Going on a really long trip first time any tips

Amoreira88

I just want to second the Monkey Butt powder and cycling shorts. Cannot stress enough how wonderful that makes the trip! Another thing to consider is roadside assist. Double check your insurance policy to ensure that you have your bike covered for that. 

• Member Contributer

The 8th gen seat is on the hard side so additional padding is a must if you're going touring!  Give these a try:

http://motoskiveez.com/shop-page/adventure-skiveez/

They cost more than bicycle shorts but I think they're worth the money.  They made a huge difference on long distance rides for me.

The 8th gen seat is on the hard side so additional padding is a must if you're going touring! 

Harder seats are actually better for long rides, look at Corbin seats. The 8th seat is more comfortable than any other seat I've tried, the GoldWing being the only exception.

But I concur with the Moto-Skivees. I picked up a pair at the bike show and I have to admit - they really do help. Get the Adventure version.

• Member Contributer
15 hours ago, Rambler358 said:

Harder seats are actually better for long rides, look at Corbin seats. The 8th seat is more comfortable than any other seat I've tried, the GoldWing being the only exception.

But I concur with the Moto-Skivees. I picked up a pair at the bike show and I have to admit - they really do help. Get the Adventure version.

Depends on your ass. Motorcycle Consumer News did a great article on seats and ass types, which confirmed why I like harder seats. Basically if you have little to no ass harder is better, if you have some personal "padding" then softer is better. Has to do with but bones, pressure points, etc. On a soft seat my but bones end up down to the pan in a hundred miles..

Love Sargent seats, have one on the 5th gen, but my 4th gen Corbin is ideal for me.

+1 on Moto-Skivees as well.

I used to think softer is better, but when I do LONG trips, I found that isn't necessarily the case.  The wife and I actually have 'Bead Riders' on our seats.  They increase air flow between your bottom and the seat and helps keep you from getting all sweaty... No sweat; no monkey butt...

12-5-2016 11-01-58 AM.jpg

• Member Contributer
7 minutes ago, HispanicSlammer said:

Yup you wont need quite as much stuff as you think you do, 

Yeah, when I went cross-country on my RZ-350 I wound up not needing the spare piston kit, gaskets, etc.  :unsure:

Oh speaking of LONG road trips, when I was still a fan of fast-wearing sport rubber I called a good shop and planned out an oil and tire change 1700 miles from home about a month in advance so I'd be guaranteed the right rubber and while-you-wait service.

• Member Contributer

These are few small things I've found helpful . . .

* Spare keys.  I never thought I'd need one, but this summer I did!

* Emergency contact info on your person - particularly if you're traveling alone. I have a zipper pull on a jacket pocket that says "ICE" on it with a card inside.  1st responders know the acronym.

* Map(s)  Most of us are using our phones or GPS now - but sometimes a map is useful for perspective, particularly if encountering detours, construction, etc.

* Cash.  The CC company may shut your card off if used "too frequently" or is out of the norm for your purchasing habits.

* Phone numbers for Credit / Debit cards.  Leave the acct numbers with a trusted one and have the # to call in case lost or stolen

* A few disposable latex exam gloves - useful for chain maintenance or other unpleasant chores

* A few HD paper towels for cleanup

* Small packet of Kleenex

* Pencil style tire pressure gauge

* Some duck tape wrapped around a pencil - serves 2 purposes.

* A few scraps of paper to make notes - take down a phone #, etc

* A small selection of bandaids in the tankbag

* Soft, non-abrasive cloth for visor cleaning

* Power cord to charge the phone in the tankbag while riding

On my longest trips I carry a spare set of levers as well as a shift lever in the event of a tipover.  Maybe a bit overkill - but they might be all that's needed to save the trip.  I've been going lighter on the clothes.  Synthetic fiber clothes can be washed out in a sink and dry by morning - saves hauling a lot of unnecessary items. 

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, Epyon007 said:

OK so a Pencil wrapped with duck tape has 2 uses?  What are they?

. . . a pencil, and a small roll of tape . . . :unsure:  It's a  common way for backpackers to carry a writing tool and not have a large roll of tape taking up space.  Tough crowd! 

• Member Contributer
On 12/4/2016 at 7:18 PM, Rambler358 said:

I guess I should rephrase myself... since I don't come with enough factory padding on my butt I need a little more cushion on a couple of pressure points for long rides.  Otherwise, I like the 8th gen seat.

1 hour ago, Cogswell said:

. . . a pencil, and a small roll of tape . . . :unsure:  It's a  common way for backpackers to carry a writing tool and not have a large roll of tape taking up space.  Tough crowd! 

I thought  maybe you were Macgyver or something heh.  ;)

• Member Contributer

I plan on lubing my chain every 500mi. Recent 6,000 mi trip I went through 2 cans (plus a lube by dealer at oil change). I get it a lot cheaper at home.

And take it from and old phart who can't hear: WEAR EARPLUGS. (I have to shout 'cause I can't hear). +1 on the spare levers, I have a left foot peg I bring along too.

+99 on the water; you'll last longer with frequent hydration.

Ride safe and take pics.

On 12/17/2016 at 1:19 PM, Doc4216 said:

Listen to your body! Don't push yourself too hard and take a couple weekend trips to prep for this trip.

Actually, this is a pretty good point. If you have never done a truly long distance ride, you may not be prepared for the level of stiffness you will experience on day two! 

• Member Contributer

There's a lot to see between Philly and TOD, so plan your trip accordingly. Don't just blaze there or you'll miss a lot. What are you into? I like to end my days with a brewery or distillery nearby - camp out/end the day with a good nightcap after the kickstands are down, so look for something around 2-400 miles out via 2-lane roads where possible, and work from there. Never push yourselves too hard.

For the overall equipment, you've already got a lot of good advice - the VFR is awesome, but planning for the worst, I bring the standard toolkit (only ones I'm capable of using), Advil, lots of fluid, some chain cleaner/lube (a must after riding through rain/dirty roads), flashlight (although I'm generally off the road by sunset; I'm not covering all the camping gear here). I always bring earplugs and just about always forget to put them in. I'm pretty sure I'll start remembering that once my hearing's shot! Layers - so many options that wick, shed, insulate, heal, etc. Don't bring a lot, but bring stuff that does a lot.

the Dragon is a blast, but don't just ride past all the other great roads between home and there!!!

Archived