My 1997 750 is back on the road

Hi all,

I posted here a few times explaining how I was guilty of letting my lovely 750 sit in the shed and gather dust. Well, this summer I really got to work on it and it's back on the road.

I put together a little PDF with pics and some text for a work group and thought it'd be nice to share it here. Enjoy! 

VFR presentation.pdf

Here's how it looks now:

PXL-20230915-160914370-2-1.jpg

• Like 7

• Member Contributer

Wow-that is a great write-up.  Thanks for that.  A buddy of ours bought bike when I bought my '98 new and loved it but sold it soon thereafter because he was scared he was going to get hurt or killed.  He wasn't accustomed to fast bikes so it was sad for him to sell it.  I wish I had to skills to do what you did to yours.  Maybe when I retire I can delve into the specifics of some of those tasks you completed.

• Like 1

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, fabio222 said:

this summer I really got to work on it

Lovely looking VFR and in an uncommon colour. And your pdf looks like a magazine article - well done you.

• Thanks 1

Thanks folks, I appreciate the comments and hope that it added something nice to your day! 

If anyone wants to see more pics or just see them out of the PDF, take a look at the album here: https://ibb.co/album/K0cvQR

I really dragged out the work I think, essentially it was a full service and a full on checkover but I didn't need to replace things like wheel bearings or head bearings. Remarkably, those are are all fine at 92,000 miles! That said, it all takes time. It took me days to get the chain on right because my rivet tool wasn't great and I had to improvise. And when you've been off the tools for a while you lose confidence in your ability and that needs to be built back up again too. Anyway, I'm glad I did it, and I'm glad you all like it. 

I have been using it to go to the office this week, that's about 20 miles from where I live and is a fairly easy commute when the weather is decent (most of the riding is on motorway, easy but boring). It's a beautiful bike to ride, always been really. I know it wouldn't put it up to more modern machinery and I can tell you that I wished it had ABS and all of the modern accoutrements when I was riding through flooded roads yesterday (a combination of high tides and heavy rain means Cork city floods a lot). That all said, it got me home in one piece and I enjoyed it. 

I remember when I started working on it again I said to my wife that I wanted to have something that, LCD clock aside, was almost completely analog in nature. Many of us work with or on computers and we all have phones in our hands these days and I just thought it'd be nice to use something that is a world away from the digital devices we use all of the time. It seems purer and more tangible somehow. 

• Like 4

• 3 months later...
  • Member Contributer
On 9/29/2023 at 11:42 AM, fabio222 said:

I remember when I started working on it again I said to my wife that I wanted to have something that, LCD clock aside, was almost completely analog in nature.

it'd be nice to use something that is a world away from the digital devices we use all of the time. It seems purer and more tangible somehow. 

I see a <1950's motorcycle in your future..... :laugh:

I infected my pal last year and now he owns two...

IMG-20231226-WA0015.thumb.jpg.6c3661984d2c4254af882b6bf8a159db.jpg

1790483620_DSC_0014(2).JPG.e098d2178865a27defc989e1cd290a99.thumb.jpeg.dcdf02aeeb9f2dc2bc94d44cce4fcbbb.jpeg

• Like 2