My Sebspeed Custom Clear Clutch Cover Experience

VifferCrab

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah... Cold rain in the DC Metro area the next couple of days, but I'll get to it.

Project: Clean the garage is in effect. The mess that's been there for the last two months because the bike has been apart, is unreal. Once I get that done, I'll even have a little room in there to snap some quickies and maybe a little video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

That red looks awesome. Tom showed me a blue that looks equally nice. Decisions, decisions!

For anyone who is considering this cool mod, I can powder coat the pressure plate in a variety of colors. Here are a couple of examples that I think would look nice:

20150516_171631_zpsiol1hbu4.jpg\

Metallic gold with super wet durable clearcoat

DirtBikeHubs_zps989a886c.jpg

Candy translucent blue

If you're interested, drop me a PM and we can discuss further.

Thanks,

Tom

Got a little bit of the garage cleaned up enough that I could throw the bike up on her dolly, which is one of the best things I've bought for the VFR, by the way.. I can slide her up between the SL and the messy shelving and trash cans with ease. :)

Few iPhone pics for now...

131d3e1611487dad604a12f20734a502.jpg

fa258d60cbba74574cc866d7cf5a3b0b.jpg

0f4e5cab31b5602714c7ee3a39475cba.jpg

0f8f278b0fb91b2fdcfa55432ab26244.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got that @ Harbor Freight?

Yes sir.

There's some real sweetness right there in those pic's!

Dave

Thank. They're dark over processed iPhone pics, but you get the idea. I've missed the turning of the leaves fall pics that I had lined up, but life could be worse, I suppose.

I like that dolly! On sale for $89 at HF and even less with a 20% off coupon. I see one in my future...

It's a ridiculous value. Moves around pretty freely 360* and when it's not in use, it actually fits perfectly under the SL600, between the wheelbase, so long as I have the hydraulic suspension raised up. That was an u expected bonus for storing it out of the way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

Looks great! Since you have been modding like crazy, are you at all considering swapping your signal lenses and taillight for the 06+ clear/smoked versions? The front lenses are a quick 5-min swap; the back is a little more complicated but there are a few different ways to do it and a few how-to's on here.

Looks great! Since you have been modding like crazy, are you at all considering swapping your signal lenses and taillight for the 06+ clear/smoked versions? The front lenses are a quick 5-min swap; the back is a little more complicated but there are a few different ways to do it and a few how-to's on here.

Thank you.

I'm open to changing almost anything and everything. A couple of people have mentioned the lens swap. As you mentioned, apparently the rear isn't plug and play. I'll do the research and see what's involved to see if it's worth it to me. Appreciate the input...

Looks good clutch work ?

Like a charm. :) Perfectly, actually.

Just got back from a chilly ride with my neighbor and his GSX-R 600. The Viffer performed flawlessly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

The rear fits fine if you swap the connectors for these:

http://prd.sws.co.jp/components/en/detail.php?number_s=61890891

http://www.cycleterminal.com/hx-series.html (light grey bottom rib connector)

I did this on my 2003 after the previous owner hacked up the OE connectors to fit, and my OCD just wouldn't let it lie.

• 5 weeks later...

All,

Finally got my clear clutch cover installed - Thanks to Seb for the high quality work and communication.

Once everything was buttoned up, I filled her with oil, but no start. I get a solid *CLICK* when I thumb the starter,

but she won't turn over.

I intentionally did not muck with anything beyond the cover and remove/replace the clutch pressure plate. I know

my limits.....

Replacing the right side cover was a bit challenging, as the two dowel pins and the solid shaft to the right of the clutch

basket didn't want to simultaneously line up smoothly. So, it took a few iterations to get the cover on with the new

gasket lined up correctly.

I confirmed that the clutch pressure plate turns when I roll the bike, and that there are no indications of an electrical issue.

I fear something is binding and not allowing the starter motor to turn.

Any ideas?

Also, since I figure I'll have to pull the right side cover, 1. is it true that I can do this with the bike on the side stand and not

drain the oil? and 2. I'll need another new gasket, right?

Thanks all.....

Varsity

If you put the bike on the side stand, you will not need to drain the oil.

The gasket should be fine. If you don't rip it when you pull the cover, you can reuse it.

Sounds like the starter gear could be bound up - maybe that's why the dowels wouldn't line up perfectly?

Take some pics when you get it apart?

There's a chance your battery could be low, if you didn't have it on a charger while the cover was off. Give that a rest before you take anything apart.

• 4 weeks later...

If you put the bike on the side stand, you will not need to drain the oil.

The gasket should be fine. If you don't rip it when you pull the cover, you can reuse it.

Sounds like the starter gear could be bound up - maybe that's why the dowels wouldn't line up perfectly?

Take some pics when you get it apart?

There's a chance your battery could be low, if you didn't have it on a charger while the cover was off. Give that a rest before you take anything apart.

Whoops, sorry for the double post. Finally took off the cover. Nothing is obviously bound. Will try to attach pics.post-33427-0-74214700-1453670300.jpegpost-33427-0-31861000-1453670319.jpegpost-33427-0-14655200-1453670331.jpeg

OK, got it figured out....will post on the off chance that someone else is as unlucky/inept as I. Battery was never the issue..plenty of juice.

when I first removed the cover eons ago to send off for upgrade, I must have pulled out the cylindrical shaft upon which the reduction gear

is mounted. The reduction gear is the one dead center of pics 1 and 3 above. It rides on a shaft AND has a washer (shown resting just below

where the shaft would sit (shaft not shown in photos).

When I initially put it back together, the shaft wasn't properly seated--that's why mounting the cover was such a bear.

After removing/replacing a cover to reassess a couple of times--and finally looking carefully at the schematic in my manual, I discovered that

the washer lives *behind* the reduction gear. It had fallen out and I mistakenly placed in outboard/in front of the gear.

Once the washer was placed behind the gear and the shaft was fully seated, everything went together fine and she fired right up.

Cheers,

Varsity

• Member Contributer

That washer the obvious clue, but by the time you posted the pictures, I was sound asleep :-)

Archived