Member Contributer

I used my car. Worked like a charm. Just put some cardboard uder the tire and place tire against the wall or something so that it doesn't push away.

• Member Contributer

I just use my tire machine, if you are around Tucson, stop by, I'll do it for you, but ya still gotta balance them, I havent got a machine for that,,, yet

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

I'd recommend just getting the Harbor Freight tire changer for $40, you don't need the motorcylce attachment. C-clamps are great to help spoon the tire back on.

Oops: I do use the rim holder portion of the motorcycle wheel attachment, I thought that was part of the basic kit. What the HF unit really does is save my back from having to bend over and change the tire on the floor.

• Member Contributer
I've used one of these a couple times.

z303409.jpg

Dutch I saw those at Harbor freight, they work pretty good?

When you're in a bind, yes. I wouldn't want to use one all the time though.

If you're shopping at HF just go ahead and get their tire mounter! :thumbsup:

I've used one of these a couple times.

z303409.jpg

Dutch I saw those at Harbor freight, they work pretty good?

When you're in a bind, yes. I wouldn't want to use one all the time though.

If you're shopping at HF just go ahead and get their tire mounter! :thumbsup:

i saw the tire changer today, its comes with way to break the bead? the whole thing 2 parts was a little over $100

after finding this video about a year ago, i built his break system and it works GREAT!! have changed a dozen tires with it and had no issues at all. definitely recommend this if you want to save money.

Another method - put motorcycle wheel on ground next to car on some 4x2" lengths, with a 12"long piece of 4x2" timber sitting vertically on tyre, then use a long piece of hardwood (I have an ironbark beam that's 5x3" x 8', weighs a ton) under the car body and on top of the 4x2". Push down and the bead will break.

I successfully used this method after both the car tyre trick and some big c-clamps failed to shift the bead off the rim.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

after finding this video about a year ago, i built his break system and it works GREAT!! have changed a dozen tires with it and had no issues at all. definitely recommend this if you want to save money.

Thanks to those above and also to chris2992!!, for the threads on tire changing/Dynabeads. I got a new set of Pirelli Dablos (from Motorcycle superstore under 220.00 to my door in three days), Built the bead breaker 2x4 & got them on today!(only took about three & 1/2 hoursby myself (next ones will be much quicker) :thumbsup: Looking forward to see what kind of life I can get out of this set. Last set I put on 10/14/06 32,167. to today 48,387. They still had some life in them but I got a flat on the rear. Now its back to the two wheeled commute, and more importantly use of the HOV Lane!

Thanks again to the above thread posters and VFRD

Gary

• Member Contributer
got them on today!(only took about three & 1/2 hoursby myself (next ones will be much quicker)

You will get much faster. My first tire change probably took 2 hours, now I it takes me longer to remove the wheels than it does to change the tires. Get a couple of clamps to keep the tire in the center of the rim (not in the bead) and you can install a tire with just your hands in about 30 seconds.

got them on today!(only took about three & 1/2 hoursby myself (next ones will be much quicker)

You will get much faster. My first tire change probably took 2 hours, now I it takes me longer to remove the wheels than it does to change the tires. Get a couple of clamps to keep the tire in the center of the rim (not in the bead) and you can install a tire with just your hands in about 30 seconds.

Maybe you can. I remember struggling with 3 tire irons and 4 hands on some tires. Especially the 190 rears :goofy:

Motorsport

Sexperts? :idea3: :goofy:

The trick for me is to use lots of soapy water when mounting and dismounting a tire. I change semi tires once in a while, and use slide hammer to break the bead on them. It also works great on bike tires as well. I'm sure a smaller one would be sufficiant on a bike. It won't damage your wheel as long as you place padding under the wheel. Just place the end of the hammer on the tire at the wheel, then lift the weight, then give it a quick push down. One good whack, then you're done. Break out the soapy water, tire tools and spoon her off. About 1 minute's work.

Archived