Anyone Have Something Positive On The Vfr1200?

aks801

• Member Contributer

Put a full twisty tank through my 1200 yesterday. Bike's perfect aside from being hard to put in neutral once in a while. Think once I go Amsoil in it that it will go away. Had some Rotella leftover so using it for the summer.

I'm convinced biggest improvements were fork suspension work, ECU flash, and rearsets. For a new VFR owner, if keeping the farkles to minimum I'd flash the ECU via Don Guhl, send the forks to Jamie, then pick what is most important, new seat, helibars, and/or rearsets. The ECU Flash and fork work should be mandatory, rest optional.

Fantastic bike. I marvel at how well you can sling the big bitch around in the turns. Hooks up on corner exit extremely well. I'm able to still be well leaned over and hammer out of the corners. Only wish would be delinked brakes and ABS removal.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I like the bike and want to get one. I see 2010 m/t with around 4000 miles and luggage for 7500.00.

You need to buy that bike...that is a STEAL for what you will get!

I just sold mine with hardbags, heated grips and 1900 miles for the equivalent of 7 grand USD, so it's not that great of a deal :P

• Member Contributer

Well I like the bike and want to get one. I see 2010 m/t with around 4000 miles and luggage for 7500.00.

I just sold mine with hardbags, heated grips and 1900 miles for the equivalent of 7 grand USD, so it's not that great of a deal :P

$7500 is still a great deal. Your light population location in Manitoba was going to make it difficult to sell your bike and being a DCT is a little harder still. You mentioned your buyer ended up coming from a long way off. I'd say your buyer got a great deal and you got away from a bike that really never turned your crank. Win-Win.

• Member Contributer

It makes a pretty poster ^^^ ...

• Member Contributer

Was at GP Bikes (a local bike shop) on the weekend and no sooner got off the bike than a fellow came over to tell me what a horrible bike I had and how he sold his shortly after he bought it. Taken somewhat aback I asked him why he felt that way. He regaled me with his tale of buying a 2010 VFR 1200 FD back when they first came out for full pop ($16K+) and all the things that were wrong with it. As he went through his rather substantial laundry list I was able to answer in kind;

Him: Damn expensive

Me: Bought mine as a demo for about $5k less

Him: Crap fueling in first and second

Me: Don Guhl ECU flash fixed that

Him: Riding position too cramped

Me: Lowering the foot pegs solved that

Him: Seat was horrible

Me: Had mine recovered by Sargent

Him: No heated grips

Me: Put on OEM heated grips

Him: No cruise

Me: Added electronic cruise

Him: Bike handled like a pig

Me: Tried several different tires and settled on Angel GT's which really helped. Have also heard getting Jamie to redo forks and shocks is worthwhile.

He finally relented and wandered off, seemingly at a loss for my satisfied answers to each of his points and jumped on his Repsol Honda CBR 1100 and rode away - a happy man who had found the ride that suited him. As I watched him ride away there is no doubt you make of your ride what you will. Love it or List it.

beautiful day for a ride yesterday....i walked out to the garage with the Valkyrie key in my hand.....but it was to no avail.....the VFR won....it's difficult,...it really is

• 1 month later...

Interesting topic and my 1st say from a noob very new to this forum, and to not only Honda, but proudly a new VFR1200.... I guess very simply (like me) it's akin to a conversation on who's the better footy team, whom has the better cage brand, is it steak at medium or well done... Need I go on. The great things about opinions is we all have one, we all have a ar5h0l3 too... Life's short, ride hard and enjoy whatever your mount... John the noob!

• Member Contributer

beautiful day for a ride yesterday....i walked out to the garage with the Valkyrie key in my hand.....but it was to no avail.....the VFR won....it's difficult,...it really is

Having a difficult choice between two rides is a good problem to have! :smile2:

I'm very late to this party but I'll throw my $.02 in. I have found that the majority of folks who don't like the bike have never ridden it. My biggest complaint was with the suspension as I'm a tad bigger than Honda planned when designing (260 lbs). Heck the flat spot in 1st and 2nd really hasn't been something I notice often as I keep the RPMs up past that point. A trip to DMr for the forks and shock and the bike is literally transformed from great to absolutely perfect for me. I agree that one bike isn't going to fit everyone and what works for me isn't necessarily going to work for the next guy. However, that doesn't mean that the bike is a bad bike and the 7th gen I think often gets a bad rap from the keyboard ninjas who have never ridden one.

My example: Bought a new Goldwing in 2008. Fantastic bike in all aspects in my opinion. Tons of power, all the goodies standard, huge aftermarket support if desired, etc. But alas, riding the bike gave me some awful back pain that I couldn't get figured out. I bought my 6th gen viffer and immediately realized that with both of those bikes in my garage, the Wing was the one that would never LEAVE the garage so I sold it. I could go around spouting off about how bad that bike is based upon my back pain when in reality it is a great bike and just didn't fit me for whatever reason.

To answer the OP, my positive things to say about the 7th gen: Great power, great brakes, great paint, great handling (esp with a small investment in suspension work), and best of all is a polarizing bike that creates conversation wherever you go with it!

I'm late to this discussion too and a relatively new owner to boot having just bought my 2010 about 3 months ago.

1. These bikes are the greatest used motorcycle value of all time. Mine was a one owner, 7,500 miles, serviced by the dealer, had 3 bags, center stand, heated grips a Ram mount, Throttle Meister. Not a scratch anywhere. $7,800.

2. The User Engineering Team has done a great job of sorting out the minor problems that occur on any motorcycle so I took their advice:

A. GUHL Reflash - Turned a nice motorcycle into a mean (in a good way) monster.

B. Heli Bars

C. Lower Pegs.

D. Tuned the suspension based on a power-user's advice from the other forum. Great.

3. My Ducati's have GREAT brakes. The VFR brakes are better. I never imagined.

4. The engine is an engineering marvel. So powerful, so smooth.

So, a big gripe is about the lack of range. Really now, how often do people want to or have to ride more than 150 miles between gas/pee/drink stops? I don't want to and no one I ride with wants to. I think this complaint is piling on.

I have always liked the way it looks and have constant comments about how great it looks. The paint (red) gets the most comments. And, where I ride, it's a unique ride in the sea of dumb BMW R1200's of all variety. The BMW riders, that constantly claim their' ride is the most versatile, only bike you need, motorcycle, must never have ridden a VFR1200. I did because so many people told me THE bike to own for sport touring was the BMW. Wow, what a dog. Putt-putt-putt, clunk, putt-putt-putt, clunk - 90 year old design as good as it's ever going to get and that's not very good.

It goes without saying that Hondas fit/finish/quality is the best of any motorcycle. Has been for ever and the VFR1200F is the best of their engineering and manufacturing skill. Remove and reintstall the side fairings and tank covers and tell me you're not impressed with the tolerance design and control. Incredible.

I'll add one comment about a "problem" that is only a problem maybe for riders that have been riding Honda's primarily and haven't experienced other brands, particularly Ducati's. The problem is a hesitation/stumbling in 1st or 2nd gear at around 3,000RPM. The other forum has pages of discussion about this. Mine does this even after the Guhl reflash, but I tested riding at 3,000RPM in every gear and found the same flat spot in power. Well, this is just like my Ducati's! How do I deal with it? Always ride at 4,000RPM or above. Since I started riding my VFR this way I've had no problems. What do I do at slow speeds in 1st gear? Pull in the clutch and rev the engine.

The VFR1200F is no easy chair and not a track day knee dragger. It's just the best motorcycle for everyday, any distant use for riders that want a comfortable hot rod - killer engine in a great package. Like a Porsche or Corvette.

• 3 weeks later...

I am also late to this topic. I have a 2013 (Billy bad ass black & silver here in the states) and I like it a lot. Over 48 years and many bikes street riding and a lot of drag racing this is one of the better street rides I have had. I have owned very few bikes that I didn't find something I thought needed improvement and the VFR 1200 is no exception. Honda engineering is not perfect. The 1969 750's had a problem with breaking drive chains and when they did breaking the cases in front of the drive sprocket, The 1977, 1978 750 single cam super sport model had lousy valve spring retainers and dropped valves when ridden hard. The CBX had peanut butter rods and I worked on more than a few that spun rod bearings or worse threw rods. The early Honda V4's had top end oiling problems that burned up cam lobes. Most of the gripes from actual owners about the VFR 1200 concern fueling problems below 4000 RPM and the power limitations in 1st & 2nd gear as well as relatively poor fuel milage. The big VFR is a damn good bike with 1st class fit & finish, decent handling and outstanding brakes. It is not a touring or a sport bike as it comes from Honda. It can be made into a good sport touring bike.

Archived