CBR1000RR SP and SP2

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

Good lookin' motorcycle. I'm going to put that paint job on my next track bike. Thanks for sharing, Jim.

• Member Contributer

Mercy Ari, the gas tank is aluminum not titanium...

I'm not the only one disappointed Honda didn't ante up an affordable race bred V4 like the CEO talked about... 

• Member Contributer
6 minutes ago, Switchblade said:

Looks like Titanium.

It does but I'm baffled as to why any engineer would want to make a fuel tank out of titanium. :unsure:

Sounds to me like that idea is straight out of the marketing department. 

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, RC36Rider said:

It does but I'm baffled as to why any engineer would want to make a fuel tank out of titanium. :unsure:

Definitely says Titanium, then in one video complains that this "art" is covered with bodywork. Trust me if anyone crashes one of these, the tank will explode if it holes whilst sliding upside down, the down side to titanium & friction = sparks :(

I'm surprised that Ti tank would be allowed under racing regs, but probably no one has done it before so not banned yet !

• Member Contributer
22 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

[...] the down side to titanium & friction = sparks :(

I'm surprised that Ti tank would be allowed under racing regs, but probably no one has done it before so not banned yet !

True that. It had not occurred to me but that's yet another (technical) reason why it's a silly material for a tank. :wacko:

Who wants to bet that the race kit will contain an Al replacement tank. :laugh:

The tank is covered in a plastic shell.  Ti is a lot lighter and way stronger than aluminum.  Ti also has a much higher melting point than AL.  The Boeing Dreamliner has a higher TI content than AL.  That and a lot of fighter jets use Ti throughout their structure.  And if Ti is such a fire hazard then why do they use it for exhaust and literally dump fire & fuel right into it!  Ti for the full exhaust system was used in the 929/954 and I'm sure it is/was used by Suzuki on their GSXR 1000.  They really should use MORE of the material especially in the sub-frames.     

• Member Contributer
9 hours ago, BusyLittleShop said:

Mercy Ari, the gas tank is aluminum not titanium...

I'm not the only one disappointed Honda didn't ante up an affordable race bred V4 like the CEO talked about... 

Big time disappointment here as well as the V4 was definitely bantered about.  It's like they are scared a production V4 will get into their competitors hands or something.. Makes little sense when your customers have begged for one for nearly two  decades.. Yamaha has a crossplane 4, Aprilia a true V4, Honda is just hell bent on inline 4 for the masses.  My local Honda GM is severely disappointed.  Hondas were selling so poorly they acquired a Yamaha dealership and that acquisition has kept them going.. This is just another update instead of an all new bike we wanted.

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Rogue_Biker said:

The tank is covered in a plastic shell.  Ti is a lot lighter and way stronger than aluminum.  Ti also has a much higher melting point than AL.  The Boeing Dreamliner has a higher TI content than AL.  That and a lot of fighter jets use Ti throughout their structure.  And if Ti is such a fire hazard then why do they use it for exhaust and literally dump fire & fuel right into it!  Ti for the full exhaust system was used in the 929/954 and I'm sure it is/was used by Suzuki on their GSXR 1000.  They really should use MORE of the material especially in the sub-frames.     

Aluminum is actually lighter than Titanium, but it is much stronger (not stiffer) and most Ti parts can be made thinner while having the same or better strength than Aluminum parts.

Most bikes have steel tanks which would spark as well............

Ti is not a fire hazard like Magnesium, which will will burn like a flare if ignited (even under water), and won't stop until it runs out of it's own fuel - I've heard you can cover it in graphite to extinguish - but have not tried......

• Member Contributer

Thanks for pointing that out Russo...

Ti Fuel Tank would not be much weight savings over aluminum and is cost prohibitive for a street bike... even the $180K RC213 sports an aluminum tank for cool $7,849.55

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Rogue_Biker said:

1. The tank is covered in a plastic shell. 

2. Ti is a lot lighter and way stronger than aluminum. 

3. Ti also has a much higher melting point than AL.

1. True so no big risk there but the fact remains that Ti sparks readily when rubbing against asphalt while Al does not.

2. Nope. Weight for weight, Al is the structurally stronger material. Ti is much harder and has much higher tensile strength... which is why you'll see Ti con-rods but not Al but this is hardly relevant for a fuel tank.

3. Yup ! Which is why Ti is the material of choice for lightweight exhaust systems while Al is a non-starter.

I'd like to know if there is a single advantage to Ti in this application.

I can't think of one. 

Weight for weight AL is lighter, so you are right RC36rider.  But strength for strength it is superior to AL.  So if you want strength without the bulk, then Ti is a good choice.  Given the size of the fuel tank, I would wager they got a lighter tank with it being Ti for the same tensile strength.  Also, unlike AL, which cracks when it its overly stressed, Ti will bend.  So perhaps also the Ti tank will be more resistant to punctures.  However, I'm sure it was just weight reduction they were after, especially for something that sits so high up on the bike.  It kind of aligns with Ti being chosen for structural parts on modern airplanes. 

4 hours ago, luvtoleanit said:

Big time disappointment here as well as the V4 was definitely bantered about.  It's like they are scared a production V4 will get into their competitors hands or something.. Makes little sense when your customers have begged for one for nearly two  decades.. Yamaha has a crossplane 4, Aprilia a true V4, Honda is just hell bent on inline 4 for the masses.  

Well, as much as I love my VFR's V4 engine, I have to admit I kind of understand Honda's resistance in giving us a modern, high volume, V4 sport bike.  V4's are notoriously heavy due to their additional valvetrain gear and serpentine exhaust systems.  Ever wonder why Aprilia's with V4's are porkers....that's one reason. That and the Aprilia's are closing in on 1100cc's.  Not exactly an apples to apples comparison.  Inline-4's are also much easier and simpler to maintain, especially on major service intervals.  Having only one set of camshafts and CCT's makes things easier, although that may not matter to every owner.  I really don't think torque is a factor in liter bike engine configuration.

The only real "nice thing" about the V4 is the exhaust sound.  But there is nothing wrong with the sound Formula 1 engines either.       

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, RC36Rider said:

1. True so no big risk there but the fact remains that Ti sparks readily when rubbing against asphalt while Al does not.

2. Nope. Weight for weight, Al is the structurally stronger material. Ti is much harder and has much higher tensile strength... which is why you'll see Ti con-rods but not Al but this is hardly relevant for a fuel tank.

3. Yup ! Which is why Ti is the material of choice for lightweight exhaust systems while Al is a non-starter.

I'd like to know if there is a single advantage to Ti in this application.

I can't think of one. 

The only reason  I can think of is maybe survivability at high speed  crash, just a guess, maybe the tank will not collapse .

I didn't notice how ridiculous it looked until you reposted that picture... yeah. I had a new can ordered within a week of buying my VFR, so I don't really pay attention to that, but for that same reason, I'm wondering why Honda and Suzuki both are bothering with titanium. Almost nobody with a sport bike keeps a stock muffler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer
14 minutes ago, jhenley17 said:

I didn't notice how ridiculous it looked until you reposted that picture... yeah. I had a new can ordered within a week of buying my VFR, so I don't really pay attention to that, but for that same reason, I'm wondering why Honda and Suzuki both are bothering with titanium. Almost nobody with a sport bike keeps a stock muffler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My guess is that maybe they think less people will want to ditch a Ti muffler. However, looks and sound seem to have higher priority over what it's made of, so I don't see that being a reality.

• Member Contributer
5 hours ago, Rogue_Biker said:

V4's are notoriously heavy due to their additional valvetrain gear and serpentine exhaust systems.  

Negative...

Its about the same because the short V4 crankshaft weights less than an I4 crankshaft...
1807229586_977bff5b13_o.jpg

Other advantages the V4 sports over the I4...

1) Cube-like crankcase are inherently more rigid than the longer,
beam-like case of an I4 engine

2)Short V4 crankshaft has less distance to travel and thus takes
physical effort to change direction than I4...
1589869246_b33d07bd76_o.jpg

3) 90º V4 has perfect primary balance, a great improvement over
the buzzy, second-order vibration of an I4...

4)A V4 has less internal crank bearing friction and able to spin up
faster and deliver more rear wheel HP...

5) A narrow V4 affords up to a 35% reduction in aerodynamic drag over
the wide I4...
492185703_fb83d77028_o.jpg

• Member Contributer

Drawbacks to the V4 as opposed to IL4 (not exhaustive and not necessarily in order of importance) :

1. Cost

2. More rearward weight distribution

3. Longer wheelbase (assuming equal swingarm length) 

Still, seems to me that the very best MotoGP engineers can't really make up their minds as to which is the superior architecture. 

Archived