So I might have done a thing......

• Member Contributer

Looking good!

Now go find a track!!!

leukopdefoto_1112330.thumb.JPG.8e522fe9c7869169fb11e4e463426209.JPG

• Member Contributer
11 hours ago, Veefer800Canuck said:

Riding great fellas!!! This thing is a rush! 

93EA580E-3BB6-4A51-AD8F-3D32FA5A57F4.jpeg

WOW! Holy bike lust!

• Like 2

• Member Contributer

Methinks that is a view of Sierra Buttes from Gold Lake Highway, near Sierra City, Cal. Some fantastic roads & scenery in that vicinity.

On 4/14/2018 at 10:31 AM, St. Stephen said:

A VFR/RC51 motivational pic:

IMG_3353.JPG

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
18 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Ooooooohhhh luvverly!!! 🙂

It’s an old used Lockhart Phillips hugger I got for $50, and then I modified it with the bulge for the taller tire. 

Matt from Duckhunter Composites saw it and wanted me to ship it to him so he could make a mold of it and begin production in CF.

I got the first one free. 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Update: end of last season, the injectors for the rear cylinder shit the bed, despite cleaning the entire fuel system, new tank, and professionally cleaned fuel injectors.

it was down on power, coughing and bucking, popping and farting, running like a bag of shit.  

I determined the fault by swapping the rear injectors to the front cylinder, and vice versa. 

Exhaust pipe temp on the good cyl was 350’c shortly after cold startup, whereas bad cyl was between 30-40’C

swapping the injectors made the problem reverse itself, so.....

4 brand new OEM injectors cured the problem, at an astronomical cost. Ouch.

Also, through the winter, I added an SP2 RH radiator with fan (SP1 had only 1 fan), so I have double the cooling capacity when the fans kick in. 

However, I also had to get the SP2 oil cooler, lines, and center V-cowl, as it is relocated to allow fitment of the fan on the different rad. 

The LH OEM fan had been previously replaced by a SPAL pusher fan, so I now have one pusher fan and one puller fan. Should work OK in traffic and at speed also. 

And also put on a full set of Core Moto brake lines, and converted to coil-on-plug ignition using CBR600RR coils and modified CBR OEM coil wiring harness. 

31CB59B2-44B4-4566-AD3F-B7773408C887.jpeg

E5E857F3-F228-43D4-B8AF-5B1B6DFC4650.jpeg

30FE059D-816C-44D9-B54A-38B166333134.jpeg

189AA2C2-665C-40F6-8BB6-921E440744F1.jpeg

B5CC5A30-6D21-4BE0-9EAB-47E90E9C2B17.jpeg

25FB8A93-8553-4C17-9060-78C8C8777991.jpeg

C850939C-B5E6-49E8-9FF0-0665BB7B685D.jpeg

B47263CE-AEC5-4541-96D2-B3D3740EEA37.jpeg

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

It'll just bolt right on aways trips me up, even with the smallest tasks. Of course, these little issues pose no problem to you.

I'd love to hear your what you have to say about the SP1 a couple years down the road. And I bet I'm not alone.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lorne said:

It'll just bolt right on aways trips me up, even with the smallest tasks. Of course, these little issues pose no problem to you.

I'd love to hear your what you have to say about the SP1 a couple years down the road. And I bet I'm not alone.

Well, I’ve had it two years now and I’m loving it. It’s such a weapon, handles so nice. 

The 190/55 rear tire is the BOMB. Raises the rear and makes the bike steer crazy good. 

Hard to ride it for more then than two hours at a time, but I’ve lost 40 lbs over the winter and gotten MUCH fitter, hitting the gym an hour a day, so perhaps year two will be easier on the old frame now that I’m in shape??? 

• Member Contributer
24 minutes ago, Veefer800Canuck said:

Well, I’ve had it two years now and I’m loving it. It’s such a weapon, handles so nice. 

The 190/55 rear tire is the BOMB. Raises the rear and makes the bike steer crazy good. 

Hard to ride it for more then than two hours at a time, but I’ve lost 40 lbs over the winter and gotten MUCH fitter, hitting the gym an hour a day, so perhaps year two will be easier on the old frame now that I’m in shape??? 

So just curious... assuming I still would want to grab one of these... is there any reason to prioritize a SP2 vs a SP1?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, mello dude said:

So just curious... assuming I still would want to grab one of these... is there any reason to prioritize a SP2 vs a SP1?

Besides being newer, yes. 

The SP1 is 2000-2001

SP2 is 2002-2006

The most sought after models are the 2004 “Nicky” editions and the 2006 all-black ones. 

There are a host of inprovements to the SP2, stiffer steering head stem, 12 hole fuel injectors, TWO radiator cooling fans instead of one, lighter and better looking wheels, upgraded swingarm, different rear shock, revised forks, different rear subframe, etc etc etc. 

Definetly get one one of those if you can. 

SP-2s were a slight improvement over the SP-1.  The changes to the fuel injection along with the swingarm made the handling and fueling a bit better.  All of them in bone stock condition are a bit jumpy to ride at slow speeds.  They are also geared too high for most practical riding.  Most owners opt for a fuel manager and change the gear ratio.  Usually, one up in back and one down if front does very nicely to make it easier around town.  The 2006 models are the most "rare" if that matters.  By 06 Honda was using up the frames and parts they had on hand and there may have been as few a 400 examples.  I've never seen any vin numbers higher than that.  The '05 is also all black.  From 2002 on they are all identical from year to year except paint schemes.  That being said, for some reason the 04 Nicky versions are all much faster than the others...   😉

IMG_20180729_092507.jpg

• Like 1

• Member Contributer

Having seen Colin and Aaron ride SP's at Assen at the start of the millennium, I agree with Skids that Castrols are luvverly and a few steps up!!.. :tongue::tongue:

IMG_20190227_162257.thumb.jpg.705061673490d798852b1f219ee1614a.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TNRC51 said:

SP-2s were a slight improvement over the SP-1.  The changes to the fuel injection along with the swingarm made the handling and fueling a bit better.  All of them in bone stock condition are a bit jumpy to ride at slow speeds.  They are also geared too high for most practical riding.  Most owners opt for a fuel manager and change the gear ratio.  Usually, one up in back and one down if front does very nicely to make it easier around town.  The 2006 models are the most "rare" if that matters.  By 06 Honda was using up the frames and parts they had on hand and there may have been as few a 400 examples.  I've never seen any vin numbers higher than that.  The '05 is also all black.  From 2002 on they are all identical from year to year except paint schemes.  That being said, for some reason the 04 Nicky versions are all much faster than the others...   😉

IMG_20180729_092507.jpg

I went +4 on the rear sprocket and kept the front sprocket stock. 

I also installed a G2 Throttle Tamer which works wonders for the slow speed running. 

ECU is stock, runs great with just a pair of slipons. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...