My Sebspeed Custom Clear Clutch Cover Experience

VifferCrab

• Member Contributer

I learned my lesson concerning low torque values and aluminum parts. After fiddling with click stop torque wrenches I finally realized that only a higher end wrench would end the cringing as you tighten routine. I purchased a CDI 502LDFNSS wrench that goes 0 to 50 lbs. in 1 pound increments. No more snapping sound nightmares and now I sleep tight (pun intended).

post-24160-0-20982500-1447293534.jpg

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I learned my lesson concerning low torque values and aluminum parts. After fiddling with click stop torque wrenches I finally realized that only a higher end wrench would end the cringing as you tighten routine. I purchased a CDI 502LDFNSS wrench that goes 0 to 50 lbs. in 1 pound increments. No more snapping sound nightmares and now I sleep tight (pun intended).

+1 I have the same one .

• Member Contributer

Now that must have cost a pretty penny!

But when prevent a 1 hour job from turning into 2 days they are worth every cent.

• Member Contributer

Crab,

If you start riding with it for the first time and you see a sludge on the inside of the window, donot panic, this is normal and will clear after a while.

• Member Contributer

Torque wrenches can save the day!

I love mine:

TECH2FR100.jpg

Not to hijack the thread but an important 2c about correct torque. When I first started working on my own bikes I insisted that I had a calibrated elbow. Never used a torque wrench. Had lots of mechanical disasters (oh the stories) but none were torque related. Except maybe for learning the value of an impact screwdriver with a good JIS bit. After stripping a screw head. LOL. At which point I was also shown how a soft propane flame, a Dremel and a good blade driver bit can help.

Then when I had my 4th gen VFR, I went through a recurring issue with the big upper bolts that secure the rear subframe loosening up. Thanks, NYC road "maintenance". So I would crank 'em "farmer tight" and a few months later I could feel the back moving around again. Then one day a good friend put his nice Snap-On digital torque wrench in my hand and looked up the correct values. Which felt like half the torque I had been applying previously. And the bolts never came loose again. Seems un-intuitive, right?

So this same friend of mine - who happens to have been an auto mechanics instructor and owned his own shop for a while - has been letting me use his garage. Nice to have a pneumatic lift, a loaded Snap-On cabinet and good tire and balancing machines. :cool: (Which reminds me, I think I need to get an adapter for the balancer for my 8th gen wheel.) But anyway, we hang out in his garage while I try not to f*** up what I'm doing too badly, he gives me advice where necessary (teach a man to fish), and the big thing: He insists on precise torque for pretty much every fastener on the bike.

And now that I've been using a torque wrench, I'm pretty sure that "calibrated elbow" of mine was about 50%-75% on the high side! Yikes. If my friend ever moves I may just have to buy my own torque wrench...

• Member Contributer

Torque wrenches do not have to be the click type or dial type as the beam type (generally cheaper ) will do the job as well just a little more difficult to use .

• Member Contributer

I have a Snap-On click style myself, but honestly even the harbor freight ones do a good enough job and come in like 4 sizes. I realize we all adore our bikes, but they arent military aircraft.

Nope, but realizing I was putting, say, 60 ft-lbs on a bolt that was spec'd for 35, is not a small error and not guaranteed to be inconsequential. And if the failure happens when you're mid-corner at 2-1/2 times the posted recommended speed, well...

Crab,

If you start riding with it for the first time and you see a sludge on the inside of the window, donot panic, this is normal and will clear after a while.

Yeah, I read enough threads to not be alarmed about that. And sure enough, it fogged up on its maiden voyage, I was ready for it.

Thanks for the heads up though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for sharing VC.

Any answer on the lug nuts????

Haven't inquired yet, to be honest...

I have a Snap-On click style myself, but honestly even the harbor freight ones do a good enough job and come in like 4 sizes. I realize we all adore our bikes, but they arent military aircraft.

Nope, but realizing I was putting, say, 60 ft-lbs on a bolt that was spec'd for 35, is not a small error and not guaranteed to be inconsequential. And if the failure happens when you're mid-corner at 2-1/2 times the posted recommended speed, well...

oh totally agree. just saying to those with a tighter budget, a less expensive option will at least get you well within acceptable tolerances.

Member tomk1960 came through again. After my debacle, I overnighted him another pressure plate. He did his thing and overnighted it back. Should have this beauty back on the road tomorrow. Clutch discs in proper alignment this time for sure.

092b7bcec110e8667b99710e199292d0.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Should have this beauty back on the road tomorrow.

I'm from VA originally, so I know your ridin' time is slippin' away fast. I usually put mine up around Halloween when I lived there. I can feel the seconds slipping away from you as you try to get it out for "one more ride." Good luck getting out there soon...

Greg, the weather here for the last month has been so unseasonably warm. It's been killing me that I haven't been able to get out there. Gonna be about 60* during the afternoon today and tomorrow, so I'm even gonna take the day off today, so I can wait for the post lady and get this thing buttoned up, just to have a ride this afternoon. Not making that up.

My lovely wife has been throwing jabs at me about not being able to enjoy the last couple weeks that were in the upper 70s and low 80s on a few days.

So weird that she was so pissed when I bought it. After her very first ride, that she did begrudgingly, I can't keep her off the damn thing. Funny how that works....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep. Same reason I have. Got tired of waiting on parts etc with one bike. Now, if somethings down for repair or customizing or whatever, even if it's a month or more, there's another to ride. Plus, you get calls like "I'm off for a week and I'm flying to CA and taking something out of your garage, and I'll bring it back whenever I damn well please, with worn tires and an empty tank. You are welcome to join me if you like." and be able to accomodate these so-called friends.

• Member Contributer

There is an easy solution to your problem - own multiple bikes! Evidently you don't suffer from MBS...yet. :wink:

Strange, we both live in "Worcester" and suffer from the same syndrome :wink:

Yeah, a second bike seems like a reasonable solution.

Hey look! Got something in the mail. One of these has less cracks than the other. Weird.

Amazing customer service and lightning fast turnaround on the powdercoat, Tom.

Thanks again.

Let's try this again....

52ad9b6cdb8374a922439254cf68e26b.jpg

• Member Contributer

There is an easy solution to your problem - own multiple bikes! Evidently you don't suffer from MBS...yet. :wink:

Strange, we both live in "Worcester" and suffer from the same syndrome :wink:

We're obviously twin sons of different mothers. And neighbors as well!

Tense moment tightening everything down. As you can imagine, I was a little gun shy about torquing everything down again. But before any of that could take place, I had to message Seb yet again. The pressure plate wasn't backing right up against the last clutch disc as I remember it being. There was a large gap there, even though the bearing was completely seated, no matter how much effort I gave it, by pushing it in by hand, to snug up. A message to Seb confirmed that the gap was not supposed to be there. Since I had the broken pressure plate, I decided to put that one on, and see if the stock bolts would reach the threads, and sure enough they did. Very slowly I started running them in, and I saw the gap closing up. Figured I was in the clear, so pulled those back out, swapped in the new plate, and very very slowly, in a star pattern, ran the aftermarket bolts in.

Sigh of relief. It's back together! Took it for about an hour ride today and I can report it didn't blow up, and the clutch no longer slips.

I'll get some proper pics soon, but here's a pic of the gap. For those doing this, don't worry, just run the bolts back in and you should be good.

56c240169bf80b33851cb251df3487a5.jpg

Archived