Anyone Have Something Positive On The Vfr1200?

aks801

• Member Contributer

I think it's the most beautiful bike that Honda has ever built... And I've owned three VFR's but Love the looks of this one and the performance now too.

16578565004_ce8a6dc1fa_b.jpg

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got my 2010 recently. Love it! Test rode a fair few bikes and was really looking at a Tiger Sport 1050 or something but instantly fell for this VFR1200 manual within a couple of minutes of riding her. Problem is I like the noise she makes above 6k revs so it's not so easy behaving at times.

My bike is totally standard, I never read up on them before purchase at all as I never planned on getting one! So was none the wiser with regard to the 1st/2nd gear issues, would not be a concern now if I handed read the forums. Maybe go for the ECU flash after a month or two and add an exhaust. Stock one is very quiet although I think it looks nice.

Can't comment on how good the bike is in comparison to much, all I know is is I find it flipping brilliant. :D

Mine c/w Honda luggage was same price as CBR650F that I traded in, bargain really. Not sure if I would buy (edit: could afford) a new one though.

The VFR is a decent bike, but I would not call it awesome. After I turned an 08 1kRR into a track bike, I figure something a bit more grown up was in order. I love the CBR, I like the VFR. If they took 100 lbs of useless crap out of it, it would be awesome. Kind of along the lines of what Ariel did. V4 is sublime. Ridiculously crappy fueling out of the box. Nice paint. Transmission is lazy (sure, its not a race bike, but still, honda can do better). Single sided swing arm looks awesome. I don't even know where they found the front rim, but the lead dealers would like their dead weight back. No space to store anything. Still have a great time on it, it is very functional and comfy for around town, but it is not soul stirring.

• Member Contributer

This VFR has PLENTY of soul. If you want a shaft drive SPORT Tourer this Honda hits it's mission out of the park. Riding this motorcycle on backcountry "A" roads is just effortless. When you have to squeeze in a 3,000 mile ride vacation in a week and superslab a 824 mile day....it handles that effortlessly too. My VFR handled a track day at Road America.....(yeah you guessed it) ....effortlessly. Guess you could say I love this VFR. Traded in my 2010 Kawasaki C14 for my new leftover 2010 VFR in 2012... best move I ever made. This VFR just blows the C14 out of the water. The C14...now THAT'S a souless ride. The VFR is not a 450lb sport bike....Aprilia makes that bike....let's see Aprilia make the RSV4 with SHAFT drive and SSS and hard luggage....and 1200cc's...bet that bike would be around 17K. and +550 lbs. For ME...Honda DID hit a home run with this VFR.

• Member Contributer

Ridiculously crappy fueling out of the box.

Only the earlier models.

• Member Contributer

Only the earlier models.

That's not entirely true. Some 2010-11 models did not have a fueling problem at low revs, some did, and some didn't. Just like the 2012-13 models, some are perfect, and some are not. But overall the 12-13 was a big improvement.

The VFR1200F is a great road bike. If you felt Honda's initial marketing blurb promised the world but delivered Lichtenstein then you need to have a word with yourself! Who believes anything the marketeers say? They're not even part of the team!

This bike does what it should. It has the power to entertain and the brakes to control that power. It's endless torque is just simply wonderful. It can be ridden hard or lazily or inbetween. You can munch the miles with your wife and luggage on board or you can go for a blast with your mates and watch them disappear in your mirrors. In short it does what it should and it does it bloody well.

Of course it's not perfect, show me a mass produced bike that is in this price bracket? There are plenty of other manufacturers offerings that cost more too.

Sure it can be improved. Many riders probably find it fine in standard trim. For me suspension upgrades are needed, I have new rear shock and forks rebuilds scheduled in for next month. I've also put a Dam on it, a new screen, hugger and fender extender on but these are things I do to all my bikes.

1st & 2nd gear? Well I have the TC kicking in enough already so I'm not sure my 2013 needs much doing there, we'll see...

For me this is an awesome road bike, it's fun, I love its looks, I love that motor and I can do everything I want on it. All IMHO naturally.

• Member Contributer

Only the earlier models.

That's not entirely true. Some 2010-11 models did not have a fueling problem at low revs, some did, and some didn't. Just like the 2012-13 models, some are perfect, and some are not. But overall the 12-13 was a big improvement.

True this. My '10 is fueled fine, even at slow speeds...with DCT. At least as good as any bike I've owned.

O.P. here.

Really nice to see the replies! Lots of positives, which I was soliciting of course, but also some fair criticisms.

I'm just now re-entering the market, and not sure what bike I will go with at this point, but the short-list currently stands at: VFR 1200; VFR 800; FJ-09.

I have had mine for about 2 1/2 years and love it.

It's super stable, great in the wind, fit and finish is top notch, fantastic brakes, awesome engine, people are constantly commenting on how nice it looks.

Added heli bars, PR5's and a Corbin seat - those mods pay for themselves on every ride.

I also like the front end and suspension, it stays planted in the bumps and turns - no funny business.

Happy Riding!

Man I wish I had one of those "magical" 2010's.... My R1 is a bit jerky/temperamental (stock ECU) but nothing compared to the VFR.

• Member Contributer

Man I wish I had one of those "magical" 2010's.... My R1 is a bit jerky/temperamental (stock ECU) but nothing compared to the VFR.

As I said, some were worse than others

The more other bikes I ride, the more I appreciate just how well sorted the VFR1200 is as a package. The engine heat management is bar none the best - I rarely feel much heat, even on the hottest Houston summer days. The power is phenomenal, for such as compact size. The refinement of the power train, even considering the not-so-spot-on low speed fuel metering, is better than a lot of other bikes out there. BTW, I must have one of those magical '10... either that, or it doesn't bother me as much as it does other riders. I kinda think it's the latter.

Seat height is wonderfully low, for us inseam challenged, too. This is just a great everyday bike to ride.

I completely agree with Volfy. There are times I lust after some strange... but when it comes down to brass tacks, the VFR1200 is (almost) exactly what I look for in a bike.

• Member Contributer

The engine heat management is bar none the best - I rarely feel much heat, even on the hottest Houston summer days.

Agreed. Though the engine itself seems to get very hot and retain heat long after its been shut off, for the rider the heat is managed very well.

• Member Contributer

POS bike... and it Handles so bad and is so gutless that I can't believe I got my photo Taken by the Polizzerati at 140 in an 80 zone... uphill...

When attempting a 0 - 100 km/h Trial... it Accelerated so snail-like that by the Time I managed to Look Down at the instrument Panel, it was, Obviously Erroneously, Indicating 180...

And the Bloody Front wheel Just wouldn't stay on the ground...

Lol!!!!

• Member Contributer

I want to see someone make a "Streetfighter" out of one... I think it would be the coolest bike ever. :goofy:

Actually, it's been done!

ariel-ace-bespoke-motorcycle-0.jpg

http://www.gizmag.com/ariel-ace-bespoke-motorcycle/32733/

Of course, it's a damned expensive street fighter...

I've seen them but I was talking about a real one, made from the original frame and motor... I would try it but don't have the skills...

I always wanted to own VFR, but could not afford either the bike (6th gen) or the insurance. When I finally could afford one, other bikes happened. Some better, other worse.

I ended up with two bikes: FJR1300 and FZ1. FZ was and is a brilliant bike. With FJR, however, I wasn't happy.

Once I saw left over VFR1200 and tested it. I traded both my bikes for this one.

Never looked back.

Love this bike and count smiles per hour it delivers.

Archived