Wobble From Handlebars When Braking Around 30Mph

adg44

I've noticed this for a while, but whenever I'm braking, regardless if it is from 70 MPH or 40 MPH, once the speed passes through 30 MPH, I get a wobble through the bars. It does this if it is a hard brake or a light brake.

Any ideas? I just passed 12,000 miles on the bike. Took it out for the first ride of the season and it fired right up and ran perfectly after sitting hooked up to a trickle charger for the past 6 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

If it's only during braking, check the runout of the rotors. If it also does it when decelerating without using front brakes, check for cupped or scalloped tires (and correct pressure), loose steering head bearings, bad front wheel bearings or sticking or loose calipers.

If it's only during braking, check the runout of the rotors. If it also does it when decelerating without using front brakes, check for cupped or scalloped tires (and correct pressure), loose steering head bearings, bad front wheel bearings or sticking or loose calipers.

For those of us without dial indicators, what's an easy way to check run-out?

• Member Contributer

You can get a dial indicator from harbor freight for $32.00. I had the same issue, and was able to straighten my rotor/carrier with info from a thread.

• |
  • Clamping Dial Indicator

image_13704.jpg

Double click on above image to view full picture

slider_btn_zoom_out.gif
slider_btn_zoom_in.gif
image_13704.jpg
Clamping Dial Indicator
Pittsburgh - Item#93051
This clamping dial indicator mounts almost anywhere
lg-share-en.gif

Only: $34.99
Sale: $32.99
Qty:

There's a thread here about lubing & rotating disc buttons. I did this & it completely stopped a similar vibration I had on my 98.

• Member Contributer

IMO the most likely common cause is worn stock/factory steering head bearings...with used tires. Going to taperd roller bearings reduces this significantly..multiple threads and postings on the subject. I have also gone through and trued my brake rotors...every little bit helps.

Matt

• Member Contributer

<p>

You can get a dial indicator from harbor freight for $32.00. I had the same issue, and was able to straighten my rotor/carrier with info from a thread.

logo_hft.png

That is a nice tool!

Must speak with my Trans Atlantic mule :-)

I'll second the head bearings. I had the same symptom but at around 40mph. Tapered bearings from All Balls not only fixed it, but also made it better than stock IMO.

<p>

logo_hft.png

That is a nice tool!

I can pick you up & mail you one if you need it.

• Member Contributer

Don't bother with disk tools.

It will be your steering head bearings.

A warped disk will pulsate or vibrate, it won't wobble your bars.

Worn/lose bearings will.

• Member Contributer

<p>

logo_hft.png

That is a nice tool!

I can pick you up & mail you one if you need it.

Cheers! But shipping and Dutch Customs will have $$$ field day......

Muling it will have to be.... :goofy:

Check everything as noted, but the quickest easiest check woudl be the condiion of your tires. tread cupping on the front tire will, in most cases, cause such wobbles during braking/decelerating. Change the front tire if it is cupped. Doing such solved my own similar wobble problems when I changed my Dunlop "cupmonster" tires to much better Michelin PR's......

• Member Contributer

You have experienced a deceleration shimmy and it's normal...
some bikes may shimmy decelerating through the 45 mph range... keeping
your hands on the bars should arrest most of the front end shimmy...
some bikes shimmy more than others and it's no big deal with your
hands on the bars in the critical speed range... your bike should be
immune at speeds above 45 mph...

Deceleration shimmy is chiefly the product of non OEM or a worn
tires... it ain't the product of tire cupping... but low pressure or
loose steering head bearings defeat the tire's corrective efforts...
because every bike has this instability... it is held in check by
damping forces created mainly by the tire's self-correcting
tendencies...

In short...
Deceleration Shimmy = front tire problems... (annoying)...
Wobble = front end problems... (could grow into the dreaded tank slapper)
Weave = rear end problems... (annoying)...

STEERING HEAD BEARINGS
If your steering head bearings are too tight the bike will wonder and
not seek it own center... if you're steering head bearings are loose
you'll notice a pronounce clunk during braking... I don't use torque
figures rather I raise the front wheel off the ground and tighten the
steering head bearings until the bars lock then I back off the nut
until the bars free wheel with a slight drag... with this method you
find that sweat spot and avoid over tightening and under tightening
even if you upgrade to taper roller bearings...

Don't bother with disk tools.

It will be your steering head bearings.

A warped disk will pulsate or vibrate, it won't wobble your bars.

Worn/lose bearings will.

Mate, how does one definitively test for bad steering head bearings? Thanks!

To check steering head bearings:

1- put bike up on center stand

2- have someone sit on the back of the bike so the front is raised off the ground

3- move the steering wheel from side to side feeling for any notchiness or uneven movemment

4- if they're worn it will probably be a center notch where it will recenter itself

Good info here, guys. I am quite positive it's not the rotors, as there is no pulsation or vibration in the brake lever, and this only happens at ~30MPH, whereas the rotors should do it whenever the brakes are applied, and especially at higher speeds.

Does anyone have a how-to on changing the steering head bearings?

• Member Contributer

Not too bad a job, easier than i thought, never done them before. Just follow the manual for removal. Hardest part was driving the new bearing races home. As i am a tightwad and didn't want to buy all the pullers etc etc i made this up from some allthread, various sockets and knackered Citroen suspension bushes! Dont all laugh but it worked a treat.

post-30687-0-43154400-1431202785.jpg

Ps flask was just sat there NOT part of the tool. :biggrin:

Good info here, guys. I am quite positive it's not the rotors, as there is no pulsation or vibration in the brake lever, and this only happens at ~30MPH, whereas the rotors should do it whenever the brakes are applied, and especially at higher speeds.

Does anyone have a how-to on changing the steering head bearings?

Don't be so positive. I had a similar vibration only at around 30 miles per hour and it ended up being the bobbins on the discs needed lubing.

• Member Contributer

Freeing/lubing the bobbins....

I saw a video on that a while ago and to be sure phone EBC Brakes' tech department in the UK.

They had never heard of that, didnot feel it was required and IF I wanted to do that procedure with the bolts and washer I was told to be very careful with the applied pressure...

I will clean mine with brake cleaner today and see if I can ascertain any difference though...

• Member Contributer

I saw a video on that a while ago and to be sure phone EBC Brakes' tech department in the UK.

They had never heard of that, didnot feel it was required and IF I wanted to do that procedure with the bolts and washer I was told to be very careful with the applied pressure...

I will clean mine with brake cleaner today and see if I can ascertain any difference though...

i used rubber washers against the buttons to grip them without having to apply much pressure. The cleaning did eliminate the low speed brake pulsing i had.

Bolt - washer- rubber washer - "button" - rubber washer - washer - nut

• 2 weeks later...

So did it work for you?

Archived