Florida Boy Needs Advice For Winter Gloves

burnes45

• Member Contributer

Wimpy Florida boy need advice on winter gloves! Thought I would ask our northern climate riders for their suggestions. Have about a 10 mile commute and my hands and neck area are freezing off. Have been looking at gloves and prices are all over the map. Dont mind paying for quality but dont want to over pay for uncomfortable and non function able. Water proof would be nice but not a deal breaker. Suggestions to keep my neck warm would be nice too. Thanks Dana.

post-30227-0-10604000-1417395031.jpg

• Member Contributer

Spidi T-Winter gloves work great for me. Wind and water proof, and you can still feel the throttle/ brakes. Once it gets below 30 degrees they stop working so well, but until then no major issues. Retail is $109 but they are worth it.

Get a FLY Ignitor Balaclava which is the best one on the market for the price. Its as good as a Klim for half the price.

I agree with Switchblade a taller windscreen will make a difference. Heated grips are a nice addition too.

• Member Contributer

I have something similar to these and having a warm neck makes an otherwise uncomfortable ride very enjoyable. Riding to work here in Colorado last week in the mid 20s and upper 60s on the way home. The cold mornings are well worth the warm afternoons.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=neck+gaiters&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=27054287403&hvpos=1t3&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=9299155437273176092&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_6rhszr4ugj_b

• Member Contributer

10 mile commute?

Get a pair of heated grips. I have heated glove liners but that is a bit more "work" to hook up (for a 10 mile commute)

As for the neck, I have 2 "tubes"; one of which the lower part is fleece for cooler rider.

post-8974-0-55352300-1417427774.jpg

post-8974-0-79657100-1417427796.jpg

10 miles, ever considered bicycling?

• Member Contributer

I commute further and the weather over here will hit freezing at some stage soon. For a short journey, you should be able to get away with almost any pair of gloves, but as you say you are getting cold, then a decent set of heated grips will definitely help. The best winter gloves I have ever worn are my current Richa Cold Protect GTX. I don't know if they're available over there, but they are the warmest and most comfortable winter gloves I've tried and I have tried a few.

For your neck, you'll need a windproof balaclava. Should be simple enough to find. If not, then try a sailing clothing website....they do neck protection which is both wind & waterproof, such as this from Rooster. I use this now and it's brilliant.....warm fleecy material on the inside, waterproof around your neck and windproof too.

• Member Contributer

Scootr Mitts. Strap then on when cold; quickly take them off when warm.

http://www.amazon.com/Kwik-Tek-ScootR-Logic-Mitts/dp/B002887TWE

I have used the Oxford Products version of those on my 5th Gen before. They do an excellent job of keeping the cold & rain out but they do interfere with the controls, especially at speed.

• Member Contributer

When it gets too cold for my summer gloves I use Bagster Box-R. Like the scooter mitts above. They take a little getting used to but are easy to take on and off and are great at cutting that cold air right away from your hands. They make heated ones as well. Way better than gloves.

For my neck I use a half balaclava or a neck sock. It comes up over my chin but not right over my head.

With this and my Dainese Gator Evo jacket I routinely ride for several hours down to about -5c (that's somewhere about the high 20s or low 30s)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Member Contributer

"Florida" and "motorcycles" conjure up a wide range of images in my head (I've been Daytona Beach Bike Week..)

but cold is not featured....

Never too old to learn.... :goofy:

Cold hands an/or feet is your body telling you that it needs to use available heat for more vital organs.

Your picture does feature a helmet so I assume you have that on your head.

That leaves the rest of your gear; if by choice you wear jeans/normal fabric jacket, try putting a simple rain jacket/rain trousers on. Wearing boots is also a plus.

• Member Contributer

We hear that Florida winters are brutal and we are praying that you make it through it ok. Please let us know if you need us to send you any emergency supplies.

• Member Contributer

I'm curious to know what temperatures are we looking at? I have Knox Outdry gloves and they do really well down to about 40F but anything below these temps they don't retain heat after a while, but using some glove liners helps, but only for a few degrees lower or for a little longer time.

Before using the Outdry gloves I actually used the Cycle Gear Freeze Out glove liners with a pair of Teknic Lightning gloves, which had a little more room for these liners, which are a little thick, but they did pretty good for liners in "summer" gloves, but anything below 40F and they wouldn't hold up for long either.

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the input. I have a Double bubble smoke windscreen I got with the sale of the bike. Will put on this weekend! Morning tempts in north Florida 30-40 f. and warm up to 50-70 f. I have summer gloves and did not know you could get liners. Will look in to this as Cycle Gear is not far away. Does not stay cold long enough to justify wiring or cost of heated grips or gloves. 2 months at most then back to baking in the sun. Neck cover looks like the way to go 1/2 and I'm good. Off to Cycle gear for a visit on both. Thanks again. Dana

RollinAgain Willing to accept donations of warm sunshine and spring break Coeds!!

Switchblade just looked closer at the picture you sent. Is that an add on to the stock windscreen or another wind screen assy?

• Member Contributer

Thanks for the input. I have a Double bubble smoke windscreen I got with the sale of the bike. Will put on this weekend! Morning tempts in north Florida 30-40 f. and warm up to 50-70 f. I have summer gloves and did not know you could get liners. Will look in to this as Cycle Gear is not far away. Does not stay cold long enough to justify wiring or cost of heated grips or gloves. 2 months at most then back to baking in the sun. Neck cover looks like the way to go 1/2 and I'm good. Off to Cycle gear for a visit on both. Thanks again. Dana

RollinAgain Willing to accept donations of warm sunshine and spring break Coeds!!

Switchblade just looked closer at the picture you sent. Is that an add on to the stock windscreen or another wind screen assy?

Note that Cycle Gear also has other "Freeze Out' goodies, like neck gaiters and Balaclavas. I'm typically not a big fan of the Bilt stuff, but have had good experience with their Freeze Out and Heat Out gear.

• Member Contributer

Switchblade, The picture of your wind screen what is the attachment? Are they still available? I've never seen one like that.

Thanks.

• Member Contributer

Switchblade, The picture of your wind screen what is the attachment? Are they still available? I've never seen one like that.

Thanks.

Sorry for the late post , yeah there still available here .

http://www.laminarlip.com

129SlayerVFR 001

Winter riding?

Nothing is worse than being hundreds of miles from the house and having hypothermia set in, it makes for an unpleasant ride home. The most important Body part to even begin comfort is the Core of the body, That is key to everything, usually you'll find by the time the hands are freezing, the Body core is too far gone. While gloves are a good start, it will never fix the issue until you deal with the core, and nothing works better than electrics for this purpose. So if going to spend money start there, it will be the best riding friend that you'll ever have.

• Member Contributer

Switchblade thanks or the link and the tip on the gloves. I'll have to pass on the heated gloves too small. Bought the freeze out glove liners and neck protector from Cycle gear yesterday. They were both on sale $9.99 each, Will try them out tomorrow morning suppose to be 40'F. Hoping for a warmer ride. Thanks to everyone for your help.

I'm late getting in, but: MotorcycleGear.com has a current deal on rechargeable, battery powered gloves. I'm tempted even though I have a heated jacket liner and gloves. Often due to short rides or positive changes in temperature all I need is the gloves 'til the sun gets up. Plus all that wiring can be a pita if I'm making very many stops. Good fortune, R3~

• Member Contributer

I rode to work this morning [about 40'F] very comfortable ride. The glove liners and neck protector worked great! There is just one more area that is getting cold. The gas tank between the legs is quite cold. Any suggestions?? Is that why I see tank bras on some bikes??

Archived