99 Vfr800 - Marks On My Engine Block..have You Seen These Before?

Rovari

• Member Contributer

Hello Peeps,

I'm just cleanin up the rear part of my engine just in front of where the shock sits and i noticed some lettering in orange...looks like "M / \ 188". Have any of you seen this on your VFR? I have included a couple of pictures.

Cheers :beer:

post-31404-0-18810600-1414709444.jpg

post-31404-0-75116700-1414709483.jpg

• Member Contributer

Never saw such on my Honda engines.....

Might your VIN/engine number provide a clue??

I figured that they might be related as well. Last 5 digits of VIN are 00338 ..don't really see a link. Looks to me like it could be a mark from a scrapper or parts place...

I am really hoping that's not the case...I'd rather someone come back and say this is a special hand built super engine. :sad:

Never saw such on my Honda engines.....

Might your VIN/engine number provide a clue??

I figured that they might be related as well. Last 5 digits of VIN are 00338 ..don't really see a link. Looks to me like it could be a mark from a scrapper or parts place...

I am really hoping that's not the case...I'd rather someone come back and say this is a special hand built super engine. :sad:

should add the engine serial number...it is: RC46E-2212113

I was also thinking that it could be a reconditioned engine from a salvager, but it does not seem to be as sloppily done as most salvager's marks that we see on most salvaged parts, but then the Honda factory workers do leave all sorts of marks on their engines and this might be just a number indicating a new batch of engines on the factory line, or something similar....

Heck, you might be right, it could be some special testing engine with racing goodies inside that was "misplaced" in the factory by Honda! :fing02::biggrin:

• Member Contributer

thanks guys, I'm still thinking its a super engine :unsure: . Should there be a correlation between the engine serial # and the VIN?

• Member Contributer

Those are factory markings. It's not a super engine, just a normal VFR motor with a manufacturing operation sign off on it.

+1

My '99 had similar markings from new.

• Member Contributer

Those are factory markings. It's not a super engine, just a normal VFR motor with a manufacturing operation sign off on it.

Thank you SEBSPEED, I was being sarcastic on the super engine :goofy: . It sounds like you have seen similar markings by the way that you responded. Everything else seems to align with the history of this bike, this was the twist.

Cheers!

• Member Contributer

+1

My '99 had similar markings from new.

Awesome!!! thank you vfrcapn, I will sleep good tonight. :biggrin: Now I just need to check the compression...thanks again :wheel:

• Member Contributer

It's probably a QA or supervisor mark off indicating it is ok to use in asssembly...

• Member Contributer

Thank you all for your comments. I was worried this was not a factory mark, based on your comments I am now very confident I have a super engine like every other VFR owner.. :cheerleader:

• Member Contributer

Yeah my Y2K has the same sort of markings I think they are post line boring notes, so both halves stay together & they have some indication of main bearing tolerance, or quality sign off.

Next question is wheres the back of your bike gone ?

• Member Contributer

I'm doing a full rebuild / cleanup.. http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/79475-1999-vfr800-project/..Parts are all over the place. Will start reassembling soon, still waiting for parts to arrive. Replacing the seals and any bearings that need to be. Giving the entire bike a much need bath and polish. :biggrin:

• Member Contributer

Thank you vfrcapn, unfortunately the tank or fuel pump wont be installed for a while....Hoping to do a quick crank test with the coils disconnected. I could ad some oil for a "wet" test..I'm thinking I should see at least 150-170psi...

will the starter give me 300rpm? seems reasonable

Archived