Which Used Vfr Would You Lean Toward?

dahved

Hello, everybody.

I'm new to the forum here, and that's because I'd like to get back on a VFR. I had an '87 years ago, and I'm shopping around for used models under $4K.

I've found:

2003, 34K miles for $2650 - looks pretty good from pics, older owner, Scorpion exhaust, no maintenance records

2002, 41K miles for $2500 - original owner, Honda dealer work, needs rear tire replaced

2004, 27K miles for $3600 - with OEM hard bags, Staintune exhaust

Thoughts? What should I look for when checking these out?

Thanks.

When people ask "what to look for" we do not know where your are starting from mentally. Have you been away too long and can't remember much or maybe today you fix all of your vehicles and inspection is easy for you, and you want to know only about special problems on these particular bikes. With that in mind I'll just do my current brain dump and you can pick and choose :)

No maintenance records is a bad sign. Do they have a good excuse? "I did everything myself and it is perfect." After you get the story then you yield to your inspection. Not only should the charging system be to spec and fluids crystal clear, but go one level deeper and look for prior signs of neglect. The master cylinder, is it stained dark below the fluid line? Any crystallization in there? If yes then you know the prior fluid sat too long. There is a good chance the same hardened fluid that stained the cylinder is still in the caliper. Put it on the center stand. Do you get a couple spins of the wheel (check the spec I think 2 spins but unsure) Or is the brake binding? There is your confirmation. Add to the list a caliper rebuild, clean/inspect pistons and seals, wipe the cylinders clean, flush & purge. Start the negotiation at a figure that subtracts double your time/cash for this stuff, especially on the bike with no records. Because if you find one item, there will be more to address once you get in there.

Then there is a valve check. Did the vigilent Honda guy inspect and check the valves? If yes, this is an expensive inspection, and more expensive if they required adjustment (all day labor.) So I would weigh that heavily. He has all receipts and the valve adjustment? Probably a meticulous owner, because a lot of people never inspect the valves.

The bags are nice but the 2004 is expensive. If you think you might want bags now or in the future, I might inspect the bike with bags first. If the inspection passes, get the guy's lowest price. Whatever it is tell him the price is high and you appreciate his time, but you need to check out another bike first.

I am torn on the 2nd bike to look at. Is there a color difference or other preference you may have? If the 2002 has records on everything, that is a great reference to have moving forward. On the other hand, the 2003 has lots of miles, meaning it has probably been maintained because the guy was riding it. So if the inspection comes out perfect, then the maintenance records on the 2002 are not as big a deal. Then you go, Yellow vs. Red and pick your preference?

Now as far as inspection, again I do not know where you are coming from. Look at what this guy wrote up recently to help us all out:

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/blog/238/entry-553-so-you-wanna-buy-a-bike-what-to-do-when-you-show-up-at-joe-schmoes-house-with-some-cash-in-your-pocket/

Test the engine at 5% throttle (barely open) around 3500-4000, just when the butterfly opens. Does it kick and buck? Needs starter valves synched. Not a huge deal, but a negotiable item and maintenance item they ignored.

I think these years had a harness recall which you expect all of them to have done. You can ask for VINs in advance and check all 3 out at once with the dealer. Knowing if there is a recall and if it was done will give you a strategic advantage before even meeting the owner.

This 6th gen bike has VTEC which is overly complex and adds no power. Also the 5th gen has the gear driven cam which has that supercharger-like whine that I suspect your old one had? With this in mind, have you considered the '98-'00 5th gen model instead of these?

All of the bikes are old enough where the connections are corroded, heating up, and maybe causing micro-sparks across the contacts. Once you pick up a bike I suggest you pull apart all electrical connections, ground terminal blocks, and non-sealed switches. Inspect them, and replace anything that is black or partially melted. Spray the connections with contact cleaner, and brush significant corrosion off. Now you are ready to go 10 more years without getting stranded because some ground contacts have been on the fritz for years.

• Member Contributer

Don't count out the 5th gen, pretty much the same bike, better engine :) :wheel:

Those are some decent prices you have compare to Canada. The same bikes here would be close to double that. What would a clean 98-01 cost you?

Haha, Knight beat me to it. Great minds think alike. And they drive 5th gens :)

By the way 5th gen covers 98,99,00,01 with the first two years being catless and having a manual cold start "choke". The second two years have catalytic converter, stainless exhaust, and an auto cold start wax unit.

Don't count out the 5th gen, pretty much the same bike, better engine :) :wheel:

Those are some decent prices you have compare to Canada. The same bikes here would be close to double that. What would a clean 98-01 cost you?

Haha, Knight beat me to it. Great minds think alike. And they drive 5th gens :)

By the way 5th gen covers 98,99,00,01 with the first two years being catless and having a manual cold start "choke". The second two years have catalytic converter, stainless exhaust, and an auto cold start wax unit.

Yea yea yea good point, not a deal breaker but might as well look for the one without the cat.

"Great minds think alike. And they drive 5th gens"

May I get two of those t-shirts please, one in red and one in yellow?

• Member Contributer

Where in Florida?

Links to the classified ads for the three VFRs you mentioned?

I'm new to the forum here, and that's because I'd like to get back on a VFR.

Thanks for all the replies!

Knight, you really went above and beyond with your write-up; thanks very much! (I like 'em in red or yellow, I think.)

I most recently had an CBR1000 Hurricane, that had not been running anymore. I've always like the VFRs, and do sometimes think the styling on the 5th gen is more attractive. I've found a couple of those, but the prices aren't lower, although I'm all for less complexity.

I'd really like having some hard bags for sport-touring, but maybe I can find some deals on those later after buying one without them.

I'm leaning toward the 2003 with 34K miles.

Thanks again for your thoughts, all.

Where in Florida?

Links to the classified ads for the three VFRs you mentioned?

I'm new to the forum here, and that's because I'd like to get back on a VFR.

I'm in the Orlando area.

Yellow 2000: http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/mcy/5169304496.html

Red 2002 http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/mcy/5223832036.html

Red 2004 with bags https://spacecoast.craigslist.org/mcy/5198195833.html

• Member Contributer

Jes I thought you said you had one 87 years ago!!! as has been said a good 5th gen if you can find one would be my tip if you're buying a vfr.

(I like 'em in red or yellow, I think.)

This is funny you listed both of these wanna know why? Because the major debate is which is faster and better, red or yellow :cheerleader:

And no matter which one you choose, when you see the opposite one, it will always stun you, and you will briefly second guess every decision you have ever made.

• Member Contributer

Orlando -- so not too far and some of the bikes you're looking at are in my area (Tampa). Ping me if you want a second set of eyeballs when/if you go look at the bikes over here. I'm not a mechanic but I've rehabilitated both a 2002 and a 2000 VFR.

There's a really low mileage 2002 that is just over your $4K limit: http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/mcy/5208708042.html

Now that I think about it, a friend of mine may be selling a 6th gen VFR. I'll ask him for details.

• Member Contributer

Personally I wouldn't be put off by no maintenance records from a shop / dealership. Plenty of members here do their own service / mods / repairs and probably know more about these bikes than a dealership mechanic would. A conscientious owner will record what they do though - and talking with them should fairly quickly reveal how the bike's been cared for. Its appearance will also give some clues to whether maintenance was high on the owner's list of priorities.

Regarding luggage, finding matching luggage is getting difficult if not impossible for some colors, however some still seem to be available new. If you want hard bags color matched, having them with the bike might be worth a bit extra rather than combing the internet hoping to find a set for sale. I bought my 2008 in 2010 and had to get my topcase from Europe, as it was not available in the U.S. in that color.

I'm also in the "don't overlook a 5th gen camp" - unless you want factory matched bags or ABS, a 5th gen is a great choice.

• Member Contributer

I would go with the yellow 5th gen unless having factory hard bags is your concern. You can always fit Givi luggage to the Y2k. They aren't as attractive as the Honda Givi luggage but get the job done.

As an owner of both 5th and 6th gens, If I had to choose between them and only keep one I would keep my 5th gen. To me the 5th gen was my first VFR love and embodies what I call "the spirit of the VFR", more so than the 6th gen due to the VTEC engine.

Orlando -- so not too far and some of the bikes you're looking at are in my area (Tampa). Ping me if you want a second set of eyeballs when/if you go look at the bikes over here. I'm not a mechanic but I've rehabilitated both a 2002 and a 2000 VFR.

There's a really low mileage 2002 that is just over your $4K limit: http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/mcy/5208708042.html

Now that I think about it, a friend of mine may be selling a 6th gen VFR. I'll ask him for details.

I'm headed over to Clearwater tomorrow. Should be there about 11 to look at a 2003 with 34,000 miles!

Don't forget to show it off with some pictures when you get the chance!

and a introduction post .

What's an introduction post? Like, who I am, how long riding, how cool it is to have a bike again?

Archived