Riding My Dream VFR

flya750

Great pictures.  Really enjoying my 6th Gen - but when the time comes to replace it with something newer I think an 8th Gen will be the bike that I'll choose to own until we're all forced to ride electric bikes.

Particularly like the front end styling - could be mistaken for something Italian, but with Honda quality, reliability and longevity.

When shopping for a new bike over the last year, I briefly considered the 8th gen.  I like everything about it, especially the Deluxe, but after 14 years with my 6th gen I just wanted something different for a while.  I sold my VFR a month ago, but like I've said since then I've not ruled out buying another VFR at some point.  Maybe a nice low mileage 8th gen a few years from now.  🙂

• Member Contributer
33 minutes ago, TimC said:

When shopping for a new bike over the last year, I briefly considered the 8th gen.  I like everything about it, especially the Deluxe, but after 14 years with my 6th gen I just wanted something different for a while.  I sold my VFR a month ago, but like I've said since then I've not ruled out buying another VFR at some point.  Maybe a nice low mileage 8th gen a few years from now.  🙂

Hi TimC

Well, I can only say that after having three 6gens which were all fantastic, my current 8gen, for many reasons, is the best I've owned by far. Definetly go for the Deluxe version (we don't have a choice in Aus, we only get the deluxe).

Be happy to give you a long list of reasons why it's so much better than the 6gen.

Cheers.

I am thinking about an 8 th gen one especially as they are being discontinued .

Go on, I'd be interested to hear why its so much better than the 6 th gen one.

I have 2  5th gen vfr's. 

• Member Contributer
12 minutes ago, Careca said:

I have 2  5th gen vfr's. 

I've had a 5th, 6th and now own a version of the 8th and rode an 8th when they first came out.

The 8th is a more modern bike. I think it handles and brakes better, the engine is much smoother with more torque in the 5k rpm region, the LED lights are superb at highlighting your presence to other road users and the service intervals are better leading to reduced running costs (along with better fuel consumption).

Of course, as with any bike, you can improve many aspects so you could take a 5th or 6th Gen, improve certain things for a lot less than buying a new 8th Gen.

Both of my Crossrunners have been the best VFR800's I've had to date (but none of them as good as the 1200 :wink:).

• Member Contributer
On 11/26/2020 at 1:22 AM, Careca said:

I have 2  5th gen vfr's. 

Ok here we go......:cool:

- Better fuel economy. The 8gen has slightly smaller tank capacity and a nicer more streamlined shape the greater fuel economy far exceeds any loss of fuel quantity.

- More improvements on vtec transition.

- New cam profiles, engine compression slightly increased to 11.8 : 1.

- Lighter weight (by almost 30lbs) and has a more nimble feel to handling and steering, gives you more confidence in the twisty stuff.

- A nicer slimmer look due to the side radiators being moved to the front.

- Rider seat has adjustable hi and low position.

- Greater storage room under the pillion seat especially with the rear cowl in use.

- Mirrors are better and are far less prone to being elbowed out of position by some peanut walking by your bike too closely.

- Stronger more ridged new SS Swingarm.

- Simple adjustment knob for rear suspension preload.

Brakes.

- Far better brakes with larger diameter 310mm front rotors.

- Non linked with ABS, (Australian 6gens were never the ABS version)

- Front brakes are dual radial mounted 4 piston fixed calipers.

Instrumentation.

- Whilst not essential but nice to have, gear position indication.

- Fuel usage instantaneous, average etc. readout.

- Traction control.

- 5 stage heated grips.

- Auto cancelling turn indicators...ok once you get used to them!

- Turn Indicator and Horn switches have swapped positions! Will drive you crazy initially BUT once you get used to it it's great, your thumb is right next to the indicator switch where it should be.

Electrics.

- All the electrical issues that plagued the 5th and 6gens appear to have been resolved.

- Stator is forced oil cooled. Have not heard of a single 8gen stator failure yet!

- R/R is a greatly improved, efficient microprocessor controlled mosfet regulator.

- Reduced electrical loads due to the LED headlights.

- Gone is the radiator cooling fan thermatic switch now control by the ECM engine temp inputs.

- Gone is the speed pickup that was coupled to the drive sprocket mounting bolt head. Rear ABS sensor is the speed sensor.

- Gone is the diaphragm type fuel pressure regulator that had caused issues with 5 and 6gen.

- Even the ignition switch and starter switch have been simplified to simple single pole switches, improving reliability.

- Easier access to all fuses being under the rider seat.

OEM Panniers.

- Really nice, no ugly added brackets required, just discrete integrated mounting points for panniers. Very simple and fast pannier install and removal.

Overall superb build quality, reliability, durability and bloody great fun! You also have the option of fitting a genuine Honda Quick Shifter for the 8gen. :wheel:

Cons. :sad:

These are my only small gripes I have that may not be issues for other owners, but for me the 8gen is a fantastic all round great looking and sounding road bike. Wherever I take the VFR I'm always getting comments from people of what a nice looking bike it is.....I always agree!:wub:

- Suspension a bit harsh no matter what the setting.

- OEM exhaust is a bit ugly ...easily fixed!

- Oh, yeah...Beware the Fuel Tank breather hose!!! 

- Oil filter is a little more awkward to get at due to it being behind the front cooling fan.

- Minor issue in rear wheel removal, you now have to swing the exhaust aside, its a piece of cake, just a simple extra step you didn't have to do with a 6gen.

Have I forgotten anything? :comp13:

"My Dream VFR". Taken this morning.:wub::wub:

20201125_103623.jpg

I think one of the great things about the 8th gen. is it still looks like a VFR.  With kind of an exception for the 7th gen, the VFR's looks have evolved rather than experience major changes.  Even the 7th gen still kind of looks like a VFR, but the side fairings are pretty different.

It's like that for many automobiles and some motorcycles, but I think if you lined up the different generations of VFRs you'd probably be able to tell they're all the same model, just different generations.

I forgot who has that wicked RWB 86 VFR840 but I think that bike with fuel injection, an AA supercharger, and upgraded electrics (including LED lights) would be a forever VFR for me...  

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Samuelx said:

I forgot who has that wicked RWB 86 VFR840 but I think that bike with fuel injection, an AA supercharger, and upgraded electrics (including LED lights) would be a forever VFR for me...  

You may be thinking of HighSideNZ's candy red 6th gen with the 5th gen motor he bored out to 825cc and swapped in.  No Toro kit, though . . .  Otherwise it's possibly ToeCutter's RWB '07 with a Toro kit.  He hangs out on the "other" VFR site tho.

A forever VFR for me means no VTEC and I could relatively easily adjust my own valves (no shims required) on an 86/87...  🙂

I think the member is "evl_twn".

Not sure if this is his gallery/website or not:

http://www.rc30.us/vfr.html

The 840 I'm thinking of doesn't have (afaik) FI or LED or AA (those would be my wish list)...

I apologize, I don't remember who's drool inducing garage this is:

002-thumb-JPG-d1fe33ba75d0292101f14eae84

003-thumb-JPG-38d14480669975f3c1cad5af05

Thats a very comprehensive list of improvements.

Thank you for having taken the time .

I am going to have to go test ride one and maybe buy one before they are discontinued. 

Regards,

Nat.

Plus One to all the things Grum listed. I think the 8th gen is beautiful...get compliments all the time. Sometimes I'll just go in the 

garage and look at it...gorgeous.

Wish it had electronic cruise control and the oil filter is a PITA. That's about it.

• Member Contributer
4 hours ago, Careca said:

I am going to have to go test ride one and maybe buy one before they are discontinued

Too late.........The 2017 VFR800F was the last, that may be the same for the 1200 as well.

Either way they are already, sadly, discontinued!

• 3 weeks later...

VFR 800'S are still available over here .

List price is £9,995 on the road ( $13.335 ).

Cheapest ZERO miles brand new one I can find is £8,999 ( $12,000 )

I think that is very good value. 

Do I buy it now or wait until January, see if dealers offer better discounts ?

• Member Contributer

In the Northern Hemisphere this is about the low time for dealers.  Everyone's focused on the holidays, the weather is crap, days are the shortest and bikes are not an essential purchase.  If you have cash (no financing needed to arrange) the better.  Haggling will soon get harder as the holidays pass by and better weather comes closer.  If a dealer still has a new 8th gen, it's been on the floor for a long time - that's money they have tied up they can use elsewhere.  All they can say to a low ball offer is "no", why not give it a shot. 

• Member Contributer

also don't narrow it down to just price. Have them throw things in that would cost you money. Like oil-changes for 5-yrs, next set of tyres, chain & sprockets, dancing girls, etc.

• Member Contributer

I also think the eighth Gen is a superior bike to the sixth but I loved the RWB paint job on the sixth and the under tail exhaust. I know the under tail exhaust is heavy and all that, I just like the look. I also think the luggage is better on the sixth, not the mounting hardware but the cases themselves. 

57 minutes ago, DannoXYZ said:

also don't narrow it down to just price. Have them throw things in that would cost you money. Like oil-changes for 5-yrs, next set of tyres, chain & sprockets, dancing girls, etc.

...and riding gear.  I've never worked motorcycle retail, but in many retail environments markup on accessories is very high, and as much as 100%.  Ask for 'free' or substantially discounted helmet, gloves, boots, etc.

Called up today about the New Red VFR .

They wouldn't budge on £8,999.00 saying thats what they paid . Wouldn't throw anything in and wouldn't even do free delivery. 

Guess I can wait.......certainly no rush , its winter here and its lashing .

Archived