Wsb Assen In April 2007 And 2010

• Member Contributer

HPIM1615.jpg

Traditionally SBK at Assen is held in September, but 2007 it is at the end of April because there are plans to hold a Champ Car race
in september....
WTF! what's next? You guys bringing NASCAR to Holland? :rolleyes:

Hopefully this date change will not cause the event's audience to change. Lots of UK riders traditionally came over to support Foggy,
Toseland and ofcourse, Hodgson!

HPIM1696-1.jpg

One of our business partners had a VIP lounge, but no more.
So I guess I'll have to make my own breakfast on Sunday morning....

The "campsites" have been sanitized over the years (some of the bonfires in the past were a bit too much I guess and
Metallica/Techno/HipHop blaring all through the night calling for wearing earplugs in the sleeping bag is a bit silly..) but what the hey.
There will still be plenty of this:

th_HPIM1644.jpg

Linky

My pal Theo will ride his Aprilia 650 (he lusts after the new SL750 Shiver...) so between us we should be able to lug a tent,
sleeping bags
and whisky. Just the task of selecting which bottle I guess... :P

************************************************************************************

That was a brilliant race weekend, not only the 2 races for the World Superbike (Haga and Bayliss are GODS!!!! :thumbsup: ), but
also the Supersport 600 the Superstock 1000 and 600 races, the Suzuki 750 Cup and the ONK.

As mentioned above, "Assen" has changed over time and this year (have not been in 2 years) even more. Apart from the circuit getting
neutured, things have become more and more "civil".

Can you image drinking OJ? Scroll down at your own risk....

HPIM4348.jpg
What a sad sight....

At least ""lunch" was as per usual:

HPIM4352.jpg

Overnight accomodation was top notch (for the 4 hours one spends in it)

HPIM4300.jpg

I previously posted a picture of "Corona Girls at Assen", this year they were out in force as well, yummy as ever....

HPIM4291.jpg

Umbrella's were called for and as you can see, we dutch donot like an OTT silicone look.... :thumbsup:

HPIM4342.jpg

And the SS600 (40+ riders!!) at the end of the start finish
HPIM4354.jpg

Told ya there were 40+ so here are the rest..... :P

HPIM4355.jpg

But for the "Main Events" there is only one place to be......

ASSENGT-1.jpg
The "Geert Timmer" chicane.

I hope yous had a chance to see the races on TV; you'll know what I mean...
(having a large vidiwall in front enables you to watch all the action)

But for all the sun, fun and good times, there's one man who really wanted the double win on the day.
Having won race one, having fought an epic battle for the lead, Toseland coming
through GT ahead of Bayliss, loosing it by 0.009

You may win the silver, but you loose the gold....

headdown.jpg
Hanging head...

Well, for those of you that managed to scroll through thiis entire post, thank you for watching, hope you liked it. :thumbsup:

WTF! what's next? You guys bringing NASCAR to Holland? :rolleyes:

The "campsites" have Metallica/Techno/HipHop blaring all through the night calling for wearing earplugs in the sleeping bag is a bit silly..) but what the hey.

Perfect for Nascar, let me make a call! :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I'll be heading out to Assen in 10 hours time so I better grab some zleep.

Forecasted at some 25 Celcius, no rain,

the weekend should be a cracker.

Looking forward to the sights and sounds of WSB (and the other races ofcourse)....

• Member Contributer

Great post Dutchy. One of these days, I'll attend a bike race on the other side of the pond. :thumbsup:

I JUST finished watching both races on SPEED! Edge of the seat racing!!!

What about Haga? 15th on the grid in both races, only to shoot right to the front AND the lead! (at least for awhile).

Whew!

I got to watch them live for the first time. The races were great. They were on the tube in my room here in Budapest. That was a great plus for the long weekend.

• Member Contributer

Thanks to insomnia, I stumbled onto race one last night on SPEED (flipping through the channels). Wow, what a great race. I can't remember a race that was that competitive among so many riders. :D

Thanks for the pics and the report, Dutchy.

• Member Contributer

Thanks Dutchy! From what I read this is the big event for WSBK!

Enjoyed this thoroughly!

Is this by Santa Barbara? :thumbsup: <_<

Excellent Dutchy, the Assen WSB round appears to be similar to the Phillip Island WSB round - great track, excellent racing, thousands of bikes parked in the paddock and crazy camping : )

At PI you can actually ride into the track grounds and ride to your favourite corner and park your bike! They don't allow that for MotoGP though.

• Member Contributer
Thanks to insomnia, I stumbled onto race one last night on SPEED (flipping through the channels). Wow, what a great race. I can't remember a race that was that competitive among so many riders. :D

Thanks for the pics and the report, Dutchy.

So it is the yellow that causes insomnia!! Spent the past 8000 miles trying to figure that one out...

• 2 years later...

headdown.jpg

Hanging head...

Fast forward 3 years and the Ten Kate boys from Nieuwleusen once again dominated the Assen race weekend:

burnoutu.jpg

What a great race it was with lots of overtaking at the front. Rea, Toseland, Corser, Haslam (race2) & Camier. Checa and Biaggi didn't battle for top spot but were very close to the podium.

Too bad you couldn't make it Dutchy as it was once again a fantastic weekend with great weather and lots of healthy food and drinks.

Some random pics:

Kevin (Superchode), his wife Adele and I stayed at a small campsite about a 20 minute walk from the track. I have no idea how the two of them fit into that small tent you see on the right :beer: I had the much spacier dome to the left all to myself :fing02:

campsite.jpg

Great wheather throughout the entire weekend :squid:

59183245.jpg

Getting ready for race 1:

grido.jpg

And they're off! The little Alfa gave the kawi's a head start.

headstartl.jpg

Byrne getting a knee down.

97660615.jpg

Fabrizio on the factory Ducati only managed to stay ahead of Checa on his customer Duc during saturday's training session.

fabriziocheca.jpg

The other Duc pilot that didn't have a very good weekend. Come on Haga, you can do better than that.

haga.jpg

Xaus getting back into his old habit. During the weekend he parked his bike in the kitty litter no less than three times. BMW should give the bike to their IDM rider Barry Veneman, he knows how to finish a race.

xaus.jpg

The lead riders of race 2 that provided us with a thrilling spectacle from start to finish.

kopgroep.jpg

Unfortunately Max wasn't able to battle for first.

maxb.jpg

Corser was riding impressively throughout the weekend. Unfortunately not good enough to get on the podium.

corsero.jpg

38743565.jpg

Almost every lap had a different race leader.

johnyrea.jpg

Johnny celebrating with the fans by throwing his gloves into the crowd.

glovesb.jpg

johnnyx.jpg

..which was answered by playing a victory tune on the bagpipes.

pipesl.jpg

Pole and two wins. Ten Kate couldn't ask for more :goofy:

johnnyu.jpg

For those that have missed the races you can grab Eurosport coverage using these (NZB) files:

Stock

WSS

WSBK race 1

WSBK race 2

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the report.

Yeah it has been a Ray Rea of Light during the two races :blink:

Looks like I'll be going to the TT end of June afterall :fing02:

That weekend my brother has to move his caravan from a campsite near Hoogeveen. So we'll ride up with a car and his Pan European on the Friday afternoon, camp, see the race (all seats sold out but I guess sitting space at the grassy banks will be ok), move the caravan on the Sunday and head back... I'll let my brother drive the car :fing02:

I just need to get some live racing soon.... Oh I miss the race in Nurburgring -08, Asen would be closer thro :fing02:

• Member Contributer

Those were some of the best races I have seen yet. It was actual racing and not just the whole 'I'll wait for the straight to pass' deal that's been most of the excitement lately. Just imagine how much more mayhem there would have been if checa, biaggi, and haga were able to get in the fight.

Too bad for camier though on the last race. Kept on clipping the turf on the first turn and couldn't seem to make any of his passes stick. ah well. Let's hope for another brawl at the next race.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived