Harris Performance Rear Hugger 5Gen

paladinreed

• Member Contributer

Really looking into huggers and the market is not very captivating on the 5 gen. Does anyone have suggestions beyond the typical ebay stuff?

Looked into Harris stuff but it would seem they are out of business? Can anyone confirm or deny this? UK based, I know that.

I sent them an email through their customer portal to no avail.

Need input on my options.

Thanks vfrd!

• Member Contributer

Harris are still trading although they have been taken over by Royal Enfield (India).

I bought a Harris Carbon Fibre hugger for my Fi this spring from NWS. (UK based, easily found via google)

ISTR they had to order it and I waited about three weeks.

Fantastic bit of kit. Love it. Not cheap though, approx £130

• Member Contributer

Good timing on this post, I am having the same dilemma and get a bit aggravated at the lack of options, the quality of what is available, and pricing.

A couple years ago I purchased Red Fox huggers for my '07 RWB and '01. The one on my '07 split within a year and a few thousand miles, so I am done with Red Fox. Their product is garbage.

So then I was looking at Skidmarx but not really enjoying working with the US distributor, "Streetfightersbydesign". They seem to be really inflating their prices.

http://www.streetfightersbydesign.com/streetweb/contact_page/contact_pg.htm

From looking at the Skidmarx website, they are 85 pounds which translates to $130 USD. The US distributor quoted me $165 plus another $20 for shipping. For a piece of plastic, that's absurd.

http://www.skidmarx.co.uk/honda/40444-honda-vfr800-98-01-rear-hugger-grp.html

I would be interested in the Harris hugger but would prefer black over carbon. Pyramid was another option that i have seen but can't seem to find a US distributor. Does anyone have any info on Pyramid? Quality? Pricing? Where to get them?

• Member Contributer

Skidmarx is a solidly built part, mines 2 years old and still looks almost new, no cracks or splits, about 15K miles on it. Had no issues working with Streetfighters by Design, price 2 years ago was $165 w/ $15 shipping.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the feedback Capn. I have heard that the quality was very good.

My issue is the US distributor's pricing, I am not sure why there is a $30 markup from british pounds to US dollars because that takes into account the currency conversion. They are going to order my huggers (I requested two, one for my '07 and my '00), and it will take several weeks to arrive from overseas. its not like they are just ordering one or two for me. I am sure they are ordering several at a time and shipping them by ocean freight to save cost. Makes sense, no issues there. I have some background in logistics and product distribution, so I really am at a loss as to where their $30 markup is coming from. I guess it feels a bit like price gouging to me.

My issue is the US distributor's pricing, I am not sure why there is a $30 markup from british pounds to US dollars because that takes into account the currency conversion. They are going to order my huggers (I requested two, one for my '07 and my '00), and it will take several weeks to arrive from overseas. its not like they are just ordering one or two for me. I am sure they are ordering several at a time and shipping them by ocean freight to save cost. Makes sense, no issues there. I have some background in logistics and product distribution, so I really am at a loss as to where their $30 markup is coming from. I guess it feels a bit like price gouging to me.

I have no dog in this fight, but a $30 mark-up on a $130 retail item from distributor to seller is actually very little.

• Member Contributer

Thats not the markup for the product, that's HIS markup on top of the exchange rate. Do you think that the distributor is paying what I pay?

• Member Contributer

Pyramid was another option that i have seen but can't seem to find a US distributor. Does anyone have any info on Pyramid? Quality? Pricing? Where to get them?

I'm running the Pyramid, although its possible that the design has changed since I got mine. First photo is as is installed. It is ABS plastic and a bit heavy to support its own weight. Rubs the tire a little. Last 2 photos is where I decided to cut it in half. Not as pretty now, but more functional and less trouble. Its ok, but I wouldnt buy it again.

rear_right_and_mufflerH.jpg

Left%20side%20cutdown_zpss9tmg5at.jpg

Right%20side%20cutdown_zpsg3ltjzv1.jpg

• Member Contributer

Considered that one but I'm not using the original chain guard and I read it is indeed flimsy. I have one made up I cut out of an old chopper fender. But it was flimsy too so I was considering purchasing.

A lot of the time smaller distributors don't carry much stock, so they order as they go.

And they need to make some money on the deal, if they aren't buying much stock, they aren't getting much discount off retail, so the only way to make money is to charge more.

Why not buy direct from the manufacturer?

And don't forget, the Aus dollar is pretty low at the moment, and Geelong carbon craft make some great stuff.my 2000 model had a GCC Carbon guard on the tank when I bought it 4 or so years ago, apart from the sticker being faded, it still looks good. Judging by how hard it was to take off when I plasti dipped the tank the other day, it was on there a good few years before I bought the bike, baked on double sided tape and incredibly glossy red paint under it.

• Member Contributer

Skidmarx doesn't sell direct to the US, so you have to go through the reseller. Assuming he's paying $130, $35 doesn't seem out of the ordinary for the initial shipment cost from the UK, his time, payment processing, web site cost, a little profit, etc. It's a low volume product. $20 shipment within the US for such a big box isn't unreasonable these days, just mho.

Definitely use locktite on all the bolts, they do have a tendency to vibrate out otherwise.

Pyramid are just 15 miles away from where I live, they are based in Gainsborough Lincolnshire.

I had a Pyramid on my 750FP but it broke around the hole that the tiewrap goes through to hold it onto the swingarm and it rubbed on the tyre as I run a 180 section rear.

Replaced it with a Skidmarx that I had to wait for.

Not sure about the quality of Pyramid for the Fi, but they are pricey.

Bite the bullet, get a Harris, great fit and great quality

• Member Contributer

There is also Geelong Carbon Craft.

http://www.geelongcarboncraft.com.au/products/VFR800-1998%252d2001--Rear-Hugger-Mudguard-with-Chain-Guard.html

Not inexpensive . . . but it is an alternative.

WOW, those guys are quite proud of their stuff.........But at the rate the Aus dollar is sinking.....

• Member Contributer

We did a group buy on the Skidmarkx. I think the end result was a bit mixed. Some people were happy, others thought they could have been better. I have yet to mount mine, but looking it over I thought it was good.

$30 for shipping across the pond isn't bad. Remember that it will be shipped in a somehwat large box.

It seem like it's a common problem, this rubbing on the rear tire with these rear huggers.

One possible solution might be to add some sort of aluminum or stainless steel stiffener along the top centerline of the hugger, similar to what one sees on some motocross bike front fenders.

One can make those look pretty nice with a fine brushed finish an some carefully located lightening holes and such.....

• Member Contributer

Just got an email from Harris. They said they still stock these but shipping to the US is roughly the same price as the product?? Jesus. You think they'd have better distribution for these.

It seem like it's a common problem, this rubbing on the rear tire with these rear huggers.

One possible solution might be to add some sort of aluminum or stainless steel stiffener along the top centerline of the hugger, similar to what one sees on some motocross bike front fenders.

One can make those look pretty nice with a fine brushed finish an some carefully located lightening holes and such.....

I bought some crappy hugger from an ex-member on here; (can't remember the brand), and in order to make it fit properly and not flap around, I did something similar to what you've proposed. I made up a simple bracket from aluminum bar, about 1/8" thick by ~1" wide, and about 8" long. Bent an angle in it, and a curve to match the hugger, then tapped a hole in the swingarm (Shock! Horror!!) and bolted to to that with a s/steel bolt and loctite, and riveted it to the hugger.

It's been on now for years, and works well. Like all huggers (?), occasionally a stone or bit of debris will be picked up by the tyre and rattles around before being ejected, but it's no big deal.

Archived