Anyone Have Something Positive On The Vfr1200?

aks801

• Member Contributer

I have 2 bikes in the shed I will never sell barring financial disaster as someone said,the 5th gen and the ST1100, I'd like another bike in the adventure type mould,now if those bloodly lotto numbers would just come up :goofy:

I think I've only seen one VFR 1200 around here in the last few years and we get lots of bikes passing through touring the 'wild Atlantic way'

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Member Contributer

I have 2 bikes in the shed I will never sell barring financial disaster as someone said,the 5th gen and the ST1100, I'd like another bike in the adventure type mould,now if those bloodly lotto numbers would just come up :goofy:

I think I've only seen one VFR 1200 around here in the last few years and we get lots of bikes passing through touring the 'wild Atlantic way'

I saw one last week in Switzerland! It was on the back of a breakdown truck! Also spoke to an Italian guy who had one that he bought new in 2012 that went back to the dealer with swarf in the oil pan. Honda put a new engine in no questions asked. He then sold the bike.

So let me get this right. I spend approx $21000 in UK and then spend another load of money correcting all of its faults. Then i get a bike that does everything my 5th gen does except its faster which i could never use here. Honda dealer, here i come! :schla15::schla15::schla15:

Let me get this right. You can buy it here in US for about $10k and have an excellent allrounder bike with LOTS of power and torque that can be used in moderation.

If you want to use all of the power and torque, I'm afraid that autobahn or track are the only options. 100+ mph in my state will get you trip to jail.

• Member Contributer

So let me get this right. I spend approx $21000 in UK and then spend another load of money correcting all of its faults. Then i get a bike that does everything my 5th gen does except its faster which i could never use here. Honda dealer, here i come! :schla15::schla15::schla15:

The 1200 is not simply faster than the 5th gen. It's much much faster, brakes much much better, the front end is far superior, the shaft drive is smooth and needs no adjustment or oiling. It is, simply put, a massive improvement as a sports tourer over the 5th gen. Now, don't get me wrong, I still have my 5th gen. I love the thing and will keep it forever barring financial disaster. But it can't do what the 1200 can and it's motor, as good as it is, can't compete with the sheer delight of the power delivery of the 12. I had to do exactly the same things to my 5th gen before I was completely satisfied with its handling and felt I'd got the most out of it as I've done to my 1200. Yes, the 12 needs some upgrades if it is to satisfy the committed and experienced rider, just as the 5th and 6th gen bikes and all those before that, did.

I don't get the constant criticism of the 1200. Honda made a bigger shaft drive VFR just like everyone said they should and as soon as they delivered it people wanted to kill it!!! Meanwhile, they happily continued to modify every other new bike that rolled out of the showrooms. Go figure!!!

/the end

• Member Contributer

If you want to use all of the power and torque, I'm afraid that autobahn or track are the only options. 100+ mph in my state will get you trip to jail.

+1 over here as well.

• Member Contributer

You clearly don't know the right roads m8

Oiii... we can make an olympic size pool worth of vinegar from all the sour grapes here.

I get you 90deg VFR fans just absolutely hate Honda for giving us the VFR1200, but hey... you got your beloved 800 back. Why are y'all still sucking on this one? Developed a taste for rotten fruit? :491:

• Member Contributer

Oiii... we can make an olympic size pool worth of vinegar from all the sour grapes here.

I get you 90deg VFR fans just absolutely hate Honda for giving us the VFR1200, but hey... you got your beloved 800 back. Why are y'all still sucking on this one? Developed a taste for rotten fruit? :491:

I one of the one's that wanted the 1000cc RC211 But you guys have great bike and you like it that's all that matters. I'm not slamming the bike . I am thinking about starting a thread about where did Honda go wrong with the VFR or what generation did Honda go backwards on with VFR, Me personally the 5gen should have had USD fork.

Roll On ..

I one of the one's that wanted the 1000cc RC211 But you guys have great bike and you like it that's all that matters. I'm not slamming the bike . I am thinking about starting a thread about where did Honda go wrong with the VFR or what generation did Honda go backwards on with VFR, Me personally the 5gen should have had USD fork.

Roll On ..

You know... the 8th gen has been out for more than 1yr, but I have not once felt the need to step foot in an 8th gen forum to tell the owners what I really think of it. :cool: Life to too short to jab other riders in the eye, man. Enjoy what you like and let others do the same.

Not speaking for every VFR1200 owner here, but I have zero interest in the 90deg VFRs. I believe your voice is much better valued in the 1st. 2nd, 3rd,... 5th ,..., 8th gen forums. :fing02:

I just got of my 2013 VFR1200 ran the last week all over hells half acre, never was close to the first bike looking for gas, never had anything thrown at me that the little DCT 1200 couldn't handle, and managed to keep up with every other piece of iron in the group without the 1200 breaking a sweat. Let's face it the VFR1200 is a steal at the current prices that you can get them for, they are dependable, give a great ride and will take you anywhere you want to go, pretty darn well. It's almost time for the nay sayers to move on, and they should be happy Honda just put out the new improved 800 VFR's (heck this should be Nuff said). Why don't we have a debate on the new 800 VFRs and the old VFR1200's after all I can pick up a new older 1200 VFR for less than the new improved 800.

Two weeks ago I traded in a 2014 Interceptor for a new still in the crate 2012 GEN 7. The 800 had 6K miles on it since last fall. The new bike now has 2,100 miles on the clock. Yesterday I rode it from a campground along the Chief Joseph Scenic Byway over Bear Tooth Pass to Red Lodge MT and back home to Colorado. In all, the day's ride covered just over 600 miles in mostly rainy conditions. I had planned to camp another night somewhere in Wyoming, but I was not enthusiastic about setting up camp in the rain. I doubt that the Interceptor would have let me travel so far comfortably. The suspension on the 1200 is better for longer rides, the passing power even in 6th gear is unbelievable and wind buffeting from passing semi trucks and campers on two lane highways at 150 mph closing speeds is minimal. I also believe that the 1200 is better in the twistys. Sure it's heavier than the 800, but only by 65 lbs., the additional horsepower and better brakes make a big difference all around. Also during the entire trip the bike averaged over 50 MPG, not much less than the Interceptor. What more could you want from a sports tourer? I'll be heading out again soon. I'm going back up to Wyoming to ride Hwy 70 (again) and Hwy130 in the Encampment/Riverside area.

P1110272.tiff

• Member Contributer

I just got of my 2013 VFR1200 ran the last week all over hells half acre, never was close to the first bike looking for gas, never had anything thrown at me that the little DCT 1200 couldn't handle, and managed to keep up with every other piece of iron in the group without the 1200 breaking a sweat. Let's face it the VFR1200 is a steal at the current prices that you can get them for, they are dependable, give a great ride and will take you anywhere you want to go, pretty darn well. It's almost time for the nay sayers to move on, and they should be happy Honda just put out the new improved 800 VFR's (heck this should be Nuff said). Why don't we have a debate on the new 800 VFRs and the old VFR1200's after all I can pick up a new older 1200 VFR for less than the new improved 800.

Yeah maybe .

Keep Rollingl On 11,000 post on one of my favorite topic's. :goofy:

Hi there, I have had my VFR1200 for 18 months. Only mods an Akrapovic exhaust. Before this I rode an Aprilia RST Futura 1000 and V- Max Yamaha. I think people do not realise how good the VFR is.

Let’s get away from initiail high new price, we all buy used. I am fortunate to have access to some roads near where I live in South Africa that go through mountains and there are no cops on a weekend, so we go racing and not riding. This bike is fast and effortless and the build quality is good. I would not bother with suspension upgrades unless you seriously doing track days. I believe that the average rider cannot extract all the potential of this bike. At 200km/hr and higher around corners this bike is solid; my previous Aprilia also handled well but did not have the brute power this bike has.

Yes, I would love a F4 or Panigale, but I cannot ride on my wrists (50+ plus arthritis), my VFR bike is the perfect compromise. If you go and read forums on Italian bikes you will be quite shocked at all the mods you have to do before the bike is sorted, I am talking about some bad engineering, electrics, fuel systems, etc. The Honda has minimal issues. And yes you do not walk up to the Honda with the same wow feeling as an Italian beauty, but you know it is not going to fail you.

I think I will hang on to mine for some time.

Here is a little positive blurb that hasn't been mentioned. I just did my oil change and final drive oil change last night. The belly fairing on this thing is brilliant. Two bolts on each side and some clips. No more of those maddening "puch in the middle and break the clip" thingy's. Oil filter on the side for easy access and you won't burn your arms on the headers. The drain plug is a bit odd and the oil shoots out pretty far, but now that I know that it will make things easier in the future. If I didn't have my daughters helping me, I am betting it would have only been a 20 minute job from start to finish!

I am just finding clever little things they have thought about when making this bike.

• Member Contributer

Here here also yeah that’s the way it always starts out one group trying to control the rest and then the site becomes a mess .

That’s exactly why I post in ANY thread I desire to . Don’t really care whether you want me to or not. I will post my thoughts on any thread I want to, the beauty of this site is it’s member . Up until now never had a problem but in the last couple weeks I have had a indivual modify my post WITHOUT my permission and had a group try to pressure me into NOT posting about a subject that I have extensive knowledge . Not only do I help whenever I can I also support this site with generous contribuation.

Sorry did not spell check.

ROLL ON VFRD FOREVER !!!

• Member Contributer

Here here also yeah that’s the way it always starts out one group trying to control the rest and then the site becomes a mess .

That’s exactly why I post in ANY thread I desire to . Don’t really care whether you want me to or not. I will post my thoughts on any thread I want to, the beauty of this site is it’s member . Up until now never had a problem but in the last couple weeks I have had a indivual modify my post WITHOUT my permission and had a group try to pressure me into NOT posting about a subject that I have extensive knowledge . Not only do I help whenever I can I also support this site with generous contribuation.

ROLL ON VFRD FOREVER !!!

No

Bud, you post whatever and wherever you want

• Member Contributer

ROLL ON VFRD FOREVER !!!

No

Bud, you post whatever and wherever you want

Thank you sir .you are a patriot and a gentleman .

Roll On VFRD ..

• Member Contributer

The US spec $185,000 RC213V has to lug around 3.76 lbs per horsepower - DRY!

The $15,000 VFR1200 only has to lug around 3.42 lbs per horsepower - WET, ready to ride!

Seems like the bargain of the century to me....................

Well I like the bike and want to get one. I see 2010 m/t with around 4000 miles and luggage for 7500.00.

A v4 shaftie that can sport tour? I thought it was a great bike when it came out and really like the look of it.

I just do not pay MSRP for any bike and have been waiting for them to come down. Darn shame they stopped bringing it here to the states.

To me the 1200 is just a big v4 shafty sport tourer. I do not have the same expectations as an 800cc bike with a shorter wheel base and less weight. Or less power.

I have 8 motorcycles right now if I include the 5th gen project bike. The 1200 will be a nice addition when I get it.

Well I like the bike and want to get one. I see 2010 m/t with around 4000 miles and luggage for 7500.00.

You need to buy that bike...that is a STEAL for what you will get!

• Member Contributer

Two weeks ago I traded in a 2014 Interceptor for a new still in the crate 2012 GEN 7. The 800 had 6K miles on it since last fall. The new bike now has 2,100 miles on the clock. Yesterday I rode it from a campground along the Chief Joseph Scenic Byway over Bear Tooth Pass to Red Lodge MT and back home to Colorado. In all, the day's ride covered just over 600 miles in mostly rainy conditions. I had planned to camp another night somewhere in Wyoming, but I was not enthusiastic about setting up camp in the rain. I doubt that the Interceptor would have let me travel so far comfortably. The suspension on the 1200 is better for longer rides, the passing power even in 6th gear is unbelievable and wind buffeting from passing semi trucks and campers on two lane highways at 150 mph closing speeds is minimal. I also believe that the 1200 is better in the twistys. Sure it's heavier than the 800, but only by 65 lbs., the additional horsepower and better brakes make a big difference all around. Also during the entire trip the bike averaged over 50 MPG, not much less than the Interceptor. What more could you want from a sports tourer? I'll be heading out again soon. I'm going back up to Wyoming to ride Hwy 70 (again) and Hwy130 in the Encampment/Riverside area.

I debated between the new 800 and a used 1200. Not having the opportunity to ride the new 800 but hearing this feedback from a former owner makes me think that I made the right decision for me. That's not to say the new 800 is a bad bike or that I wouldn't own one some day. But for now the VFR1200 is exactly what I want. I just bought one recently and love it.

And I saved about $5,000 over a new 800! That's a lot of mods!

Archived