Anyone Have Something Positive On The Vfr1200?

aks801

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also had an FZ1 and an FJR, both gen 2's. Now I only have the VFR1200. It is a good mix of the two!

Exactly. I still would like to get FZ1, but there are just so many nice bikes coming out. If I have to stay with one bike--VFR12 all the way.

strolling through a large dealership today and browsing just about every brand of bike out there...tried to imagine what i would replace the VFR1200 with if i had to....Ducatis, Yamahas, Kawasakis,......nah......short list would prob be 1290 Super Duke, Touno V4 RR and BMW S 1000R .....don't know if any besides the BMW would match the VFR for all around every day use............they didn't have a VFR1200......:-(

• Member Contributer

i've been toying around with a KTM 1290 Super Adventure but not anymore since I just sent my suspension out to DMR for some magic sprinkle dust... :goofy:

• Member Contributer

Should not have been a VFR maybe a SF or a STF but not a VFR . To me the bike does not represent the VFR progression . Have not own one BUT probably never will .

Roll On ..

Should not have been a VFR maybe a SF or a STF but not a VFR . To me the bike does not represent the VFR progression . Have not own one BUT probably never will .

Roll On ..

Why? Have you ridden one?

• Member Contributer

Roll On ..

Nope I have ridden with a couple but never on one . Straight away speed was impressive but the cornering speed was not .

Roll On ..

• Member Contributer

Roll On ..

Nope I have ridden with a couple but never on one . Straight away speed was impressive but the cornering speed was not .

Roll On ..

I have had a 6th gen and 7th gen. The VFR1200 feels much more planted in the turns than the 6th gen. which, was no slouch. The VFR1200 is a little slower in quick transitions. Overall, for me, I find the VFR1200 a better handling motorcycle.

Roll On ..

Roll On ..

Corning speed has nothing to do with the bike. Fairly typical that the only people who crap on the 1200 are those who have never ridden it. Your opinion on what constitutes a "VFR" is irrelevant.

Roll On ..

Roll On ..

Corning speed has nothing to do with the bike. Fairly typical that the only people who crap on the 1200 are those who have never ridden it. Your opinion on what constitutes a "VFR" is irrelevant.

Honda's New Clothes, this sounds like... The VFR 1200 is a pretty decent bike but it is not perfect.

I've owned one, it wasn't for me so I sold it. Is my opinion irrelevant just because it differs from yours too?

I've never seen so many people get so defensive about a bike.

Hey there.

O.P. checking in again.

Lots of passionate discussion in this thread, yep.

So I scratched the FJ-09 from my short list. Handlebar feels a mile wide. No thanks.

I'm really debating between the VFR12 and the new 8th-gen VFR800. Can't go wrong with either, but the allure of that VFR12 and the DCT is very strong. And I actually LOVE its appearance, have since its day of introduction.

• Member Contributer

Roll On ..

Roll On ..

Honda's New Clothes, this sounds like... The VFR 1200 is a pretty decent bike but it is not perfect.

I've owned one, it wasn't for me so I sold it. Is my opinion irrelevant just because it differs from yours too?

+1 it's a Honda so I know it is a decent bike BUT it's not ,to me, a VFR . I will ride one and give feed back.

Roll On ..

Roll On ..

Roll On ..

No your opinion is relevant because it's intelligent and you actually have owned and ridden one

the VFR1200 has a lot more in common with the RC213V than it does with the ST1300

I currently own and ride a Vfr1200. I changed a few things to make it better for me. Bars, pegs, windsheild,exaust, ecu program you get the idea. I personally like the looks of my bike. Not every bike,car,truck,house or any other thing in this world is for everyone.I have friends I ride with try talk me into buying a Harley."That's not happening ". The bikes are nice but not for me,and I'm pushing 50 LOL.

Ride what you want.If you aren't happy with it, there are lots of other options.

• Member Contributer

Yes! I have a lot of positive things to say about the VFR1200, The Engine is a cracker, loads of useable power, ie TORQUE, you don't need to rev the tits of it to ride quickly. Yes I know some of you in the States want more top end speed,but here in the UK, it is more than quick enough. :smile2: The handling for most riders is OK, but for me, it could be better, so I have upgraded the suspension. The Brakes, are awesome, standard, so you don't need to do anything with them. And that says a lot coming from me. :smile2: Straight line stability is perfect. cross winds don't seem to bother it. So as a sports tourer, it is perfect, please note, I said sports tourer, not TOURER.

Yes! I have a lot of positive things to say about the VFR1200, The Engine is a cracker, loads of useable power, ie TORQUE, you don't need to rev the tits of it to ride quickly. Yes I know some of you in the States want more top end speed,but here in the UK, it is more than quick enough. :smile2: The handling for most riders is OK, but for me, it could be better, so I have upgraded the suspension. The Brakes, are awesome, standard, so you don't need to do anything with them. And that says a lot coming from me. :smile2: Straight line stability is perfect. cross winds don't seem to bother it. So as a sports tourer, it is perfect, please note, I said sports tourer, not TOURER.

It's a good thing you don't have to rev it high, that 9k redline is shocking after riding a supersport :)

The guy who bought my bike remarked about it after his first ride (he rides a 929RR also)

I'm with you, the engine needs almost nothing (except an ECU flash to fix the fuelling in 1&2) If I'd have kept it, I probably would have had the shocks/forks redone by Jamie D.

• Member Contributer

So let me get this right. I spend approx $21000 in UK and then spend another load of money correcting all of its faults. Then i get a bike that does everything my 5th gen does except its faster which i could never use here. Honda dealer, here i come! :schla15::schla15::schla15:

• Member Contributer

Doesn't make a lot of sense Ade, the 5th gen has all the power I can handle anyway,the only bike taking my attention at the minute is the new Africa Twin to be released later this year,looking forward to seeing it.

So let me get this right. I spend approx $21000 in UK and then spend another load of money correcting all of its faults. Then i get a bike that does everything my 5th gen does except its faster which i could never use here. Honda dealer, here i come! :schla15::schla15::schla15:

The 1200 is not simply faster than the 5th gen. It's much much faster, brakes much much better, the front end is far superior, the shaft drive is smooth and needs no adjustment or oiling. It is, simply put, a massive improvement as a sports tourer over the 5th gen. Now, don't get me wrong, I still have my 5th gen. I love the thing and will keep it forever barring financial disaster. But it can't do what the 1200 can and it's motor, as good as it is, can't compete with the sheer delight of the power delivery of the 12. I had to do exactly the same things to my 5th gen before I was completely satisfied with its handling and felt I'd got the most out of it as I've done to my 1200. Yes, the 12 needs some upgrades if it is to satisfy the committed and experienced rider, just as the 5th and 6th gen bikes and all those before that, did.

I don't get the constant criticism of the 1200. Honda made a bigger shaft drive VFR just like everyone said they should and as soon as they delivered it people wanted to kill it!!! Meanwhile, they happily continued to modify every other new bike that rolled out of the showrooms. Go figure!!!

• Member Contributer

Doesn't make a lot of sense Ade, the 5th gen has all the power I can handle anyway,the only bike taking my attention at the minute is the new Africa Twin to be released later this year,looking forward to seeing it.

+1 on the Africa Twin. Although i will NEVER sell my VFR.

• Member Contributer

+1 on the Africa Twin. Although i will NEVER sell my VFR.

With the DCT option .

Roll On ..

Archived