The Ace Of Spades Baltics Tour 2016

Dutchy

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, Mohawk said:

RobF, that second paragraph about brain verses eye perception corrolates nicely with my own knowledge of accidents. I have sworn that if it ever hapens again & I'm fit & able when the driver says "sorry mate I didn't see you" or SMIDSY in the UK then I'm going to beat them to death !!!!!!

Sometimes I ask people when talking about driving/riding & accidents or near misses, "what do you look for" & almost always regardless of car or bike driver, they say CARS ! sometimes they say other road users. But I try to get them to think or look for MOVEMENT. Stationary objects DON'T cause crashes & yes a stationary vehicle of person may move & cause an accident, but then they are moving !  Staionary things are potential hazards, but moving things have kinetic energy & can hurt you !  if you attune your sences to look for movement, then you WILL see pedestrians, cyclists & all other road users very easily.

Works for me, unfortunately does not help when you have right of way & the other person, like in Dutchy's case does NOT see you :(

Movement doesn't always give it away though. You can crash into someone, both parties moving, yet not discern any movement in the other vehicle if they are on a constant bearing with you. Approaching a junction, a vehicle on the main road may appear to be stationary in your windscreen (and therefore not necessarily stand out) but that is just because they are on a constant bearing; unless one of you changes speed or direction, you will come together.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer
20 hours ago, Mohawk said:

Sometimes I ask people when talking about driving/riding & accidents or near misses, "what do you look for" & almost always regardless of car or bike driver, they say CARS ! sometimes they say other road users. But I try to get them to think or look for MOVEMENT.

I'm glad Dutchy is home safely.  It was a sad end to Redslut :sad: and a tour that was supposed to help Leon 'shift gears' in his work life.  But, given his capacity to look on the bright side, I'm sure things will work out (and he does have a VF waiting at home).

With regard to the accident, and after reading the comments, two things come to mind.  First, I recall being taught at a road safety course years ago that drivers have a hard time judging the speed of smaller vehicles.  Sometimes it's not that they don't see the bike, but simply that they underestimate how quickly it's moving (not helped by the fact that bikes are often moving more quickly than other vehicles).  The second thing, also from that course (and to Mohawk's point), has to do with road position. The instructor taught that 80 percent of the time one should (in North America and other places where we drive on the right), ride in the left tire track (between the lane divider line and the oil strip).  There are several reasons for this, but one is that it's where car drivers expect to see the driver of other cars.  So, subconsciously, when they look down the road, or in their rearview mirrors, that's where they look.  Of course, there are reasons to switch to the right tire track (blind hills, oncoming tractor-trailer rigs, corners, to name a few), but it's another thing to keep in mind while reciting the mantra: "Everyone and everything out here is trying to kill me!" :beer: 

• Member Contributer

After 30+ years riding, I do know they are out there to get me....

so yes road positioning and adjusting speed to road condition/layout is 2nd nature for me.

I just read out my GPS data.

at that spot, the (posted) speed limit is 70kmh.

I entered the "exit / intersection" area (where the oncoming car turned leff) at 36.8kmh.

The minute prior I was doing 68,8kmh (no intersections)

So this confirms what I already knew laying in the back of the ambulance :goofy:

I'm so sorry to hear of your misfortune. I'll miss the redslut pictures and stories. Hope you heal quickly. Ignore the armchair quartebacking. There's absolutely nothing you can do when someone pulls out in front of you like that (still my biggest fear even after 30+ years of riding). Hope you get a new bike and we get new stories and pictures!

• Member Contributer
6 hours ago, checksix said:

Ignore the armchair quartebacking. There's absolutely nothing you can do when someone pulls out in front of you like that (still my biggest fear even after 30+ years of riding). Hope you get a new bike and we get new stories and pictures!

:huh:

No one's criticizing Dutchy.  You're right, there is nothing you can do in a situation like this.  In fact, it turned out as well as it could with no one seriously hurt--though I will miss the adventures of Redslut.  Once Dutchy's wrist heals up, he does have a VF so with any luck we will still get our quota of windmill, dike and food pics. :fing02: 

We all will miss the Redslut for sure (Dutchy the most) but I'm sure we will enjoy storys as pictures of the Puma as soon as Duchy's wrist allow, right Dutchy?

• Member Contributer

Or a RC51......   :-)

I have shed 10 kilos in the past 2,5 months so might just fit on one....

• Member Contributer

The mailman just delivered a package (T shirt) from Finland...

Kiitos kiitos Kenny+family!!!

IMAG5106_1.jpg

5 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Or............

IMAG5101.jpg

:-)

Sell your house of go to snel motoren in Zeist. Low mileage rc36ii in need of a lot of modifications. Asking price 950

• Member Contributer

well, as Belfry rightly pointed out, I also have cougar/puma.....

The surgeon in the hospital today was happy with the Lithuanian cast, somewhat happy with what he saw on the fresh x-rays.

Come Monday he and his team will take one more X-ray look to decide whether to continue with cast only or indeed operate and put a plate in.

Looking at a minimum of 6 weeks to full recovery, by that time we have winter. So no rushing to another bike (if any).

• Member Contributer

Had not been in this thread and saw a pic of your bike on its side on the flatbed in the Riding Quotes thread today and was hoping it wasn't so...  Sorry to hear about the accident and hope you are back riding (a VFR) soon.  Thanks for posting all the pics of your tour!  Heal up nicely and quickly.

• Member Contributer
15 minutes ago, Polarbear said:

god you look so thin on those pics.... Are you eating enough???????????????? 

:goofy:

C

Continuing to apply (somewhat) the diet I started end of M

ay for a good reason/maximum weight requirement... 

QIMG_0763-20160629-185330683_1.jpg

At the start i was ~96kg in the buff, 85 now.....

leon-20160629-092342984.jpg

Archived