Anyone Know A Cheap Place To Get A Tool Kit?

Epiclobotomy

• Member Contributer

The OEM tool kit quality is a bit well euh cheap. You are better of buying better quality spanners etc. The one non-standard it the wrecnch/lever to adjust the chain.

#6 and #15

post-8974-0-43204300-1454938085.jpg

post-8974-0-79156300-1454938129.jpg

davidsilverspares might have them (or phone your local Honda dealer).

I debated buying a Honda tool kit to keep with the bike for posterity sake. Given the ridiculous price and that all of the feedback I got was that the tools are cheap, I decided to put together an American-made toolkit. This does not answer your question as such tools are pricey. But just to put the idea in your head, you can collect a very nice set of American tools for the ballpark price of the Honda kit, depending on what you decide to include. I used http://www.harryepstein.com which puts a nationality flag next to each tool so you can easily see where it is made.

In agreement with Dutchy on the chain adjuster, while the Honda part is thin steel, most hook spanners are larger tools for working on commercial equipment, and thus might not fit. Thus the chain adjuster is the one Honda tool that you should have.

There are discussions on these blogs about specifically what tools to collect, but one good piece of advice that sticks out was to add an adjustable or crescent wrench. If you ever have to hold a nut to prevent it from turning, a medium-sized adjustable wrench can cover the nut for whichever open-ended wrench you are using.

• Member Contributer

well, EPIC, youre in texas.

meaning you can go to " harbor freight " and get some pittsburgh brand tools with out busting your wallet..

they are guaranteed for life... the hand tools are good, but the electrical stuff not so much..

then theres craftsman tools at sears..,husky at the home depot..kobalt from lowes ..

i dont know about the tools at the local autozone,pepboys,napa.. they may or may not be guaranteed for life.

now the chain adjustment tool.. go to the motorcycle junkyards!! my pal got the whole honda set for 5 bucks.. :fing02:

Thanks for the advice guys, the biggest thing that I need is the chain adjustment tool. I will take your advice on the quality of the rest of the parts and build a quality set, most likely from craftsman/kobalt tools.

I actually need to piece together a tool kit myself for my 96, looks like our chain adjuster is the same. I do have a local buddy with an 06 i can snag the tool from if you are in dire need... No idea about bike junk yards, but if you find any let me know. I'm new to the bike world, but have loved just walkin around car junk yards for years.

http://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/p/honda/89201-mr8-000/spanner-pin

• Member Contributer

Watch eBay, Craigslist, kijiji (whatever suits your fancy).

Yes most people want >$50, but if you wait patiently you may find a deal. I got a used toolkit with all pieces for about $20 after a fair bit of searching. Not necessary (really i just needed item 6 as noted above), but I wanted an OEM toolkit (same with the owners manual, waited till I found one online used for $5).

• Member Contributer

Make your own chain adjustment spanner. Borrow one from another VFR owner, trace the outline onto a piece of .125 thick steel plate and carefully cut and file. It's a simple job. Then fill out the rest of the kit with locally sourced tools.

Make your own chain adjustment spanner. Borrow one from another VFR owner, trace the outline onto a piece of .125 thick steel plate and carefully cut and file. It's a simple job. Then fill out the rest of the kit with locally sourced tools.

Along those lines, here's a CAD drawing, and even advice on the various types of steel to select:

http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/42345-Made-my-own-rear-hub-spanner

If there is interest, I might be able to talk my buddy into setting up a CNC and cutting out a few in aluminum.

I have one in aluminum for my Ducati and it is more than strong enough.

The slim one piece is nice, too.

His shop is awesome... He currently makes all tourniquet handles used by most NATO military and all US military.

He has been looking for some side work to bring in some extra cash.

Ebay they are 19.00 -20.00.

No idea about bike junk yards, but if you find any let me know. I'm new to the bike world, but have loved just walkin around car junk yards for years.

Something like this place ??

post-3647-0-67987400-1455135667.jpg

post-3647-0-17513600-1455135831.jpg

post-3647-0-82517300-1455135934.jpg

post-3647-0-18347700-1455136047.jpg

• Member Contributer

The OEM tools are all listed in the microfiche, and Honda has used the same tools in various combinations for dozens of bikes over the last 30 years. When I wanted to replicate the missing OEM toolkit for my J-spec 1994 CBR250RR I simply bought a cheap OEM Honda toolkit on eBay (from a CB1000R, I think), then augmented those tools with the few that were missing (sourced from an old RC36 kit I had), and presto! I then had an OEM toolkit to shove under the seat and never look at again... :cool:

Ciao,

If there is interest, I might be able to talk my buddy into setting up a CNC and cutting out a few in aluminum.

I have one in aluminum for my Ducati and it is more than strong enough.

The slim one piece is nice, too.

His shop is awesome... He currently makes all tourniquet handles used by most NATO military and all US military.

He has been looking for some side work to bring in some extra cash.

Ebay they are 19.00 -20.00.

I'd be all for a group buy for the right price honestly. I'm used to it for parts for my old supra, they just don't make them anymore for such a low popularity car so i've had quite a few parts that i backed come through that i really love and wouldn't have been able to get otherwise. If he can come somewhere close to price and be a cooler piece, why not. Here is a pic of the ~$20 ebay aluminum ones you were talking about

xVZarErm.jpg

I'm going to see how big a pack i can toss under the seat in the stock slot, and try to cram some other tools in there along with a couple extras and spare clamps and doodads. This style should keep everything secured and from rattling around, along with being nice and easy to find if i do it right...

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/EDC-Pocket-Organizers-c121.htm

No idea about bike junk yards, but if you find any let me know. I'm new to the bike world, but have loved just walkin around car junk yards for years.

Something like this place ??

Uh yeah, that place is heaven. I did a search for local places and the two within a couple hour drive that i could find have closed up shop. Dang.

I ordered a toolkit for my '07 pretty much because I'm old school and wanted the pot metal tool kit for the hell of it. I was very surprised when I removed the sidecover on my '08 Suzuki and found a complete tool kit. Back in the days when all I could afford were old beat up bikes I was able to get my rats running on more than one occasion with the oft maligned tool kits. I have a collection of "real tools" so for me the factory tool kit is more of a trip down memory lane.

Archived