Well I got bit by a street fighter

• Forum CEO

I rode a 1280 KTM in Austin a few years back at the demo ride KTM tent. I really loved the awesome motor and supple suspension. It was way way way out of my price range. So I forgot all about it.

Reverse course a couple of weeks ago I was bored at work on my break, scrolling thru cycle trader on my phone, just a bunch of boring metric cruisers and squid owned bikes. I decided to look at my local dealership online inventory. Oh snap they had a 990 Super Duke with 10k miles on it, and 5300 dollars. Just so happens I had the cash, fast forward. Turns out a squid owned it previously. Removed the mirrors, sprocket cover, hugger. Dropped it. But in decent shape. Price was right, made the dealer fix some stuff. But now I got 3 bikes in my tiny garage. 

20210309_155104.jpg

20210309_143844.jpg

20210309_180635.jpg

• Member Contributer

Jiminy, look at the space in that garage. Plenty more room to grow your collection.

Btw, that's a very nice Katoom.

2 hours ago, Lorne said:

...space in that garage. Plenty more room...

Just imagining parking vefer  against the wall like that must be unpleasant, I suspect car has to fit there... personally I hate shuffling bikes in the garage = first world problems😆

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Magneto said:

Just imagining parking vefer  against the wall like that must be unpleasant, I suspect car has to fit there... personally I hate shuffling bikes in the garage = first world problems😆

1 hour ago, Magneto said:

I've thought about a center stand dolly, but never did get one.  Seems like it would make it a lot easier. 

• Member Contributer

Great bike!

Stop moaning pal...... I now own 5 motorcycles and have a front garden..... :laugh:

• Member Contributer

Nice, I rode the SMT version with that engine that my buddy has. I heard it described as "Like a box of frogs!"

Such a fun bike...

Enjoy!

• Member Contributer

Congrats HS. Should be a fun machine. And furthers the contagion of the MultiBikeDisorder.

Congrats on the SuperDuke, HS!!  🙂 

What a great bike.  I always loved that design, but back in the day (when they were new) there's no way I could afford one.  But now that they're reasonably priced, like you did I could probably pick one up.  I did actually look around CycleTrader for these prior to buying my new bike last August, so the SuperDuke will just have to stay a dream for now.

• Forum CEO

It's got a few issues, blown fork seal cheap to replace, the oil change was a motha, 3 drain points and separate oil tank. 10 w 50 required by ktm. Dry sump like a dirtbike. Nothing g serious.  Who would have thought its easier to do an oil change on the 1200 veefalo. 

Then I rode it, the vee twin has a thunder coming out of those Akropovic twin exhaust. Gobs of torque, it's not the I dont need to downshift torque of the veefalo but a 450lb bike compared to 650lbs it so much more nimble. 

I was riding up a hillside road in town that's a 15% grade for almost half a mile. Tons of cars choked up the 4 lane road. I saw a little bit of daylight and boom I was gone. It was so much fun walking away up that hill from the throng of cars. 

I have gotten lazy with downshifts riding the 1200f, the ktm you need to downshift on slow speed cornering. Just a different kind of bike, it's really made me a feel a renewed sense of ridership. I still love the veefalo, I'm never going let her go. 

Archived