I Did A Dumb Thing - Forgot About The Disc Lock And Bent The Disc

Yeah; It was a stupid thing to forget about. Pulled off and shunted the bike pretty hard. Left-side calliper seems fine, but will inspect it properly this week when i get the new EBC discs on there. Will also be replacing pads all round, servicing the brakes and getting new fluids in there while it's on the bench at work. Decided to replace both as i'd done similar to the right side disc a month before, but it wasn't that bad.

I dread to think what it'd cost me if i didn't have access to trade prices and a workshop.

The lesson: No more disc locks EVER for me. I clearly can't be trusted with them. I've done this on every bike i've owned. Cable locks all the way for the front wheel now.

Been there with you, bent my rotor on Katana 1100 back in the 90s. You can get a rubber cable that attaches to your disc lock and attach it to your handlebar.

Oh, i have a reminder cable. But i always forget to use it. I need a reminder reminder.

I'll take the easy route of just not using a disc lock. A cable lock should be better as it has some give and will just bounce back a little.

• Member Contributer

It's generous of you to share the lesson. I'm sorry about the cost and hassle of the associated repairs.

• Member Contributer

Always place a disc lock right under the brake caliper, NOT in front of the front fork.

• Member Contributer

I did a dumb thing with a cable lock many years ago. My bike (a lovely CBX400F) was on its centre stand, with the cable lock looped through the wheel and up over the seat. I was demonstrating to a mate how great the engine sounded, when for some unknown and unknowable reason, I dropped it into gear and let the clutch out. The rear wheel spun and pulled the cable lock tight, and smashed both plastic side covers. Bugger!

• Member Contributer

Hmmm.....I was thinking about getting a disc lock. May be worth taking the risk of an insurance claim and getting a new bike.

• Member Contributer

I did a very acrobatic roll once, shortly after remembering about my disc lock... :wacko:

That (ca. 1991) was the last time I used a disc lock!

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

I think there oughta' be a poll, how many people who use or have used disc locks have screwed up and launched with the lock on.

Done it TWICE myself, bad enough to end up under the bike. Saved it once.

The advice to put it where it doesn't allow you to move at all, seems very wise.

Either that or don't use it at all. Insurance, trunk monkey, whatever.

• Member Contributer

I thought about this for a little a while and decide the manufacturer of the rotor locks should provide a warning .

046686-1-01.jpg

Like this and it should insert into the key switch,

And it should read " REMOVE ROTOR LOCK " ....

hellindustries,

These are probably not as effective but I always kept one similar to these on my bikes and felt better for having it.....

https://lockitt.com/LeverLocks.htm

LookingHard

Brilliant! I really like that idea. I do want to comment on one thing though. (The part that I bolded specifically) There is an old saying, locks only keep honest people honest. If someone really wants to steal or damage your bike, they will. I have seen videos where people have had chains on their bike around a pole or even disc locks. The can cut the chain or in the case of the disc lock, they can pick up the entire bike and stuff it in a van!

All they need is an easier target to overlook yours. So if there is another bike without any locks, that will be their target.

Fitted the new discs today. Also had to fit a replacement bracket for the left side calliper as it turns out i'd cracked it. Managed to pick one up pretty cheap locally, which was a real life saver.

Just need to do another full bleed tomorrow to get the brakes sharp again, and all will be well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

I feel your pain. The same thing happened to me with my 88 Vulcan. Fortunately, the lock broke and it did not damage the disk (which probably means the lock wasn't worth diddly anyway). Live and learn, my friend. Thanks for posting.

• Member Contributer

51FvJD14m0L.jpg

I like this idea !!!

I use one of those and it's worked well. I also place the lock right up against the caliper so in the event I do somehow forget the bike is prevented from moving and cannot build up any momentum.

hellindustries,

These are probably not as effective but I always kept one similar to these on my bikes and felt better for having it.....

https://lockitt.com/LeverLocks.htm

LookingHard

Brilliant! I really like that idea. I do want to comment on one thing though. (The part that I bolded specifically) There is an old saying, locks only keep honest people honest. If someone really wants to steal or damage your bike, they will. I have seen videos where people have had chains on their bike around a pole or even disc locks. The can cut the chain or in the case of the disc lock, they can pick up the entire bike and stuff it in a van!

All they need is an easier target to overlook yours. So if there is another bike without any locks, that will be their target.

Had a big ass chain around a pole and an old school kryptonite lock threw my back wheel back in the early 90's on my FZR1000....gone in three weeks, cops told me back then, if they want it they'll get it, battery powered hand held saws with diamond blades.

Even took my cover

Bastiges

I keep the orange plastic coiled cord hooked to my disc locks like Cogswell above on both front and rear. Have the cord attached to handle bar and then to footpeg for the rear and it keeps me from forgetting them. Only have forgot one time years ago when it used to stay outside under a cover. Hail storm just about to start and ran outside to pull it under awning and ripped off cover, rocked it off center stand and tried to take off and lock stopped me. Luckily, no damage though.

• Member Contributer

51FvJD14m0L.jpg

I like this idea !!!

I use one of those and it's worked well. I also place the lock right up against the caliper so in the event I do somehow forget the bike is prevented from moving and cannot build up any momentum.

Or use two one on both sides.

Archived