Crazy Dutch....

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Can't get over that tire on an 8 spoke. Beautifully done package. Good call on fitting the Y2K mirrors - looks much better than the stockers.

Pretty darned talented. ..those front brakes are tits

Can you lean into turns with the sidecar? Don't you guys drive on the wrong side of the road? That way the sidecar wouldn't hide the beautiful wheel with it on the left side...no? ..... :-)

• Member Contributer

Pretty darned talented. ..those front brakes are tits

Can you lean into turns with the sidecar? Don't you guys drive on the wrong side of the road? That way the sidecar wouldn't hide the beautiful wheel with it on the left side...no? ..... :-)

Sidecars don't lean--they lift!

The Dutch drive on the same side of the road as you do; only the UK and certain unfortunate foremer colonies continue to drive on the "wrong" side of the road...

FWIW, this is the first time I recall seeing a VFR-sidecar rig, but the French have been doing this exact same thing to sport/sport-touring bikes for ages. Usually using much larger ones, e.g., ZX-10, given that it takes a lot more engine to haul around a sidecar, and a VFR750F can struggle just carrying a passenger and luggage... :wink:

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

At a local bike night, esp. during the winter months, a guy shows up with a sportbike (can't remember what) with a side car. And his St. Bernard dog as passenger. When he leaves he invariably lifts the sidecar to a 45 degree angle as he rides down the street. The dog is higher in the air than his helmet. The dog acts like it happens all the time and looks like he enjoys the outing. (Tongue hanging out, spit flying, head held high - can't see his tail - must be sitting on it.)

Never fails to turn heads and bring a smile to all who observe. Sorry, no pics.

Even though it looks simple, riding a sidecar rig takes quite a bit of learning, as it can get you in trouble quickly if you do not know how to set up for turns, especially off-camber braking turns, as one can be surprised how easy it is to loft the sidecar and get you out of control, if you get into a right turn too hot and have to brake hard at the same time for a stop or an emergency., especially if the sidecar happens to be empty. I found this out when I first rode brother's Ural sidecar rig a couple of years ago..... Lucky there was no car going the other way on the road that day.....

• Member Contributer

You rode a Ural Beck? How was it? Must have been a blast. But it is no sport ride, is it. I heard that the power is quite low... Btw, you must be right, it must take some getting used to to ride with a side car, but I would expect that newer bikes are a bit easier due to newer and better technology. But I'd love to ride one for kick.

Cheers,

C

You rode a Ural Beck? How was it? Must have been a blast. But it is no sport ride, is it. I heard that the power is quite low... Btw, you must be right, it must take some getting used to to ride with a side car, but I would expect that newer bikes are a bit easier due to newer and better technology. But I'd love to ride one for kick.

Cheers,

C

One word to describe the Ural 750 Rig....."Agricultural"..

I guess one can get used to it eventually, like my brother did, he took it to work every day for like four years...Weird thing is, his Ural previous to the rig which was just a regular bike with no sidecar, was even worse to drive with al sorts of bad behavior like really really really grabby front drum brakes (till you get them warmed up), to the point that it was almost dangerous to ride, the gearbox was recalcitrant and would not change gears unless you literally stomped on the two ended shift lever, and it vibrated even worse than his sidecar rig (I guess the sidecar was helping damp out some of the engine vibration on it)......... Literally painful to drive, his first Ural was.....And those really squeaky shock springs, even when new!...... Ughhhh...

• Member Contributer

Well Cock,

next time you are in Holland....

http://www.silverline.nl/motorverhuur_motoren_ural_tourist_zijspan

Hehehe. Tempting! Careful to what you say, last time I said ok and went!!

Despite its rough ride, I still think it would be a blast for one or two hours. And it would make me appreciate the 6th gen a lot more.

I will keep my eyes peeled for a conference or something legit but I wouldn't hold my breadth for 2015 or even 2016. But who knows, miracles do happen! Or not...

C

Cheers,

C

One word to describe the Ural 750 Rig....."Agricultural"..

I guess one can get used to it eventually, like my brother did, he took it to work every day for like four years...Weird thing is, his Ural previous to the rig which was just a regular bike with no sidecar, was even worse to drive with al sorts of bad behavior like really really really grabby front drum brakes (till you get them warmed up), to the point that it was almost dangerous to ride, the gearbox was recalcitrant and would not change gears unless you literally stomped on the two ended shift lever, and it vibrated even worse than his sidecar rig (I guess the sidecar was helping damp out some of the engine vibration on it)......... Literally painful to drive, his first Ural was.....And those really squeaky shock springs, even when new!...... Ughhhh...

Hey Beck,

Since nobody else is picking up on this one, I will. Why did you say his FIRST Ural?? Did he like it so much he got ANOTHER one?!?? :wacko:

C

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Well, the dutch crafstman posted a first testride picture.
A bit too cold for the 6 month old one, but the maxi-cosi is fitted!

Foto-E88OBWJX-D.jpg

post-8974-0-78083600-1431762794.jpg

Archived